The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2015 Entry

Hey everyone! It's this time of year again, so I'll start up the new thread for people applying to Nottingham on the A100 undergraduate medicine course!

A101 GEM is over here :smile:

My name's Alex, I'm a current third year student; Hippokrates and sumsum123 are about to start second year, Nottie is about to start first year and FissionMailed is in the heady heights of fifth year, so we've got quite a team of helpers - feel free to ask away! :smile:

If you're thinking about posting an 'Am I Good Enough with X and Y', please first refer to the tagline for this forum, then look at the many that have already been answered... So long as you meet the academic requirements (see 'About the Application' below) and don't bomb the UKCAT, you've got a chance :smile:

''Discussion of individual medical schools and their courses for applicants and current students. Not for all those 'Am I Good Enough' questions.''

Spoilered because it's a Wall of TextTM :biggrin:

About the course

Spoiler

About the application

Spoiler

About the interview TO BE UPDATED

Spoiler

About uni life

Spoiler

I hope this helps - if you've got any questions, fire away! Hopefully this'll get going and you'll be able to meet your potential future coursemates :wink:

There's some handy FAQ's from the Nottingham website too :smile:

Here's a link to the Nottingham and Nottingham & Nottingham & Medicine connect/stalking pages. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I loved the course at Nottingham! I hope to apply but it's all completely dependent on my UKCAT score!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by sunshinebeem
I loved the course at Nottingham! I hope to apply but it's all completely dependent on my UKCAT score!!

Best thing for UKCAT is just to do the practice questions (the bluey-green 600 UKCAT questions book is good, although I found it way harder than the real thing, was a pleasant surprise!) and try and get a private room in the test centre if you can: I guite lliterally had someone doing their driving theory test next to me who narrated his hazard perception test :/ Anything over 650 should easily see you through with Notts, a couple of current first years I know got scores 620s :smile:
Just sat my ukcat and got 700 average (so 2800 in total) and I have 10 A*s for my gcse's.
I was wondering if I should think of other unis or whether I still have a chance in getting into nottingham? because now ukcat makes up 71% of the academic score.

There have been some changes in the selection process:

"The first stage involves ensuring you have met our minimum academic requirements as outlined in the Qualifications section above. We then score certain areas of your application and the weightings are shown below:

Stage 2:

If you have completed GCSE's and are studying or have completed A-levels then we score the following areas:

Highest 8 GCSE’s including the sciences (the three separate sciences or the science double award), maths and English language, A* and A grades. This score makes up 29% of the total score at this stage.

UKCAT we will give you a score for each of the five sections of the UKCAT test, this includes scores for the four sections in the cognitive component and a score for the SJT component. The total UKCAT score makes up 71% of the total score at this stage.

The above scores are totalled and the 50% with the highest total scores are then considered further:
Stage 3.
We score the personal statement and reference. This score is added to your total score from Stage 2 and applicants with the highest overall scores are invited for interview.
If you have completed and are studying qualifications other than the above, you will be considered with other applicants in the same situation, so the above scoring applies minus the GCSE section. Again applicants with the highest total scores are invited for interview. Applicants who are on a degree course or have completed a first degree are included in this group."

Reply 4
Original post by TheProblematique
Just sat my ukcat and got 700 average (so 2800 in total) and I have 10 A*s for my gcse's.
I was wondering if I should think of other unis or whether I still have a chance in getting into nottingham? because now ukcat makes up 71% of the academic score.

There have been some changes in the selection process:

"The first stage involves ensuring you have met our minimum academic requirements as outlined in the Qualifications section above. We then score certain areas of your application and the weightings are shown below:

Stage 2:

If you have completed GCSE's and are studying or have completed A-levels then we score the following areas:

Highest 8 GCSE’s including the sciences (the three separate sciences or the science double award), maths and English language, A* and A grades. This score makes up 29% of the total score at this stage.

UKCAT we will give you a score for each of the five sections of the UKCAT test, this includes scores for the four sections in the cognitive component and a score for the SJT component. The total UKCAT score makes up 71% of the total score at this stage.

The above scores are totalled and the 50% with the highest total scores are then considered further:
Stage 3.
We score the personal statement and reference. This score is added to your total score from Stage 2 and applicants with the highest overall scores are invited for interview.
If you have completed and are studying qualifications other than the above, you will be considered with other applicants in the same situation, so the above scoring applies minus the GCSE section. Again applicants with the highest total scores are invited for interview. Applicants who are on a degree course or have completed a first degree are included in this group."

GCSE's are fine, UKCAT should be OK, so don't discount Notts entirely if you like it! Where did you get the information from? :smile:
Original post by alex193
GCSE's are fine, UKCAT should be OK, so don't discount Notts entirely if you like it! Where did you get the information from? :smile:

Do you really think the ukcat would be fine? I feel like it's not very good compared to most people's so it would be really risky to apply.
I got the information from the website.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study/medicine/faq/a100faq.aspx#interviews

it's under 'how do you select for interview?'
Reply 7
Original post by TheProblematique
Do you really think the ukcat would be fine? I feel like it's not very good compared to most people's so it would be really risky to apply.
I got the information from the website.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study/medicine/faq/a100faq.aspx#interviews

it's under 'how do you select for interview?'

Last year, the lowest I know of was 650ish, so it can be done - although with them placing even more emphasis on UKCAT (eek!) I can't see than happening except in exceptional circumstances. 700 is still 100 points above the weighted average, so it's by no means implausible. I always recommend than for your 4+1 choices, go for 1 aspirational uni, 2 realistic ones and 1 insurance, plus biomedical or genetics or something for the 5th. Nearly everyone I know across all unis is happy where they are even if it wasn't their first choice, but with medicine make sure you apply to the right course style: getting a place at a PBL uni would be a pain if you hated PBL and vice versa.

Thanks for the link, I'll update the monster post once I've read it all! Seems you might be getting the multi-mini interviews as well. I honestly can't understand why they're putting so much emphasis on UKCAT, 50% last year was pretty heavy but 70% is just ridiculous!
I know I'm definitely risking it here but I got 2700 today :frown: and VR:580 QR:680 AR:780 DA:660
I have 7A*s and 4As

I really liked it but I don't know if I have any chance at all :/ realistically I know it's high risk, but can anyone recommend any other Unis I should look at? Except cardiff and Bristol, I know those don't look too much at UKCAT. Advice for notts?
the changes to the selection process made it impossible to get in ... a 700 in ukcat wont get you in then?
Reply 10
Original post by PropaneHorcrux
I know I'm definitely risking it here but I got 2700 today :frown: and VR:580 QR:680 AR:780 DA:660
I have 7A*s and 4As

I really liked it but I don't know if I have any chance at all :/ realistically I know it's high risk, but can anyone recommend any other Unis I should look at? Except cardiff and Bristol, I know those don't look too much at UKCAT. Advice for notts?

You should look at St Georges in London, you meet their requirements for a GUARANTEED interview.
Reply 11
So guys I would like your honest opinion as this could be a make or break decision for me so any comments are fine.

GCSE's 4A*s, 5A's 1B, 1C, 1 Distinction in ICT

As levels: BBBB (2 were really close i mean 1 ums away from A's so im gonna remark/resit 2 modules at least) Oh and i got an A in As philosophy 2 years early And have done a few random Btecs here and there (level 2s only)

A levels: Well...i need AAA right? Lets just hope my tutors predict it too!

UKCAT: 640 Avg, 2560 Total, SJT Band 1

Do you think i stand a chance of getting through the initial process/to the interview? (i have plenty of back up plans for uni so...yh)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
I have 9A*s GCSE, 4As and 3A* prediction
UKCAT 690 SJT band 1
enough to apply?
idk how ukcat will be affected last year considering how high it was last year, this year is supposed to be harder
Reply 13
Original post by Amowgli
So guys I would like your honest opinion as this could be a make or break decision for me so any comments are fine.

GCSE's 4A*s, 5A's 1B, 1C, 1 Distinction in ICT

As levels: BBBB (2 were really close i mean 1 ums away from A's so im gonna remark/resit 2 modules at least) Oh and i got an A in As philosophy 2 years early And have done a few random Btecs here and there (level 2s only)

A levels: Well...i need AAA right? Lets just hope my tutors predict it too!

UKCAT: 640 Avg, 2560 Total, SJT Band 1

Do you think i stand a chance of getting through the initial process/to the interview? (i have plenty of back up plans for uni so...yh)

UKCAT is a bit low I'm afraid :frown: Last year when the UKCAT was only 50% the lowest I saw getting interviews was 650-ish. Not that the UKCAT is such a major player, I think we'll be getitng lots of high performers applying, so that's likely to rise too. The top 8 GCSE's are looked at, so you lose out with the 4 A's too. All in all I think it would realistically be a wasted application, especially if you've got others you'd be happy to apply too!

Original post by hpcp
I have 9A*s GCSE, 4As and 3A* prediction
UKCAT 690 SJT band 1
enough to apply?
idk how ukcat will be affected last year considering how high it was last year, this year is supposed to be harder

GCSE's and A-level predictions are spot on right where they need to be. UKCAT is a bit lower than ideal, but still worth a shot if you really like Notts! What's your motivation for applying?
Reply 14
Original post by alex193
UKCAT is a bit low I'm afraid :frown: Last year when the UKCAT was only 50% the lowest I saw getting interviews was 650-ish. Not that the UKCAT is such a major player, I think we'll be getitng lots of high performers applying, so that's likely to rise too. The top 8 GCSE's are looked at, so you lose out with the 4 A's too. All in all I think it would realistically be a wasted application, especially if you've got others you'd be happy to apply too!

Thanks for your help, looks like computer science it is then!
Reply 15
Original post by Amowgli
Thanks for your help, looks like computer science it is then!

There's 30+ other medical schools though? Quite a switch to compsci! How sure are you about what you want to study if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 16
GCSE's and A-level predictions are spot on right where they need to be. UKCAT is a bit lower than ideal, but still worth a shot if you really like Notts! What's your motivation for applying?

I like the uni, but not sure how much more I like it compared to others. I think as long as I get an offer from any medical school I will be happy. Regarding the learning style, I'm am quite independent when learning so I wouldn't really mind if its PBL or lecture based.
I want to apply to unis when I know I should get an interview ideally, as medicine is basically the only course I want to do and I just want to stand the best chance of getting an offer.
What do you think about where I should apply?
Reply 17
Original post by alex193
There's 30+ other medical schools though? Quite a switch to compsci! How sure are you about what you want to study if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah, i have been calling up about 10+ med schools that are realistic but most of them don't allow as module resits/or i fall into the bottom quartiles in their pool of applicants.

Before medicine i had my mind on Compsci for quite a while and have relevant a levels/work exp/extra qualifications and familiarity with the degree courses on offer. It is a weird back up plan i know because most people go to allied sciences but for med it was kindof all or nothing, also compsci is a Bsc so graduate entry is always an option in that regard.
Reply 18
Original post by hpcp

I like the uni, but not sure how much more I like it compared to others. I think as long as I get an offer from any medical school I will be happy. Regarding the learning style, I'm am quite independent when learning so I wouldn't really mind if its PBL or lecture based.
I want to apply to unis when I know I should get an interview ideally, as medicine is basically the only course I want to do and I just want to stand the best chance of getting an offer.
What do you think about where I should apply?

Right, I want you to make a list of what you DO definitely want from your uni (be that campus vs city, dissection vs no dissection, PBL vs lecture, intercalation vs straight through) and things you DON'T want. The style of teaching makes a huge difference and if you're happiest working independently then a close small groups of PBL might be a bit limiting? Once you've got that sorted, go through the prospectuses and make a shortlist :smile:

Original post by Amowgli
Yeah, i have been calling up about 10+ med schools that are realistic but most of them don't allow as module resits/or i fall into the bottom quartiles in their pool of applicants.

Before medicine i had my mind on Compsci for quite a while and have relevant a levels/work exp/extra qualifications and familiarity with the degree courses on offer. It is a weird back up plan i know because most people go to allied sciences but for med it was kindof all or nothing, also compsci is a Bsc so graduate entry is always an option in that regard.

Right, same for you as I said above but with the added limiter of allowing resits. You're right about it being all or nothing - you can't tailor a PS to medicine and compsci so it would indeed have to be either or. What draws you to each? Why the sudden switch to medicine? Have you got much medical work experience and do you know what you're getting yourself into? :tongue: Sorry for all the questions but these are all things you do have to think long and hard about before launching into a course haha :tongue: With GEM, bear in mind that many unis are cutting graduate places, and it was supremely competitive to begin with, so do be cautious about commiting to that route too early.
Reply 19

Right, same for you as I said above but with the added limiter of allowing resits. You're right about it being all or nothing - you can't tailor a PS to medicine and compsci so it would indeed have to be either or. What draws you to each? Why the sudden switch to medicine? Have you got much medical work experience and do you know what you're getting yourself into? :tongue: Sorry for all the questions but these are all things you do have to think long and hard about before launching into a course haha :tongue: With GEM, bear in mind that many unis are cutting graduate places, and it was supremely competitive to begin with, so do be cautious about commiting to that route too early.

It isn't a sudden switch i have work exp for both here is a quick summary. Actually a few years ago i was comvinceed away from Compsci to medicine, but looking at my results and the competition i have been deterred.

Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award

BBC Broadcast and Journalism Course Produced a piece of radio journalism in a team, Interviewed the public and managers of local enterprises, edited and recorded the final product.

Games Design and Development Course One week course at the NTI Birmingham to give insight into the Games Industry. Teamwork involved in creating and designing a game level. Shadowed professional app makers. Produced a presentation to professional standards and pitched the final result to a peer group.

Guitar - Grade 4

Editing and Production Software - Fluent in Adobe CS6 master suite, Dreamweaver, After effects, Adobe audition and Sibeilius 7.1.3.

BTEC - Level 2 in Computer Engineering (2009).

Employment and Work Experience

Marston Green Library Volunteer work included: Managing book shelves, processing books for display, transfers to other libraries and customer service.
(6 months).
Tennis Summer Camp Assistant coaching of children aged 7-11 for 4 weeks every summer holiday for 3 consecutive years (unpaid).

John Radcliffe Hospital Neuroscience Department - Shadowing numerous medical professionals (17th-21st February 2014).

Bridge House Care Home in Abingdon - Providing entertainment and activities for the elderly (started Jan 2014 and ongoing).

League of Friends Cafe - Serving customers, preparing food and cleaning dishes for Patients of the NHS trust. (3 Months this summer, and continuing next summer)

I am arranging work exp with a mcaffee office too!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest