The Student Room Group

Swansea GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Hello everyone,

I might be slightly early, but thought it would be a good idea to set-up a thread for all applicants looking to apply to the Swansea GEM programme this October!

Over the next few months, I am sure the discussion will be largely just everyone introducing themselves. So, I think I will start off!:

I am a pre-registration pharmacist :smile: I am quite fortunate in that I have already sat my GAMSAT, however that just means I have more time to worry about interviews! So, I will soon be getting loads of strange looks when practicing in front of my mirror with a hairbrush...

I will be looking to keep this post updated with any recent news and updates that arise over the course of the admissions process. I will try very hard to keep this up-to-date myself, but may need prompting by anyone who spots anything looking a bit outdated!

Also, if you're thinking this looks strangely similar to another thread you've seen... you would be right! Please visit my other threads if you are looking to meet other TSR members applying for the following medical schools:

Nottingham GEM (A101) Applicants 2015: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2730753
St. George's UoL GEM (A101) Applicants 2015: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2734790

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - Admissions News and Updates - -

Last updated: 17th November 2014
Latest news: "GAMSAT results due out over next few days. Good luck everyone!"

UCAS Applications: Closed
Interview Dates: To be confirmed.
Interview Outcomes Released: To be confirmed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - Frequently Asked Questions - -

Q: When will my GAMSAT results be released?
A: Over the past few years, results have been released exactly 2 months and one day after the exam was sat at approximately 5.30-6am via an email to the email address that the applicant registered with ACER (so there is no need to keep checking the ACER website - which appears to offer limited updates on this anyway). If this is the case again this year, we would expect the results to be released on the morning of Tuesday 18th September. However, this is not guaranteed and the date may fluctuate.

Q: How will I receive my results and what are the next steps?
A: Within the email (see above), you will be prompted to log into the ACER website to obtain your results. Once logged in, you will be able to view your overall score for each section and a table to allow you to calculate your percentile. The university will then inform you if you have successfully met their cut-off score that year and offer you an interview. This may take up to a few weeks depending on the university.

Past cut-off scores are normally readily obtained through their website (although small changes may occur each year depending on the cohort). This will frequently involve a cut-off for each individual section (which is not cohort dependent) and then an overall score cut-off which is cohort dependent. This means that all applicants who meet the application requirements alongside the individual GAMSAT cut-offs are then ranked based off their overall scores and the university will select the top ranking candidates for interview. This may be, for instance, the top 300 if there are only 300 interview places available. Please note that individual universities may also limit the number of places for graduates and hence this figure may also be subject to additional quotas.

Swansea cut-offs for 2013 (may not be equivalent for 2014; see above):

Individual sections: At least 50 in section III
Overall: 57

Swansea cut-offs for 2014:

Individual sections: At least 50 in section III
Overall: No data available.

Please note: This information has been collated from individuals and has not been confirmed by the institution. Although we can peer review additions to some extent, please do not use this information to make decisions on your UCAS application as it may be inaccurate.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey im applying here too :smile:

Just got to pass the GAMSAT in September first.....
Reply 2
Original post by nug
Hey im applying here too :smile:

Just got to pass the GAMSAT in September first.....

You will be fine! Good luck :smile:

Did anyone go to the Open Day on the 25th June? Was such a friendly place! I loved the tutorials too. I've done blood pressure testing before, but resuscitation was amazing! I am sure it gets less enjoyable when you have a real patient... but I thought I did rather well! Let's not get ahead of ourselves, anyway! Ha!
Reply 3
Here too! Loved Swansea and the boyfriend is quite keen on living at the beach so great news all around.
Reply 4
Haha... you're dragging the boyfriend to university? I'd put him to work... get him cooking for when you get back from placements etc. Keep it quiet for now... then corner him when he's signed the tenancy agreement!
Reply 5
Original post by MiloMilo
Haha... you're dragging the boyfriend to university? I'd put him to work... get him cooking for when you get back from placements etc. Keep it quiet for now... then corner him when he's signed the tenancy agreement!

Exactly :wink: I reckon sharing a one bed flat will be cheaper than a shared house and I won't have to do any housework during exams. He lives with me now so he already knows what to expect.
Hi, I'm also planning to apply to Swansea! I was at the open day on the 25th too, I really liked the med school. It was a bit of a change compared to UCL in terms of prestige and the prettiness of the campus (shallow, I know!) but I thought the clinical skills room that we saw looked great, and I generally got the feeling that it's a really friendly and close-knit med school.
I'm yet to take my GAMSAT but studying so hard at the moment...would love to get a place at Swansea!
Reply 7
Firstly, welcome to the thread :smile: I passed on my good luck for GAMSAT on the other thread so won't repeat it :tongue: (Good luckkkk!)

I was surprised by how few came to the Open Day. I know it's a bit far out, but you need to see the area you'll be living in for the best part of your 20s!
Came across this FOI request yesterday and thought I would pop it in here in case others haven't seen the stats from last year.
638 applicants, 168 interviewed, 108 offers made.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/208934/response/522862/attach/3/FOI%20Response%20157%2014.pdf
Reply 9
Original post by buttoned.up
Came across this FOI request yesterday and thought I would pop it in here in case others haven't seen the stats from last year.
638 applicants, 168 interviewed, 108 offers made.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/208934/response/522862/attach/3/FOI%20Response%20157%2014.pdf

I was just wondering, does anyone know how exactly the GAMSAT ranking works for when they decide who to invite to interview? I understand they have an initial cut-off score with a minimum overall score of 50 and a minimum S3 score of 50. The website says they then rank people by GAMSAT score and interview the highest scoring applicants. Does that mean they have a secondary cut-off score at or above which everyone gets an interview?
Original post by wl1
I was just wondering, does anyone know how exactly the GAMSAT ranking works for when they decide who to invite to interview? I understand they have an initial cut-off score with a minimum overall score of 50 and a minimum S3 score of 50. The website says they then rank people by GAMSAT score and interview the highest scoring applicants. Does that mean they have a secondary cut-off score at or above which everyone gets an interview?

That FOI request shows the cut-off score for interview - last year's was 58 overall. So, you have to score a minimum of 50 overall and 50 in S3 to not be rejected straight away, and then they interview the top 25% of applicants (so last year 168 of 638). So the cut-off score to fall within that top 25% last year was 58 overall. Obviously the cut-off depends on the individual cohort's scores as to what determines the top 25%. Hope that makes sense!
Reply 11
That FOI request shows the cut-off score for interview - last year's was 58 overall. So, you have to score a minimum of 50 overall and 50 in S3 to not be rejected straight away, and then they interview the top 25% of applicants (so last year 168 of 638). So the cut-off score to fall within that top 25% last year was 58 overall. Obviously the cut-off depends on the individual cohort's scores as to what determines the top 25%. Hope that makes sense!

Right. Think so. So they interview everyone who meet the minimum academic criteria and have GAMSAT scores in the top quarter/meet the higher cut-off? Just trying to compare it with UKCAT universities where even if you meet a higher cut-off you aren't necessarily going to be given an interview. If that's right that is quite good. Have you sat the GAMSAT before? Just trying to get a sense of how achievable a score of around 58 is.
Original post by wl1
Right. Think so. So they interview everyone who meet the minimum academic criteria and have GAMSAT scores in the top quarter/meet the higher cut-off? Just trying to compare it with UKCAT universities where even if you meet a higher cut-off you aren't necessarily going to be given an interview. If that's right that is quite good. Have you sat the GAMSAT before? Just trying to get a sense of how achievable a score of around 58 is.

From what I understood from the open day and the website, that's the case. On the website it says 'Applicants, who meet the minimum entry requirements are ranked based upon their GAMSAT scores. The applicants who have scored most highly are then invited to attend the selection centre at the College of Medicine in January. We interview up to 250 candidates a year for the 70 places we have available.' From last year's data it would appear that it's the top 25% of those who achieved a GAMSAT score above 58, I didn't work it out for the other years as it was a little time consuming to count the number of people who were interviewed!

I haven't sat the GAMSAT before - sitting it this September for the first time. I'm trying not to get too caught up in all the stats - just working as hard as I can and doing all the prep that I can do! If you scroll down on this page it has some information on the percentiles, suggesting that 56-58 is 50th percentile. http://www.gamsatpreparationcourses.co.uk/scores-results
So applying with a score of 53 would be a waste?
Original post by Ama2007

It depends on the cohort this year - the cut off selects the top 25%. The cut-off was lower for 2013 and 2012 entry, off the top of my head I think it was 50? I guess it depends how strong you think your application is for your other choices and whether you're happy to gamble a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
For those interested here is the data from the FOI linked above.

May create a data sheet for this, would be interesting to know the spread of scores in the top 25%. From a quick glance it seems there are a few 70s in there :eek:

Original post by Ama2007

It depends on the cohort this year - the cut off selects the top 25%. The cut-off was lower for 2013 and 2012 entry, off the top of my head I think it was 50? I guess it depends how strong you think your application is for your other choices and whether you're happy to gamble a bit.

Just to add, it is the top 25% of applicants to the course and not the top 25% of GAMSAT scores nationally.
53 may be wishful thinking, but then again in previous years the cut off had been 50 and the jump to 58 is rather significant. Did the entry requirements change perhaps...?

EDIT: Having gone through the data a bit more, there are a couple of the 2013 scores which are below the 58 cutoff stated. Less than 10% of those interviewed mind, lowest was 51 and the lowest individual section score was 47 (S3)
Swansea used a S3 weighted score and round up. Not sure if that was mentioned earlier, all the GAMSAT schools are starting to get muddled in my head.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zorg
For those interested here is the data from the FOI linked above.

May create a data sheet for this, would be interesting to know the spread of scores in the top 25%. From a quick glance it seems there are a few 70s in there :eek:

Just to add, it is the top 25% of applicants to the course and not the top 25% of GAMSAT scores nationally.
53 may be wishful thinking, but then again in previous years the cut off had been 50 and the jump to 58 is rather significant. Did the entry requirements change perhaps...?

EDIT: Having gone through the data a bit more, there are a couple of the 2013 scores which are below the 58 cutoff stated. Less than 10% of those interviewed mind, lowest was 51 and the lowest individual section score was 47 (S3)
Swansea used a S3 weighted score and round up. Not sure if that was mentioned earlier, all the GAMSAT schools are starting to get muddled in my head.

Basically i dont even know if i want to apply anymore, after my ukcat result..missed my gamsat deadline reg was too busy organising events and setting up an organisation...after 2 attempts at medicine although i want it badly i actually cant see it ever happening...so sawnsea is just so i dont regret not applying

am just going to put 4 random unis if at all...
Reply 17
Original post by Ama2007
Basically i dont even know if i want to apply anymore, after my ukcat result..missed my gamsat deadline reg was too busy organising events and setting up an organisation...after 2 attempts at medicine although i want it badly i actually cant see it ever happening...so sawnsea is just so i dont regret not applying

am just going to put 4 random unis if at all...

Perhaps Exeter/Plymouth 5 year?
Original post by MiloMilo
Perhaps Exeter/Plymouth 5 year?

am a scottish applicant so am not eligible to all courses different requirmnets

got my MPharm 2.1
Pre reg
3 years work
in Process of setting up my own charity
AAAAC (scottish Highers)
Reply 19
Original post by Ama2007
am a scottish applicant so am not eligible to all courses different requirmnets

got my MPharm 2.1
Pre reg
3 years work
in Process of setting up my own charity
AAAAC (scottish Highers)

You're not eligible ...? I know it's GAMSAT alone for UK applicants. Perhaps 53 would be enough?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending