The Student Room Group

abs

I have a belly.How do I make it go away?Cant afford gym.Suggest some home exercises.I'm an amateur at working out.Currently I'm doing 50 pushups(sets of 20,15)100 sit ups and 50 squat per day.Basically,I keep going until I wear out.I'v been doing this for a few months now.Result is my arms have gotten bigger,but no change in my tummy.any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Try doing cardio rather than muslce building, jog or swim regularly and it'll go away

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
lose fat
Reply 3
Original post by All-rounder
Try doing cardio rather than muslce building, jog or swim regularly and it'll go away

I cant swim.When's the best time to go jogging and for how long should I jog per day?I'm asian btw.Its hot all the time here.
Reply 4
Original post by tehforum
lose fat

how?I'm so confused about this.<y friends tell me I should gain wait,but to lose my tummy I should be eating less.I weigh 170 pounds.any advice?
Original post by economist2
I cant swim.When's the best time to go jogging and for how long should I jog per day?I'm asian btw.Its hot all the time here.

Then learn to swim, the beauty of jogging is that it can be done any time anywhere, if its always hot then plan a route with your home as the halfway loop point to get a drink every so often. 20-30 minutes every 2 days should do well for a start then progress to daily after a while.

run early on in the morning. Less cars, less people and far more peaceful, not to mention colder.
Original post by tearteto
run early on in the morning. Less cars, less people and far more peaceful, not to mention colder.

Agreed, run in the morning. Fewer cars, fewer people and also you'll be on an empty stomach, so you'll burn fat rather than glucose in your bloodstream.

Also Asian; how is your diet? It's about 80% of losing weight. If you're like me you'll probably eat a lot of high GI carbs (esp. rice) which you'll want to reduce and replace with protein sources (lean meat, fish, egg whites) and veg.
Reply 8
Original post by ttankzhang
Agreed, run in the morning. Fewer cars, fewer people and also you'll be on an empty stomach, so you'll burn fat rather than glucose in your bloodstream.

Also Asian; how is your diet? It's about 80% of losing weight. If you're like me you'll probably eat a lot of high GI carbs (esp. rice) which you'll want to reduce and replace with protein sources (lean meat, fish, egg whites) and veg.

yeah,thats what um doing.Little rice,more protein.Its been like two weeks,since I've started this die.Will give it a month and see what happens.thanks.needed someone to confirm that rice makes you fat theory...
Original post by economist2
yeah,thats what um doing.Little rice,more protein.Its been like two weeks,since I've started this die.Will give it a month and see what happens.thanks.needed someone to confirm that rice makes you fat theory...

nope nope nope

calorie deficit is all you need.

certain foods don't make you gain weight, overeating does.
nope nope nope

True, but keeping control of your insulin levels and taking in more protein compared to carbs helps manage catabolism, otherwise fat will come off but so will muscle mass. In the long-run this will reduce the calorific maintenance requirement and make calorific deficit harder as well as just giving the "skinny-fat" look
(edited 9 years ago)
bout 200 pressups a day
+ much core work.
+ much cardio.
+ fix diet

Shouldn't take too long if you're just unfit and not a whale.
Original post by ChickenMadness
bout 200 pressups a day
+ much core work.
+ much cardio.
+ fix diet

Shouldn't take too long if you're just unfit and not a whale.

u wot m8?
Original post by illusionz
u wot m8?

u wot?
u wot?

m8?
m8?

U avin a larf m8?
U avin a larf m8?

ye bruv.

In all seriously I fail to see the point of 200 pressups a day. Go for a run if you want to lose fat. Lift proper weights if you want to get big.
nope nope nope

It always amazes me how people cannot grasp the very very simple concept of

caloric surplus = gain weight

caloric deficit = lose weight
ye bruv.

In all seriously I fail to see the point of 200 pressups a day. Go for a run if you want to lose fat. Lift proper weights if you want to get big.

He says can't afford to go to a gym. Not many other exercises you can do at home easily.
Original post by TSA
It always amazes me how people cannot grasp the very very simple concept of

caloric surplus = gain weight

caloric deficit = lose weight

There's a difference between losing weight and losing fat

Quick Reply

Latest