The Student Room Group

Undergrad who wears the niqab. Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Assalamu'alykuk I'm entering final year of biomed and really want to wear the niqab but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a job with it. What did you end up doing with your degree ? X
Original post by securetrust
Ask away :smile:

Do you ever get unwanted attention
why do you want to cover your face? doesn't it get annoying during the summer?
This thread is 2 years old btw.
Not sure how much you know about Islam but in Islam a women is prescribed to cover everything but face and hands so that she doesn't have to succumb to annoying and degrading actions of disrespectful men. Some Muslims and there is evidence to suggest this also believe that it is prescribed to cover the face also. The wives of the prophet PBUH did so and they are our best examples as Muslim women. I know many women who feel much more comfortable in it and j know I would too. Imagine being covered head to toe with just your face showing and still getting unwanted attention. Does it bother you in the summer I suppose some people will be bothered others won't mind it others will just have gotten used to it. You find that when someone has spiritual conviction towards doing an action things of that sort do not bother them. Hope that answers your question.
Reply 225
Original post by securetrust
Ask away :smile:

I am sorry to hear that
Reply 226
Original post by Working2hard
Not sure how much you know about Islam but in Islam a women is prescribed to cover everything but face and hands

No. Read your Quran.

The wives of the prophet PBUH did so and they are our best examples as Muslim women.

If God had wanted women to cover themselves completely, he would have said it in the Quran.
Reply 227
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
God is an old fellow and I suppose rather forgetful by this point, I would not expect too much from him.

Apparently he is "all-knowing", so it doesn't work.
Will you wear it at your graduation ceremony?

I am just thinking of what the picture would look like on your parents' mantelpiece...

Also, if you have a sister and she wears one too, how will they tell you guys apart?
Original post by Josb
No. Read your Quran.

If God had wanted women to cover themselves completely, he would have said it in the Quran.

Which he did do. I was about to quote the verse for you but tbh no offence but if you are honestly suggesting that the versus for hijab is not in the Quran I think I know who needs to 'go and read the Quran.'
Original post by generallee
Will you wear it at your graduation ceremony?

I am just thinking of what the picture would look like on your parents' mantelpiece...

Also, if you have a sister and she wears one too, how will they tell you guys apart?

Nice attempt at a joke (B for effort) but if you knew a little more about Islam then you'd realise that your joke doesn't make sense. A) is is impermissible to take and print photographs in Islam except in the case of necessity ( passports , formal ID etc) so no mantel piece pictures for her. B) free mixing of genders without necessity is also forbidden so a practising Muslims shouldn't attend their graduation anyway. C) it is very easy to tell who someone is just from thier eyes. I recognise everyone I know who wears niqab when out and about as do most Muslims.
Nice attempt at a joke (B for effort) but if you knew a little more about Islam then you'd realise that your joke doesn't make sense. A) is is impermissible to take and print photographs in Islam except in the case of necessity ( passports , formal ID etc) so no mantel piece pictures for her. B) free mixing of genders without necessity is also forbidden so a practising Muslims shouldn't attend their graduation anyway. C) it is very easy to tell who someone is just from thier eyes. I recognise everyone I know who wears niqab when out and about as do most Muslims.

Fair enough.

Why I don't really understand though, is how you know your God isn't keen on graduation photos?

Photography wasn't invented in the seventh century. So he can't have said it was, what do you say, haram?

You can't say something that doesn't yet exist is forbidden can you?

So it can only be a subsequent interpretation. Not a definitive command from the time the Koran was "revealed.".

For all you really know he may not have a problem with graduation photos and all those mantelpieces are empty in a vain attempt to please him.

When actually he doesn't care much one way or the other. And anyway, with all that is going wrong in the world, especially the Muslim world you would think an all powerful creator would have more important things to worry about than a student's photo. Would you not?
Well sis, as a brother, i would need to check out your face at some point if i meaning to take a visit to your dad, unless you're already married then its cool
Hey, I'm in my final year of college and I wear Niqab Allahamduillah for like a year now. I'm kinda scared of going uni...what's it like being a Niqabi in uni were there other people who wear it too? I feel like ima be the only one. Please help! x
Original post by Akhan922
Hey, I'm in my final year of college and I wear Niqab Allahamduillah for like a year now. I'm kinda scared of going uni...what's it like being a Niqabi in uni were there other people who wear it too? I feel like ima be the only one. Please help! x

Assalaamu Alaykum sis! What was your experience like wearing the niqab in college? Did you wear it from when you started the college or did you wait a while? I aim to wear it after I've settled in, but I'm not to sure how I feel about people knowing what I look like with out the veil! I'd love if you could talk from personal experience. Jazak'Allah Khair
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest