The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Bashur
Which ukcat universities do you think will be fine with what I have? I am going to apply Birmingham, Bristol and UCL but I want to apply to one ukcat uni too. Any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Bashur
Hey, I'm back.

So I got 687.5 band 1 on my ukcat. That's alongside 12A*s at gcse and AAAB at AS. Is it wise for me to apply, and if I do will I have a chance?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham May be too risky for you. Maybe Barts? My friend goes there and her ukcat was even lower
Reply 61
Original post by Bashur
What about outside of London?

Keele maybe. I applied to unis that consider ukcat a lot. I can tell you where not to apply: HYMS (or you may give it a try actually), Newcastle, Durham and Aberdeen
Reply 62
Original post by abdelrahman777
I got 6 A*s and 2 As in olevels ... already got an A in biology Alevel and will do chemistry and Arabic a level next year
I got 660 in ukcat which is not that good but I really like notts and the way the course is laid out.

take a look at this http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20140814.pdf

before commenting on the ukcat score .... it was just released today and it seems the ukcat scores were really inflated last year

is it worth applying to nottingham with this ukcat ?

PS I am an international student

I guess it's too risky to apply, especially of you are international for whom they have only few places :frown:

Original post by Amyh9
Hey,
I really love Notts for medicine, do you think it's worth me applying? I got 4a*'s 4a's and 4b's at GCSE AAAC at as (I'm hoping to get the c remarked to a b) and a ukcat adverage of 705.

I think you should give it a go :smile:. I had a similar score to you 707.5, my friend who applied in 2013 got 707 and we both got into Notts
Reply 63
Hi there,

Reapplicant here, but first time applying to Nottingham.

GCSE 9A* 4A's
A levels Achieved AAAab
UKCAT: VR 700 QR 750 AR 760 DA 800 SJT BAND 1) Avg 752

Do you think I should still consider Nottingham it looks brilliant and I love how the course it taught. Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Do they score A* and A the same for GCSEs?
Also does anybody know what they score the personal statement out of? Does it have less weighting than the GCSEs and UKCAT score?
Are they still using the online questionnaire for 2015 entry?
Reply 65
Original post by Ravin429
Hi there,

Reapplicant here, but first time applying to Nottingham.

GCSE 9A* 4A's
A levels Achieved AAAab
UKCAT: VR 700 QR 750 AR 580 DA 570 SJT BAND 1) Avg 652

I know my UKCAT is at the low end, but as they score each section separately including the SJT, then it would only really be my AR or DA letting me down. Do you think I should still consider Nottingham it looks brilliant and I love how the course it taught. Thanks :smile:

Your UKCAT is probably going to let you down I'm afraid. 650 was right about the lowest I saw in last years thread and it's now worth over 70% of the application, so I think it you may be pushed out by applicants with higher scores.

Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Do they score A* and A the same for GCSEs?
Also does anybody know what they score the personal statement out of? Does it have less weighting than the GCSEs and UKCAT score?
Are they still using the online questionnaire for 2015 entry?

Not as far as I'm aware, A* > A > B. Personal statement was given a score using a rather complucated system, it's worth about the same as GCSEs if I remember correctly but the UKCAT is now 71% of the pre-interview score now so they're both minor compared to that. Yep, haven't heard anything to suggest that they've dropped the questionnaire.
Original post by alex193
Not as far as I'm aware, A* > A > B. Personal statement was given a score using a rather complucated system, it's worth about the same as GCSEs if I remember correctly but the UKCAT is now 71% of the pre-interview score now so they're both minor compared to that. Yep, haven't heard anything to suggest that they've dropped the questionnaire.

So would a near perfect GCSE score and a 732.5 UKCAT basically guarantee me an interview? Even with an average personal statement?
Reply 67
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
So would a near perfect GCSE score and a 732.5 UKCAT basically guarantee me an interview? Even with an average personal statement?

I'm not an admissions tutor so no guarantees :tongue: If your UKCAT is in the top 50% of the cohort of applicants you go through to the "person stage" where someone marks your PS and references, which are then added to the GCSE and UKCAT scores to determine who gets invited for an actual interview (top ~30% of applicants). So, you'd need good references and PS too! Your UKCAT score is very strong though and should stand you in good stead :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by alex193
Your UKCAT is probably going to let you down I'm afraid. 650 was right about the lowest I saw in last years thread and it's now worth over 70% of the application, so I think it you may be pushed out by applicants with higher scores.

Even with the general drop in UKCAT scores compared to last year (I got 725, no idea what happened this year..)
Reply 69
Original post by Ravin429
Even with the general drop in UKCAT scores compared to last year (I got 725, no idea what happened this year..)

725 to 650's is still a fairly big shift on that bell curve I'm afraid :frown: Perhaps wait a couple of weeks and see what the general consensus is over on the UKCAT thread and see how it compares to last year?
Original post by Bashur
Which ukcat universities do you think will be fine with what I have? I am going to apply Birmingham, Bristol and UCL but I want to apply to one ukcat uni too. Any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Give Cardiff a shot? They rank GCSEs highly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by Bashur
Hey, I'm back.

So I got 687.5 band 1 on my ukcat. That's alongside 12A*s at gcse and AAAB at AS. Is it wise for me to apply, and if I do will I have a chance?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you considered Sheffield? I think you'd be okay for Nottingham as they take a look at all of your application and your GCSE'S are strong. However be careful with Birmingham as they give preference to people with 4 A grades at AS
Reply 72
Original post by Bashur
So 690 is good for Nottingham, I'm so confused!

Yes! You should deffinitely give it a shot! :smile:
Original post by Bashur
So 690 is good for Nottingham, I'm so confused!

You really need to wait for the 2015 UKCAT statistics to see how you've performed. While yours will be above average it's a tad on the low side so Nottingham would be a risk seeing how much emphasis they put on UKCAT. If you really love Nottingham then apply, but I would recommend choosing two or three 'safer' unis where you are more likely to get an interview.

I hope that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Original post by 2018
Have you considered Sheffield? I think you'd be okay for Nottingham as they take a look at all of your application and your GCSE'S are strong. However be careful with Birmingham as they give preference to people with 4 A grades at AS

71% UKCAT vs 29% PS + GCSE + reference; don't underestimate just how much they emphasise the UKCAT!
Reply 75
Original post by alex193
71% UKCAT vs 29% PS + GCSE + reference; don't underestimate just how much they emphasise the UKCAT!

Wow, it changed since last year :redface:. I'm so happy I managed to apply when t was still "normal"
Hi guys those with more knowledge of Nottingham's selection procedure do you think I should get an offer, if I were to have a good interview.

10A*2As. @GCSE
AAAA @AS level
Ukcat - 735 Band 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by MrStealYourGirl
Hi guys those with more knowledge of Nottingham's selection procedure do you think I should get an offer, if I were to have a good interview.

10A*2As. @GCSE
AAAA @AS level
Ukcat - 735 Band 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are very likely to get invited to the interview, I think you should apply to notts
Reply 78
Original post by Nottie
Wow, it changed since last year :redface:. I'm so happy I managed to apply when t was still "normal"

Last year was 48% IIRC, the year before that they only used the UKCAT to differentiate between borderline candidates! :O Nottingham has been rather at the forefront of examining the effectiveness of aptitude tests in predicting student performance: some of the older cohorts have been followed up during their student careers and beyond, and I presume it;s a good predictor since they're putting so much emphasis on it :P

Original post by MrStealYourGirl

10A*2As. @GCSE
AAAA @AS level
Ukcat - 735 Band 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Solid stats all round, go for it!
What difference does having stations make?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest