The Student Room Group

St. George's UoL GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Hello everyone,

I might be slightly early, but thought it would be a good idea to set-up a thread for all applicants looking to apply to the St. George's University of London GEM programme this October!

Over the next few months, I am sure the discussion will be largely just everyone introducing themselves. So, I think I will start off!:

I am a pre-registration pharmacist :smile: I am quite fortunate in that I have already sat my GAMSAT, however that just means I have more time to worry about interviews! So, I will soon be getting loads of strange looks when practicing in front of my mirror with a hairbrush...

I will be looking to keep this post updated with any recent news and updates that arise over the course of the admissions process. I will try very hard to keep this up-to-date myself, but may need prompting by anyone who spots anything looking a bit outdated!

Also, if you're thinking this looks strangely similar to another thread you've seen... you would be right! Please visit my other threads if you are looking to meet other TSR members applying for the following medical schools:

Nottingham GEM (A101) Applicants 2015: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2730753
Swansea GEM (A101) Applicants 2015: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2734794

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - Admissions News and Updates - -

Last updated: 17th November 2014
Latest news: "GAMSAT results due out over next few days. Good luck everyone!"

UCAS Applications: Closed
Interview Dates: To be confirmed.
Interview Outcomes Released: To be confirmed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - Frequently Asked Questions - -

Q: When will my GAMSAT results be released?
A: Over the past few years, results have been released exactly 2 months and one day after the exam was sat at approximately 5.30-6am via an email to the email address that the applicant registered with ACER (so there is no need to keep checking the ACER website - which appears to offer limited updates on this anyway). If this is the case again this year, we would expect the results to be released on the morning of Tuesday 18th September. However, this is not guaranteed and the date may fluctuate.

Q: How will I receive my results and what are the next steps?
A: Within the email (see above), you will be prompted to log into the ACER website to obtain your results. Once logged in, you will be able to view your overall score for each section and a table to allow you to calculate your percentile. The university will then inform you if you have successfully met their cut-off score that year and offer you an interview. This may take up to a few weeks depending on the university.

Past cut-off scores are normally readily obtained through their website (although small changes may occur each year depending on the cohort). This will frequently involve a cut-off for each individual section (which is not cohort dependent) and then an overall score cut-off which is cohort dependent. This means that all applicants who meet the application requirements alongside the individual GAMSAT cut-offs are then ranked based off their overall scores and the university will select the top ranking candidates for interview. This may be, for instance, the top 300 if there are only 300 interview places available. Please note that individual universities may also limit the number of places for graduates and hence this figure may also be subject to additional quotas.

St. George's cut-offs for 2013 (may not be equivalent for 2014; see above):

Individual sections: At least 50 in each section.
Overall: 60

St. George's cut-offs for 2014:

Individual sections: At least 55 in section II, 55 in either I or III, and then 50 in the remaining section.
Overall: No data available.

Please note: This information has been collated from individuals and has not been confirmed by the institution. Although we can peer review additions to some extent, please do not use this information to make decisions on your UCAS application as it may be inaccurate.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Will be applying this year after a surprisingly okay result in the Irish GAMSAT earlier this year. Should hopefully make the cut-offs for interview, just.

Just trying to get some recent work exp at the moment.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Will hopefully be applying provided the open day today doesn't put me off massively.
Anyone any questions they want me to ask/make me look clever? :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by Zorg
Will hopefully be applying provided the open day today doesn't put me off massively.
Anyone any questions they want me to ask/make me look clever? :wink:

Ask about the number of places they think they'll have for next year and current status of the GAMSAT requirements, since they're liable for change at a moment's notice.

Maybe admissions info from this year? How many applied, how many were accepted, etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Tabris
Ask about the number of places they think they'll have for next year and current status of the GAMSAT requirements, since they're liable for change at a moment's notice.

Maybe admissions info from this year? How many applied, how many were accepted, etc.

I went to the Open Day at the start of last month and the usual GAMSAT questions were asked. The GAMSAT overall score cut-off last year was 60. I would be very surprised if this rose above 60 and I saw many applicants with a score of 60 last year receiving offers so that tells you it has little or no bearing after the shortlisting stage. All they will tell you though (and all they did tell us at my Open Day) is that they cannot give an exact figure as it depends on the cohort of applications that year (i.e. top 300 applicants might be higher scoring this year and hence the cut-off could be higher). They will not know until the 15th October unfortunately... and you will not know either!

The difficulty, cost and uncertainty around GAMSAT makes it a real gamble for medical students...
Reply 5
Original post by Tabris

Yeah I remember we'd talked about this before. Definitely asking this, perhaps more from what they have seen this cycle as I invite they'll be reluctant to make any predictions going forward, if only to cover themselves.

Original post by MiloMilo
I went to the Open Day at the start of last month and the usual GAMSAT questions were asked. The GAMSAT overall score cut-off last year was 60. I would be very surprised if this rose above 60 and I saw many applicants with a score of 60 last year receiving offers so that tells you it has little or no bearing after the shortlisting stage. All they will tell you though (and all they did tell us at my Open Day) is that they cannot give an exact figure as it depends on the cohort of applications that year (i.e. top 300 applicants might be higher scoring this year and hence the cut-off could be higher). They will not know until the 15th October unfortunately... and you will not know either!

The difficulty, cost and uncertainty around GAMSAT makes it a real gamble for medical students...

Have they released any info re. 2014 entry GAMSAT cutoffs or wad thus info from the open day?
Reply 6
Original post by Zorg
Yeah I remember we'd talked about this before. Definitely asking this, perhaps more from what they have seen this cycle as I invite they'll be reluctant to make any predictions going forward, if only to cover themselves.

Have they released any info re. 2014 entry GAMSAT cutoffs or wad thus info from the open day?

They have published them on their Entry Requirements page. It is in the second paragraph below the GAMSAT Requirements table/box.
Reply 7
Original post by Zorg

Agreed, I can't imagine them giving out a definite answer regarding future section minimum scores and being coy about it as well, but it'd be nice to know where they currently stand and if the online prospectus is up to date RE: 55 minimum in each section as opposed to 50, even if it is liable for change at a moment's notice.

Knowing how many people have had offers/places this year would be interesting at the very least, since there seems to have been a lot of confusion on forums regarding how many places were actually cut/available this year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
They have published them on their Entry Requirements page. It is in the second paragraph below the GAMSAT Requirements table/box.

Ta, must have missed that as I haven't been checking it as religiously as before.

Original post by Tabris
Agreed, I can't imagine them giving out a definite answer regarding future section minimum scores and being coy about it as well, but it'd be nice to know where they currently stand and if the online prospectus is up to date RE: 55 minimum in each section as opposed to 50, even if it is liable for change at a moment's notice.

Knowing how many people have had offers/places this year would be interesting at the very least, since there seems to have been a lot of confusion on forums regarding how many places were actually cut/available this year.

Sorry I've only just seen this. I think the online prospectus is up to date and they did mention the increased GAMSAT score. They also said they interviewed fewer people due to the reduced places, IIRC the figure was in the 400-600 range for interview.
I was talking to an admissions officer and she seemed reluctant to comment on the changes to the course with respect to the shape of training review and HEE proposals going forward. However she did highlight that there have been a large number of cuts in recent years and given the demand for doctors that she thought it unlikely there would be further cuts. I didn't pursue the discussion further as she seemed uncomfortable answering questions for the course and it's fate.
Although there may be some merit to her thought process, the HEE proposals look to increase levels of international students on medical courses in the future. Therefore supplementing levels of trained medics and maintaining the required levels of doctors. In my opinion this is mainly due to the constraints on available funding. If this was implemented alongside current GEM courses I would imagine the foundation place to applicant number issue to be exacerbated.

This ignores the fact that if registration were to be moved to graduation, that 4 year courses would not be compliant with the EU guidelines. As the courses can be altered e.g. Imperial's GEM becoming a 5 year course.

Therefore I believe the real question is to what extent can we fund the training of our own UK doctors and to what extent are the governing bodies willing to reduce UK places to enable increased international students to enter.

Sorry, thread has been successfully derailed :colondollar:

Back to SGUL and impressions from the open day.

Spoiler

Sorry for the epic long post, thought this as good a place as any to scribble my notes :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Zorg

Sorry for the epic long post, thought this as good a place as any to scribble my notes :wink:

Would rep you again, but already repped you recently. The stuff about the increased GAMSAT minimums still being the tune they're ringing is somewhat re-assuring (for now).

RE: Tooting. I've heard, from locals living around Brixton/Clapham, that the Tooting is one of the current up-and-coming areas in SW London, following Brixton's and Balham's foootsteps. I'm surprised at how cheap the private accommodation is.

Just had to Google their gym, looks pretty shoddy. It's not really a big deal, but having previously gone to Newcastle where sports were a big thing, I am curious as to how sports are treated there. Did you see/hear about any of their other extracurricular facilities?

Teaching facilities seem on-point from what you've said, which is obviously good to hear.
Reply 10
Original post by Zorg
Ta, must have missed that as I haven't been checking it as religiously as before.

Sorry I've only just seen this. I think the online prospectus is up to date and they did mention the increased GAMSAT score. They also said they interviewed fewer people due to the reduced places, IIRC the figure was in the 400-600 range for interview.
I was talking to an admissions officer and she seemed reluctant to comment on the changes to the course with respect to the shape of training review and HEE proposals going forward. However she did highlight that there have been a large number of cuts in recent years and given the demand for doctors that she thought it unlikely there would be further cuts. I didn't pursue the discussion further as she seemed uncomfortable answering questions for the course and it's fate.
Although there may be some merit to her thought process, the HEE proposals look to increase levels of international students on medical courses in the future. Therefore supplementing levels of trained medics and maintaining the required levels of doctors. In my opinion this is mainly due to the constraints on available funding. If this was implemented alongside current GEM courses I would imagine the foundation place to applicant number issue to be exacerbated.

This ignores the fact that if registration were to be moved to graduation, that 4 year courses would not be compliant with the EU guidelines. As the courses can be altered e.g. Imperial's GEM becoming a 5 year course.

Therefore I believe the real question is to what extent can we fund the training of our own UK doctors and to what extent are the governing bodies willing to reduce UK places to enable increased international students to enter.

Sorry, thread has been successfully derailed :colondollar:

Back to SGUL and impressions from the open day.

Spoiler

Argh essay posts...!! I suppose we can let you off! :tongue:

I think (I think..!) they mentioned they only had 60 places this year on my open day... which just goes to show that competition is higher than ever now. Bear in mind that their website says that essentially the top 300 are interviewed, and they will make around 80-90 offers for those 60 places, you are looking at a just under 1:4 offer to interview ratio. Gulp!

Area wise, I can give you a slight insight. My sister lives nearby in Colliers Wood (10 minute walk from the hospital) and she used to live in Wimbledon. Wimbledon is the jewel of the area and is about 15 minutes away. You have Wimbledon itself which has nearby Wimbledon Common (the park close-by) and a number of shops, but also you have Wimbledon Village which has a lovely selection of restaurants and a few bars. Wimbledon is as close to as good as it gets in London.

The immediate area is less attractive. You look at Tooting and you see the run-down streets and shops. Piece that together with the idea of London having those regions where dodgy, street-gang films are shot... and you would be forgiven for thinking you are at risk of not surviving your four years there! However, that is not the case. You will find that poking through in the corners of the high street are a number of new bars and restaurants. For instance, The Castle has just opened up about 5 minutes down the high street from the hospital and have one of the best outside bar areas I have seen in London. There are also local coffee shops like Costa etc to meet up nearby.

So... a 10 min bus to Wimbledon in the evening and you have some of the best places to eat in London, but if you are lazy (or, more likely, exhausted!) you can hang around in the newer bars which are popping up in Tooting. At the weekend, it is a 25 min tube into central London... you'll run out of time to do everything, trust me! (Do not forget you need to get down to Putney to support Fulham on Saturday too!)

If anyone is put off by the £150 a week for accommodation... that's pretty good (even for zone 3). As I am sure you'll know as a graduate, £150 a week does not get you too far at a number of universities up and down the country these days! Let alone London...
Reply 11

If anyone is put off by the £150 a week for accommodation... that's pretty good (even for zone 3). As I am sure you'll know as a graduate, £150 a week does not get you too far at a number of universities up and down the country these days! Let alone London...

I disagree with this last part. £150pw isn't too bad per London standards. Even more so when you consider it includes your bills.
It isn't cheap but equally you get a pretty decent room from what I'm told.
£150 would get you three weeks rent in some cities. I was actually speaking to a colleague who said she'd bought a 2 bed house for £90,000 in Plymouth. Another friend who was studying in London with me last year was paying more, only just, for her room in halls than her 2 up 2 down house in Bolton. Even I was paying less than £90pw in Bristol for a nice sized double room.

The point I'm trying to make is that though by London standards £150 isn't a great deal, going outside London even in the South prices are significantly less. Particularly when you consider that extra £50pw is your weekly food shop and a couple of drinks at the weekend.
Reply 12
Original post by Zorg
I disagree with this last part. £150pw isn't too bad per London standards. Even more so when you consider it includes your bills.
It isn't cheap but equally you get a pretty decent room from what I'm told.
£150 would get you three weeks rent in some cities. I was actually speaking to a colleague who said she'd bought a 2 bed house for £90,000 in Plymouth. Another friend who was studying in London with me last year was paying more, only just, for her room in halls than her 2 up 2 down house in Bolton. Even I was paying less than £90pw in Bristol for a nice sized double room.

The point I'm trying to make is that though by London standards £150 isn't a great deal, going outside London even in the South prices are significantly less. Particularly when you consider that extra £50pw is your weekly food shop and a couple of drinks at the weekend.

I meant designated university accommodation. Durham, Kent and Oxford can all rise to £130 or more. Obviously you can pay significantly less (~£85-90 p/w in my experience) living outside of university halls and/or going to a less affluent area for your studies.

But we both agree that £150 p/w is decent for accommodation in London - that's the main thing!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Morning,

I'm applying for SGUL this year too! I grew up nearby so I know the area pretty well so might be able to help answer any questions from that side. Don't suppose they said when they would set their GAMSAT minimum cut offs for? Are they interviewing the same proportion of candidates (so that they keep the interview:tongue:lace ratio) or interviewing the same number of people as before (so you have lower odds of getting a place when you hit the interview stage)? Or are they trying to have more of a balance?
Reply 14
Original post by M150
Morning,

I'm applying for SGUL this year too! I grew up nearby so I know the area pretty well so might be able to help answer any questions from that side. Don't suppose they said when they would set their GAMSAT minimum cut offs for? Are they interviewing the same proportion of candidates (so that they keep the interview:tongue:lace ratio) or interviewing the same number of people as before (so you have lower odds of getting a place when you hit the interview stage)? Or are they trying to have more of a balance?

Their online prospectus (here) currently states 55 minimum in each section, like with 2013 entry. This is liable to change without notice though.

Saw these posted on NMM a few weeks back.

From some vague conversations regarding the cuts, the current thinking in the university is that they'll still interview the same number of candidates, so the GAMSAT cutoffs won't change much. It does mean that the success ratio at interview will drop though (it used to be nearly 1:3, but it'll be more like 1:5).

The minimum score per section has changed several times over the last three years, including changing last year after the prospectuses had been printed. The only way to find out what they currently are is to call admissions - but really, it's best to wait until a bit closer to applications.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
I am not liking the prospect of 1:5 interview ratios...! Although I think it'll be closer to just below 1:4. Still, I wish they could set a higher GAMSAT cut-off and interview a relatively smaller proportion of candidates... that is what it is there for, after all!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
I am not liking the prospect of 1:5 interview ratios...! Although I think it'll be closer to just below 1:4. Still, I wish they could set a higher GAMSAT cut-off and interview a relatively smaller proportion of candidates... that is what it is there for, after all!

It entirely depends on the numbers they intend to have start the course in 2015, seeing as it still seems to be up in the air at the moment. Still, 1:5 aren't horrendous odds. It's when it gets to like 1:8 or more that things get tight.
Reply 17
Original post by Tabris
Their online prospectus (here) currently states 55 minimum in each section, like with 2013 entry. This is liable to change without notice though.

Saw these posted on NMM a few weeks back.

Ooh, well that's new. I checked a couple of weeks ago and it was the same as last year. I suspect if they've changed it then it's likely to stick.
Reply 18
Original post by M150
Ooh, well that's new. I checked a couple of weeks ago and it was the same as last year. I suspect if they've changed it then it's likely to stick.

It's more to do with http://www.sgul.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/mbbs4/entry-requirements not being updated, yet. I don't think they've updated it since last November. I saw that the 2015 prospectus was put up about 6 weeks ago. However, when they do finally update the MBBS4 page, I would take that cut-off as superseding the prospectus.

I was in two minds about taking the GAMSAT again, personally, as I got 61, so it's potentially on the borderline depending on the criteria they use.
Reply 19
Original post by Tabris
It's more to do with http://www.sgul.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/mbbs4/entry-requirements not being updated, yet. I don't think they've updated it since last November. I saw that the 2015 prospectus was put up about 6 weeks ago. However, when they do finally update the MBBS4 page, I would take that cut-off as superseding the prospectus.

I was in two minds about taking the GAMSAT again, personally, as I got 61, so it's potentially on the borderline depending on the criteria they use.

Ah, yes that's what I read before. Hmm, that's annoying - I'm still keeping an eye out for Warwick's entry requirements this year - bloody frustrating that they still haven't finalised their entry requirements yet.

Did you get a 61 both ways with the GAMSAT? Pretty sure George's use both ways to rank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending