The Student Room Group

Struggling with choosing between two sixth forms- Help?

Poll

Which school would you choose?

Okay, so I'm in a bit of a fix. I'm going to refer to them as School 1 and School 2 just so I can keep my internet anonymity :wink:

School 1:
- Just a little bit better than School 2 grade-wise (higher percentage of A*/A grades as A2- like 86.4% or something).
- Closer to my house than School 2- less money spent on transport.
- One of my friends from my current school is going there next year as well.
- However, I was wait listed for the school, so they're not exactly desperate for me to join. They've said they'll offer me a place if I get a high number of A*s at GCSE- around 9 or 10, so fingers crossed for results day.
- It's a mixed school, and I've been in an all-girls school for the majority of my life. I'm worried that the change may be a bit too much for me to deal with.
- A large plus is that they put a lot of pressure on people to do well.
UPDATE: School one has now offered me a place with 100% off the school fees.

School 2:
- Not as good as School 1, but still an excellent school (I think about 72% A/A* grades at A2).
- Further away than School 1- more money spent on transport.
- Been there about 3/4 times so have made quite a few friends there.
- They've offered me an unconditional place, so doesn't depend on my grades at all
- When I went for my interviews there, I was given a sheet of questions to do for my further maths interview. Apparently I'm the only person to have ever completed the sheet in the set interview time, so the maths teacher was really excited to have me join. It's was a nice feeling knowing that you're wanted in a school xD
- They've knocked 70% of the school fees for me
- It's an all-girls school which is comforting
- It's a tad more relaxed than School 1.

Sorry about the long post.
Yeah, so if you were me, which would you go for? I just want to gauge opinions on this.
UPDATE: I've accepted school 1 but I'm still unsure because I feel that school 2 would be a friendlier school. I'm not sure if I'm just nervous because I don't actually have any friends in school 1 yet xD
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
School 2 ftw! :biggrin:

Despite the fact it's not as good as the first one, it seems like all the other factors you have listed seem to work in your favour?

Hopefully whichever you choose will be the one you feel most comfortable :smile:
I would say school 2 as it seems more relaxed and more of a comfortable environment therefore you are more likely to perform better with slightly less pressure :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CBftw
School 2 ftw! :biggrin:

Despite the fact it's not as good as the first one, it seems like all the other factors you have listed seem to work in your favour?

Hopefully whichever you choose will be the one you feel most comfortable :smile:

Original post by hilarysusan
I would say school 2 as it seems more relaxed and more of a comfortable environment therefore you are more likely to perform better with slightly less pressure :smile:

Ah, thanks guys xD So two votes for school 2 so far :tongue:
Reply 4
I would go with school 2 as well as you'll be more relaxed which will in turn lead to better chance of success :biggrin: I'm sure you'll excel at whatever 6th form you choose so you may as well choose the one you'll be happier at :biggrin:
Reply 5
I would go to school one, only if you work well under pressure!
Original post by Shmxsz
I would go to school one, only if you work well under pressure!

Yeah, you're the first one to day school 1 xD I do work well under pressure, yeah
I actually think school 1 is better, since people do better so the teachers must be better and the pressure is good to help you succeed. So I'd say school 1, UNLESS you think you do better under a relaxed atmosphere then school 2 is better since you'll probably do worse under the pressure school 1 would give you. :smile:

School 2 just seems too relaxed. Don't worry about being in a mixed school too, there's nothing to worry about and you'll probably adapt and end up enjoying it more then a single sex school anyway.
Original post by yellowcopter
I actually think school 1 is better, since people do better so the teachers must be better and the pressure is good to help you succeed. So I'd say school 1, UNLESS you think you do better under a relaxed atmosphere then school 2 is better since you'll probably do worse under the pressure school 1 would give you. :smile:

School 2 just seems too relaxed. Don't worry about being in a mixed school too, there's nothing to worry about and you'll probably adapt and end up enjoying it more then a single sex school anyway.

No, yeah xD I definitely do work better under pressure xD
Original post by thechemistress
No, yeah xD I definitely do work better under pressure xD

Are both schools places you have to pay to attend? If so, school 2 might actually be better since they knocked 70% off the fees. :tongue:
Reply 10
school 2.
Are both schools places you have to pay to attend? If so, school 2 might actually be better since they knocked 70% off the fees. :tongue:

Yep, but I don't know how much of a reduction of fees I'll get from School 1 until results day xD
Yep, but I don't know how much of a reduction of fees I'll get from School 1 until results day xD

Hmm, interesting. :tongue:

Just choose which ever one you think you'd enjoy more. :smile:
Hmm, interesting. :tongue:

Just choose which ever one you think you'd enjoy more. :smile:

That's the problem, I REALLY DON'T KNOW :tongue:
That's the problem, I REALLY DON'T KNOW :tongue:

The only good things about School 2 I can see is that it's relaxed, unconditional offer, you've met some people and there's a 70% fee reduction. Also that you're more comfortable because it's all girls.

However you said a relaxed atmosphere you find makes you slack, you might get into School 1 so that unconditional offer won't matter, you'll make friends at School 1 too even if not now like School 2 and for all you know the fees might have the same reduction/be lower than school 2. So I don't see the appeal of School 2. :dontknow: Also I'm sure you're not an alien and you'll be fine at a mixed school rather than girls school. :tongue:
The only good things about School 2 I can see is that it's relaxed, unconditional offer, you've met some people and there's a 70% fee reduction. Also that you're more comfortable because it's all girls.

However you said a relaxed atmosphere you find makes you slack, you might get into School 1 so that unconditional offer won't matter, you'll make friends at School 1 too even if not now like School 2 and for all you know the fees might have the same reduction/be lower than school 2. So I don't see the appeal of School 2. :dontknow: Also I'm sure you're not an alien and you'll be fine at a mixed school rather than girls school. :tongue:

Yeah, you're right! This helped so much, thanks :biggrin: School 1 was originally my first choice but then the thought of guys scared me off slightly xD at an all-girls' school, I know I can just be myself and be chill. But at a mixed school, I feel that there may be pressure to look decent everyday. And I have heard that a lot of guys judge girls on their appearances. I would rather not be dubbed 'the ugly one' xD Of course, these fears may be completely baseless, but I just don't know xD
Reply 16
They're private? The cheaper one...? (School 2 that is)

Although a mixed school might be more fun/ better for 'real life' whatever that is.
lol at people applying for 6th forms. At mine you pretty much just showed up on the day and they accepted you.
Yeah, you're right! This helped so much, thanks :biggrin: School 1 was originally my first choice but then the thought of guys scared me off slightly xD at an all-girls' school, I know I can just be myself and be chill. But at a mixed school, I feel that there may be pressure to look decent everyday. And I have heard that a lot of guys judge girls on their appearances. I would rather not be dubbed 'the ugly one' xD Of course, these fears may be completely baseless, but I just don't know xD

I'm in no way trying to pressure you into going to School 1 if that's what it sounds like, I'm just saying I don't understand why people are saying School 2. :tongue:

By the way trust me when I say mixed schools are not like that at all. I've never once in the 5 years I went to secondary heard any guys judge the girls or call any of them ugly. The only people who do judge the girls are the girls themselves talking behind each other's backs which I'm sure you'd probably be able to deal with/you're used to it since you go to an all girls school. :lol: You're fearing something that doesn't at all in any way occur in mixed schools.

You're thinking the girls and guys are sectioned or something, they really aren't and everyone just get's along and mixes together. Out all of my friends I have pretty much the same amount of friends who are girls as how many friends I have who are guys - if not more. :smile:

There's nothing to fear, I'm sure you'll fit right in and you'd never be dubbed the ugly one, especially when you're not even ugly. :biggrin: No one is that cruel, not that I know of anyway.
I'm in no way trying to pressure you into going to School 1 if that's what it sounds like, I'm just saying I don't understand why people are saying School 2. :tongue:

By the way trust me when I say mixed schools are not like that at all. I've never once in the 5 years I went to secondary heard any guys judge the girls or call any of them ugly. The only people who do judge the girls are the girls themselves talking behind each other's backs which I'm sure you'd probably be able to deal with/you're used to it since you go to an all girls school. :lol: You're fearing something that doesn't at all in any way occur in mixed schools.

You're thinking the girls and guys are sectioned or something, they really aren't and everyone just get's along and mixes together. Out all of my friends I have pretty much the same amount of friends who are girls as how many friends I have who are guys - if not more. :smile:

There's nothing to fear, I'm sure you'll fit right in and you'd never be dubbed the ugly one, especially when you're not even ugly. :biggrin: No one is that cruel, not that I know of anyway.

Yeah, I really didn't expect as many people to say School 2 :tongue:

That was rather reassuring xD I think I've just built up a really negative mental image of mixed schools, without actually experiencing one :tongue:
And yeah, it would be nice to have some real life guy friends that are really good friends of mine xD I'm just so awkward around them, so this should be a good life experience :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest