The Student Room Group

Equine Work Experience.

This is my first post on TSR - woo! I'll be applying to the UK vet schools in October, and I have a question about work experience to do with horses. I have quite a few weeks of work experience with with a woman who lived nearby and owned 4 horses and a few ponies. I was wondering whether or not this actually counts as it was literally paddocks behind her house with horses and ponies in; nothing fancy at all. So basically, does equine work experience have to be on a large yard/riding centre etc. for it to 'count' ?
Thanks guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WannaBeVet2015
This is my first post on TSR - woo! I'll be applying to the UK vet schools in October, and I have a question about work experience to do with horses. I have quite a few weeks of work experience with with a woman who lived nearby and owned 4 horses and a few ponies. I was wondering whether or not this actually counts as it was literally paddocks behind her house with horses and ponies in; nothing fancy at all. So basically, does equine work experience have to be on a large yard/riding centre etc. for it to 'count' ?
Thanks guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How were you involved with the care of the horses?

I suspect unis may prefer you to work on a riding yard/livery as you would be more hands on. When I went to a riding school I learned how to tack up, how to lunge a horse, basics of riding, different diets that they were on, etc. BUT I'm not entirely sure so I would email the unis to ask them if this is acceptable.
I was basically taught everything about the care of horses - diets, spotting problems etc. and like you say tacking up and so on. This was handy when I worked at a yard with about 50 horses on for a week so I do have 'proper' equine experience but I was wondering whether this would count also - thanks for the reply, I'll email the unis ASAP

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was basically taught everything about the care of horses - diets, spotting problems etc. and like you say tacking up and so on. This was handy when I worked at a yard with about 50 horses on for a week so I do have 'proper' equine experience but I was wondering whether this would count also - thanks for the reply, I'll email the unis ASAP

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would count it.
Reply 5
I agree, I would count it. 4 horses and a few ponies sounds like it could count as a small yard, and it sounds like you were involved in their husbandry, similarly to a larger place.
Thanks very much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi again guys - this isn't horsey but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm booked in to work in a cattery for the rest of this week but the cattery is a part of a veterinary practice (it's a little outbuilding with 12 kennels in). I do 2 hours in the cattery in the morning and then go into the practice and do vet work, then I go back to the cattery for half an hour at midday then again at 3:00. I clean the pens out, feed the cats, give meds if needed and just basically interact with the cats. If I did this for the rest of the week would it count as a week in a cattery? - I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm really paranoid about getting enough work experience! Thanks guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi again guys - this isn't horsey but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm booked in to work in a cattery for the rest of this week but the cattery is a part of a veterinary practice (it's a little outbuilding with 12 kennels in). I do 2 hours in the cattery in the morning and then go into the practice and do vet work, then I go back to the cattery for half an hour at midday then again at 3:00. I clean the pens out, feed the cats, give meds if needed and just basically interact with the cats. If I did this for the rest of the week would it count as a week in a cattery? - I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm really paranoid about getting enough work experience! Thanks guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If half a day is 4hrs then I would say that this would count as half a week cattery, half a week vets since you roughly spending half your time at the cattery and half your time at the vets :smile:
Do the universities count it in hours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Mine was a mixture. They wanted you to work the 'regular working hours', but to some degree counted it in hours. What do the general cattery/kennel staff work, in terms of hours? Do they split their shifts with the vets as well?
Well basically, I come in at 9:00, do the cattery with one nurse then we both go into the practice and do vet stuff (consultations, ops etc.) then I go and check the cattery 2 more times throughout the day and finish at 6:00

Posted from TSR Mobile
The entire staff finish at 6:00 also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do the universities count it in hours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Liverpool defines half a day as 4hrs I believe for their questionnaire, for simplicities sake I'd split your as 50:50 but obviously if you felt you spent more time doing cattery vs vets or vice versa then adjust this as necessary.
Okay thanks guys - so just as another question (sorry about all the questions) I've done work on a farm for 2 weeks 5am - 5pm. So the total hours I've done there is 120 hours. So if 1 week is 49 hours, have I done 3 weeks on the farm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
40 hours sorry, not 49.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thanks guys - so just as another question (sorry about all the questions) I've done work on a farm for 2 weeks 5am - 5pm. So the total hours I've done there is 120 hours. So if 1 week is 49 hours, have I done 3 weeks on the farm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's 2 weeks still - a day is generally defined as whatever the working day of the staff is.
Right okay, thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi AGAIN - I know I've asked loads of questions but the 15th of October is looming and I need answers!! Is working in a large animal vets a must when applying to veterinary school? The vets that I go to a lot is a mixed practice but I've only ever seen 3 ponies in the time I've been there, and that was only for vaccinations; the rest has been companion animals along with the odd baby bird from someone's garden. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending