The Student Room Group

Are degrees really necessary?

I see a lot of jobs aimed at graduates in things like management and so forth. Why is having a degree a necessity for a role like this? Surely 99.99% of these type of roles are learned "on the job" so to speak. Sure, a degree says you're intelligent but so does 3 or 4 A-Levels, IMO.

I can see the importance for professional careers but for everything else it seems a waste of time to study 3-4 years for a degree that has no real use.
Reply 1
I see what you mean and you have to consider the cost and time out of the workplace. The Uni experience is more than just getting a degree though.
Reply 2
Original post by grumbeale
I see a lot of jobs aimed at graduates in things like management and so forth. Why is having a degree a necessity for a role like this? Surely 99.99% of these type of roles are learned "on the job" so to speak. Sure, a degree says you're intelligent but so does 3 or 4 A-Levels, IMO.

I can see the importance for professional careers but for everything else it seems a waste of time to study 3-4 years for a degree that has no real use.

I'd like to think I could have picked things up on the job at 18 but who knows.

However, putting someone into a job on £28k at 18 without any work experience having done some A-Levels would really have annoyed the rank and file on £10k less having been there a couple of decades...

Also whats a 'professional career' anyways? Accountancy is deemed to be one, yet a degree isn't really needed for that. The sciences have professional bodies, so does Geography.
for the jobs that lead to well-paid careers such as law and medicine, a degree is necessary, also its a great way of learning new topics in a chosen course which is what most employees look for. Some jobs don't need a degree but it depends on the person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending