The Student Room Group

Swansea GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I am 3rd year biomed predicted a 1st (or high 2:1). I got 2610 (652.5) in my ukcat - I am aware that this is not the best but UKCAT. I have decent work experience and extra-curricular stuff.

I really need some help as the deadline is quickly approaching. I need some help with choosing my fourth university. My choices:

1 - St Georges GEP
2 - Swansea GEP
3 - Keele 5 year (this because I know they're not too harsh with UKCAT
4 - I don't know (Sheffield, Leicester, Manchester???)

I don't know what my fourth option should be. I probably need it to be a university that's not too strict with UKCAT, but still uses it. I know I make the minimum requirement for Sheffield but I also know that it is very competitive. I'm not 100% sure about other unis. I know ukcat overall is lower this year, but does anyone have any suggestions about a fourth university I should apply to?

Somebody please help me out.

Thanking you guys in advance,

document35
Does anyone know if you have to put university module marks on Ucas? And if so how do you do it?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
has anyone got their acknowledgement letter from swansea yet?
Original post by francois
has anyone got their acknowledgement letter from swansea yet?

Nope, it's the only one I haven't got!
Original post by KirstieW
Nope, it's the only one I haven't got!

you sent yours on the 15th too?
you sent yours on the 15th too?

I sent mine a little while ago, maybe about 2 weeks ago.

Edit: sent it on the 26th Sept.
(edited 9 years ago)
hmmm how odd?
hmmm how odd?

Hopefully will arrive soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
do Swansea read PS?
before inviting for interview?
Reply 49
Original post by Ama2007
do Swansea read PS?
before inviting for interview?

When I went to the open day the guy said you only need to reach the GAMSAT cut off to get an interview. His exact words were, "You could literally write on your PS that your dad is a fish and as long as you reach the GAMSAT cut off you will get an interview". :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Men
When I went to the open day the guy said you only need to reach the GAMSAT cut off to get an interview. His exact words were, "You could literally write on your PS that your dad is a fish and as long as you reach the GAMSAT cut off you will get an interview". :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome :frown: because I have a rubbish GAMSAT.

I thought they read PS

:s-smilie:
Reply 51
Original post by Ama2007
Awesome :frown: because I have a rubbish GAMSAT.

I thought they read PS

:s-smilie:

I have an inkling ps/reference/work experience plays a bigger role than they let on. Quite a few people were invited to interview that were below the cutoff.
Original post by Zorg
I have an inkling ps/reference/work experience plays a bigger role than they let on. Quite a few people were invited to interview that were below the cutoff.

tbh when i applied i didnt put much hope on this one, i just had to choose any uni even if its a slim chance.

GAMSAT is not that hard. but I only decided to do it last minute with less than 4 weeks revision and got an okish score if i had studied longer i would defo get higher mark, But oh well, only time will tell!

its weird because i got an email from them asking me what i did between 2 different dates because i hadnt mentioned it on my PS (due to lack of space) and i was like wow they must have read my PS that quickly? or am just over interpreting.

This year i have applied to the most expensive places lol (despite being skint) and not eligible for any funding, because i just want to get into medicine regardless of the price am willing to pay whatever it takes.

People keep telling me i could be earning 45K by now instead of applying to medicine, especially after last year got offered a pretty good pay at military hospital pharmacist. But turned it down because medicine is what i want.

oops just realised this turned into an essay hahahhah

sorryyy
Original post by Ama2007
btw I just checked lol I have 55 in GAMSAT, does this make any difference?:confused::eek::colone:

Got
section 1 : 52
section 2: 66
section3 : 52

This could actually be one of my only chances of getting in ....so basically i am very desperate .....

Hey there, I know you wrote this a while ago but I was perusing the threads for GEM and came across this post.

If you didn't already know, I thought it might give you some relief that certain universities score GAMSAT differently. I think Nottingham and SGUL allow you to weight all 3 sections equally if it yields a higher score. Therefore you might have a score of 57 if you have applied to them.

Just some peace of mind if you did apply to those universities. (Although, come to think of it, not so much peace of mind if you didn't! I apologise if this is the case.)
Reply 54
Postcard arrived, in duplicate. Postmarked 29.10.14

Says pretty much the same thing as the email did. Hasn't stopped me from sticking it to wall though; motivation!!

Edit: Also, before anyone gets jumped up about the scholarships, it doesn't apply to us. Graduate entry medicine is explicitly excluded in the terms and conditions :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Zorg

Says pretty much the same thing as the email did. Hasn't stopped me from sticking it to wall though; motivation!!

Edit: Also, before anyone gets jumped up about the scholarships, it doesn't apply to us. Graduate entry medicine is explicitly excluded in the terms and conditions :frown:

Argh! Mine hasn't - think you got mine too Zorg.
Reply 56
Original post by M150
Argh! Mine hasn't - think you got mine too Zorg.

Haha, or maybe it's a sign that they really like me! :colone: Can't imagine why, that PS was awful!
Reply 57
Original post by Zorg
Haha, or maybe it's a sign that they really like me! :colone: Can't imagine why, that PS was awful!

Don't say that! It might be a sign they hate me because I forgot my own name on the application.
Reply 58
Original post by M150
Don't say that! It might be a sign they hate me because I forgot my own name on the application.

Them liking me and you are not mutually exclusive :wink: if anything I'd say if they like me then you're a shoe in, they'd much prefer you. Let's just blame it all on your postie :tongue:
Original post by Zorg

Yes I got this as well - was very confused as 2 why 2 were sent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending