The Student Room Group

Opinions on smoking?

I'm just curious of what the general opinion is on smoking. I know some people who avoid it and hate those who do, and I have some who smoke and prefer other people who do, because they feel that if someone smokes it means they're more sociable. I smoke socially :redface:

Do you smoke? Why/Why not? What do you think of those that do?

Scroll to see replies

personally I think that smoking looks awesome like your at the bus stop light one up suddenly you dont seem too lonely
I had my first ciggie in year 9 but I proper learnt in year 11 .Im not going to lie smoking is a stepping stone after that I smoked weed then tried hashish . I dont feel influenced but was I . I dunno
Reply 2
Nope, think it's disgusting.

If other people want to do it, that's their problem. Just as long as they aren't breathing in my face I couldn't care less :smile:
It is a vile thing to do.

I do not smoke because: a) smoking is very harmful to the human body b) It smells disgusting c) I have heard it tastes disgusting d) Smoking harms others around you, especially children, making it a very selfish thing to do.

I definitely do not think highly of those who smoke.
Reply 4
Everyone in my college smokes, including most of my friends, so it took a while to get used to but I don't really care now as long as they don't breathe out onto my hair or clothes. There's probably only about 30 people in the whole college who don't smoke (including myself) but I still wouldn't let anyone pressure me into it. Smoking is a pointless habit and I hope that one day it becomes illegal to smoke in all public places because smoking / passive smoking is one of the biggest causes of preventable death. Also, all smokers constantly stink of cigarettes (this is something that they'll try to deny though).
Reply 5
Its absolutely horrid.

I don't mind people smoking in their own cars, house etc. Its annoying when you are walking down the street and there are lots of people smoking and you walk into a cloud of their cancer fumes :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
It's disgusting. It's horrible. I don't care what it's doing to your body, you can inhale as much tar and carcinogens as you would like and I wouldn't care. But I hate being exposed to and forced to inhale cigarette smoke in public. It's an extremely uncivilised way to behave. Not only is cigarette smoke extremely foul smelling, but smokers have a nasty habit of chucking their cigarette butts on pavements. I have absolutely no respect at all for anyone who smokes. I don't want to inhale that ****, keep it away from me mother****ers.
(edited 9 years ago)
I hate smoking. It's such a disgusting habit and it doesn't just harm the smoker, it also harms other people around them. It's something I absolutely can't abide when it comes to dating, and I've also lost a family member to a smoking-related illness.
I smoke. I love it. It is sociable and it reduces my stress levels by giving me time to think each day, away from the rest of the world. If people want to smoke then go for it. It is your body and I'm sure you are well aware of the risks.

I would just like to say that I will never smoke around children.
Vile, vile, VILE!!!!!!

Everything about it is truly disgusting particularly the smell (I can't stand near a smoker)
It's beyond disgusting, it really strinks! :yucky:
I used to smoke, then I stopped. It's an illogical thing to do, it carries no benefits. Most people start purely out of ego, and then lack the will-power to stop.
Smoking is filthy
I definitely disagree smokers are 'low social class scum' and I have no idea where anybody would get that idea
Reply 14
I don't smoke, I've tried it in the past and I didn't like it. As long as they don't do it around kids I'm not really bothered if others smoke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't like the look of smoking but I do smoke. Let me explain what I mean by that, I mean I don't like the look of filters on the pavement, I don't like people walking around town smoking a cigarette, even worse when around children.
When I smoke I do it somewhere alone, not on pavements and I usually bin the filters. If I'm in a quiet area and there happens to be a child that I just see I simply put out my cigarette. I can harm myself but It's not fair to harm the other people around me.
So please don't degrade smokers, not all of us are inconsiderate and lowlives.
But I'm quitting so yay. 15days without a cig woo hoo :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just curious of what the general opinion is on smoking. I know some people who avoid it and hate those who do, and I have some who smoke and prefer other people who do, because they feel that if someone smokes it means they're more sociable. I smoke socially :redface:

Do you smoke? Why/Why not? What do you think of those that do?

I really don't care at all if someone smokes as long as it doesn't harm me :smile:
Ugh. My dad's going to kill me. And I'm not ready to die.
Original post by DiddyDec
I smoke. I love it. It is sociable and it reduces my stress levels by giving me time to think each day, away from the rest of the world. If people want to smoke then go for it. It is your body and I'm sure you are well aware of the risks.

I would just like to say that I will never smoke around children.

You say it's sociable, but there are so many comments above you by people who hate smokers and particularly people who smoke around them. You say it's sociable, but the rest of society does not seem to think so!
Drugs are what you make of them.
Nice rush, tastes ****e afterwards. View them negatively, being the most addictive substance available (moreso than heroin et al.).

Quick Reply

Latest