The Student Room Group

Opinions on smoking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My dad and Nana smoking is the reason me and my brother had Asthma. I think if people wish to take part in something that is potentially killing them that's their choice, as long as it affects no one else's health :unimpressed:
Original post by Afghan Warrior
I don't like the look of smoking but I do smoke. Let me explain what I mean by that, I mean I don't like the look of filters on the pavement, I don't like people walking around town smoking a cigarette, even worse when around children.
When I smoke I do it somewhere alone, not on pavements and I usually bin the filters. If I'm in a quiet area and there happens to be a child that I just see I simply put out my cigarette. I can harm myself but It's not fair to harm the other people around me.
So please don't degrade smokers, not all of us are inconsiderate and lowlives.
But I'm quitting so yay. 15days without a cig woo hoo :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are the kind of smoker (or soon to be non-smoker, hopefully!) that I can respect.
I'm kind of sort of dating a smoker at the moment. I REALLY wish he would take up flossing his teeth after smoking. They look pretty bad.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You say it's sociable, but there are so many comments above you by people who hate smokers and particularly people who smoke around them. You say it's sociable, but the rest of society does not seem to think so!

I don't care what the rest of society think about it. It is my choice to smoke and their choice not to smoke. I have met most of my friends through my smoking even though most of them do not smoke. It is also a good way to meet strangers while on a night out.

I don't give a flying **** about what other people think. I am my own man. I'm sure the rest of society don't like the fact that I enjoy hunting. But I still don't care they can all go **** themselves because this is my life not theirs.
Original post by DiddyDec
I don't care what the rest of society think about it. It is my choice to smoke and their choice not to smoke. I have met most of my friends through my smoking even though most of them do not smoke. It is also a good way to meet strangers while on a night out.

I don't give a flying **** about what other people think. I am my own man. I'm sure the rest of society don't like the fact that I enjoy hunting. But I still don't care they can all go **** themselves because this is my life not theirs.

Okay - here's something for you to think about. Are you a smoker despite the wishes of the rest of society? Or are you a smoker because society does not approve of it, and you want to prove that you don't give a flying **** about what other people think, and that you are your own man? If the latter, you should probably think about whether that's a valid reason to do anything in life. For one thing, if society suggests you do one thing, and you do the opposite to prove that you're an independent thinker, then society has still affected your decision, hasn't it? You haven't actually thought independently of what society wants you to do.

I'm sorry if this sounded disapproving. I'm not trying to push you towards any conclusions - these are just things that I think that you, as an independent thinker, should consider.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Okay - here's something for you to think about. Are you a smoker despite the wishes of the rest of society? Or are you a smoker because society does not approve of it, and you want to prove that you don't give a flying **** about what other people think, and that you are your own man? If the latter, you should probably think about whether that's a valid reason to do anything in life. For one thing, if society suggests you do one thing, and you do the opposite to prove that you're an independent thinker, then society has still affected your decision, hasn't it? You haven't actually thought independently of what society wants you to do.

I'm sorry if this sounded disapproving. I'm not trying to push you towards any conclusions - these are just things that I think that you, as an independent thinker, should consider.

I don't smoke to be rebellious. I simply don't care what society thinks of my actions. Is it legal? Yes, and morally it is acceptable. Other than those two points I do not need to go any further. Without smokers HMRC would lose billions of pounds which go on to fund our NHS and our country. It has already been shown that the amount that smokers put in to the economy through tax is far greater than that they take out of it through medical care. Also smoker don't live very far into their pension which means the government wont have to pay for them when they can no longer work.

Smoking is a good thing. Both socially and financially benefiting for the whole country.
I smoke and honestly I want to stop but just struggle so much.
I say smoke if you like but please dont expose me to it. Thank God we now have the ban in public places so that at last i have a better chance of avoiding this filth. I love smokers. If they didnt pay so much tax then maybe id have to pay more?

I know all about smoking. I have three relatives all good smokers and all now dead in the ground with cancer. One hung on for 3 years with cancer. In and out of hospital,housebound with nothing to do but sit in a high backed chair,watch crap tv and look out the window at the sunshine as her life ebbed. She needed to be almost constantly hooked to an O2 bottle because she could no longer take in sufficient oxygen from the air around her due to the damage caused by smoking to her lungs.

She suffered from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disorder..also caused by smoking. During a bad attack of this, your body becomes overloaded with fluids,it leaks into your tissues, your legs swell,get ulcerated and if not dealt with promptly ,your lungs get saturated and you can no longer breath..then you die. They take you into hospital and pump you full of diuretic drugs to provide a temporary fix..

yes,just keep smoking..
Reply 28
I smoked for 4 years and quit this year. I really enjoyed it whilst it lasted and as many of my friends smoke heavily I still find myself around it and that makes me miss it, but I look back and realise how unpleasant it is, the smell is horrible and I constantly found myself spitting when I smoked because of how unpleasant the taste was in my mouth. Granted it helped me deal with stress fantastically well and that is something I am struggling with now, but I'll find a way to cope.

Quick Reply

Latest