The Student Room Group

Undergrad who wears the niqab. Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I Procrastinate
Oh my...Did you really just compare the niqab with a balaclava :facepalm2: I can't even...

Ok. Right. Firstly, the niqab has a religious purpose. if people were more educated about the purpose of the niqab, then they wouldn't be so scared of it. People have associated the niqab with negative beliefs and so that is why they are not so....accepting of it. On the other hand, the balaclava, as far as i'm concerned, has only been used to carry out theft. if someone walked in with a balaclava, your ultimate thought would be the person is going to steal something valuable.

I haven't heard of any stories in which a woman wearing a niqab has stolen. If anything, a muslim wearing a niqab is going to have a strong iman (like a strong faith), so they are unlikely to steal, since it's against Islam to do so. In addition, i have heard of a woman wearing a niqab stopping someone from stealing before, or was it a hijab...

I don't want to argue. :smile:

How can you possibly act like comparing them is silly? They're virtually the same:

The niqab is worse in fact, as it covers even more of the face.

The balaclava has "only been used to carry out theft". Yeah, it's not used on motorbikes or anything is it... you're just showing your ignorance here. Something being religous is not a reason or an excuse.

Here you go: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2424317/Muslim-woman-Shaheda-Lorgat-unmasked-court-stealing-college.html

*Says she doesn't want to argue*
*Argues*
Reply 81
Original post by manchesterunited15
Lmao

This entire post is ridiculous, you're clearly overly biased by being Muslim. And then you try and act like I'm the one being disrespectful while at the same time continuously insulting me. Incredible really.

Haha, I've read your posts, and although they are outrageously blunt, I'm not sure why people react so irrationally and fail to answer the basic questions.

Oh my...Did you really just compare the niqab with a balaclava :facepalm2: I can't even...

Ok. Right. Firstly, the niqab has a religious purpose. if people were more educated about the purpose of the niqab, then they wouldn't be so scared of it. People have associated the niqab with negative beliefs and so that is why they are not so....accepting of it. On the other hand, the balaclava, as far as i'm concerned, has only been used to carry out theft. if someone walked in with a balaclava, your ultimate thought would be the person is going to steal something valuable.

I haven't heard of any stories in which a woman wearing a niqab has stolen. If anything, a muslim wearing a niqab is going to have a strong iman (like a strong faith), so they are unlikely to steal, since it's against Islam to do so. In addition, i have heard of a woman wearing a niqab stopping someone from stealing before, or was it a hijab...

What are the religious reasons? I heard that the niqab was NOT religious, but rather was for "protection" against us vile men rapists?

What about the women that are FORCED to wear the niqab? Would you help them, or assume it be for their own good?

:clap2:
I'm loving that answer. You picked up on a great point.
Give this guy a gulab jamun for iftar.

lol :smile:
Original post by haseebi82
I find it incredible how you don't mind insulting other peoples customs but wait when people tell you simple facts about your behaviour and your narrow minded views its like your acting as a victim, be a man and take it how it is instead of acting like a weasel , in addition to that I'm not being overly biased just because of I'm muslim because my non muslim friends would agree how immature your behaviour is throughout this thread.

My behaviour is not immature, I just don't sugar coat what I'm saying. In my opinion that's the mature way, say how you feel.

I haven't really insulted any customs, I've just pointed out the many problems with the niqab. I have no problem with the hijab for example, and if people want to wear the niqab in private then they can.

How am I not meant to feel like a victim when you say things like "simple minded", "it shows how ignorant you are", "where I'm from people are respectful", and "it shows the type of person you are". Insults all the way through your posts, it's extremely rude.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 84
Theoretically we should all be free to dress how we want and so it makes me uncomfortable to think of banning something. However, I do believe that a face covering limits interaction on a societal level, ie day to day interaction in streets, in shops, and this is not good. Also, I feel that in SOME cases, women may be under cultural pressure to cover themselves. And that is totally wrong.
Original post by Harjot
Haha, I've read your posts, and although they are outrageously blunt, I'm not sure why people react so irrationally and fail to answer the basic questions.

I just say it how it is :cool:
Original post by securetrust
Take supplements and go out into garden sometimes.

Good good. You don't have to wear any coverings in the privacy of your home right?

You do realise that the problem with the niqab is not with niqabi women stealing, it's that ANYONE can wear one and appear to be a niqabi and commit crimes, right?
How can you possibly act like comparing them is silly? They're virtually the same:

The niqab is worse in fact, as it covers even more of the face.

The balaclava has "only been used to carry out theft". Yeah, it's not used on motorbikes or anything is it... you're just showing your ignorance here. Something being religous is not a reason or an excuse.

Here you go: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2424317/Muslim-woman-Shaheda-Lorgat-unmasked-court-stealing-college.html

*Says she doesn't want to argue*
*Argues*

"it covers even more of the face"
I didn't know half of a nose is sooo imporant to see.

I actually didn't know they were used for motorbikes as thermal wear. Thanks for pointing that out (by the way, i wasn't trying to say the only use for a balaclava is for theft, but that it is usually associated with it). However, you have just helped to prove my point. Many people may not know there are reasons as to why a person would wear a certain type of clothing, which isn't usually seen, such as the niqab. If people had a better idea of what it is, then they wouldn't be "scared".

"something being religious is not a reason or an excuse"
Really. Did you really just..type...that. That's like saying, christmas holidays should be banned, because it is no excuse to stay off work-that's complete and utter rubbish mate. One should value and respect a persons beliefs.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
You do realise that the problem with the niqab is not with niqabi women stealing, it's that ANYONE can wear one and appear to be a niqabi and commit crimes, right?

Anyone can wear a balaclava and commit a crime?

Anyone can wear a mask and commit a crime?

Anyone can go and steal during Halloween by wearing a costume covering their face and body?
Reply 90
Original post by DOCTL
Theoretically we should all be free to dress how we want and so it makes me uncomfortable to think of banning something. However, I do believe that a face covering limits interaction on a societal level, ie day to day interaction in streets, in shops, and this is not good. Also, I feel that in SOME cases, women may be under cultural pressure to cover themselves. And that is totally wrong.

Exactly. Banning is not cool, but there is this issue of brainwashing and forcing.

I doubt it. Even then, I don't think you'll get a valid response to this problem.

Edit -

Anyone can go and steal during Halloween by wearing a costume covering their face and body?

You are missing the point. All those things you stated are true, but irrelevant. Viva's response was to the post that someone suggested women wearing niqabs do not steal. This is one of those silly responses
(edited 9 years ago)

Uh huh, and how many people do you see walking around town wearing halloween masks the other 364 days of the year that aren't halloween?

You can't wear a mask without looking suspicious and drawing attention.

It's accepted to wear niqabs therefore anyone could wear one without drawing attention to themselves.
"it covers even more of the face"
I didn't know half of a nose is sooo imporant to see.

I actually didn't know they were used for motorbikes as thermal wear. Thanks for pointing that out (by the way, i wasn't trying to say the only use for a balaclava is for theft, but that it is usually associated with it). However, you have just helped to prove my point. Many people may not know there are reasons as to why a person would wear a certain type of clothing, which isn't usually seen, such as the niqab. If people had a better idea of what it is, then they wouldn't be "scared".

"something being religious is not a reason or an excuse"
Really. Did you really just..type...that. That's like saying, christmas holidays should be banned, because it is no excuse to stay off work-that's complete and utter rubbish mate. One should value and respect a persons beliefs.

Yes they would be scared. It's nothing to do with being Islamic, it's to do with what the item of clothing physically is.

Can we not pretend that Christmas is anything to do with religion any more? Thanks.
Reply 93
Yes they would be scared. It's nothing to do with being Islamic, it's to do with what the item of clothing physically is.

Can we not pretend that Christmas is anything to do with religion any more? Thanks.

loool, Christmas is not exclusively celebrated by Christians anymore, it is more similar to St Patrick's day in the way that it is celebrated more as a tradition.
Original post by Harjot

I doubt it. Even then, I don't think you'll get a valid response to this problem.

Edit -

You are missing the point. All those things you stated are true, but irrelevant. Viva's response was to the post that someone suggested women wearing niqabs do not steal. This is one of those silly responses

I don't even have a strong opinion one way or the other, I just dislike it when people display poor reasoning skills. Obviously I'm guilty of that myself sometimes, but I'll happily concede if I'm wrong.
Reply 95
Also, when I went on holiday to a tropical country a few years back there were lots of couples/families from the Gulf. The men wore skimpy Armani briefs and did water sports while the women sat on the beach covered head to toe in 32 degree heat. I mean, seriously?! Surely life is too short not to be able to swim, cycle, feel the sun on their faces??
And there was zero interaction with anyone else - if you can't make eye contact or smile, how can there be? For some people who live alone, a smile from a stranger in the street can make their day - how can God want to deny them that? Surely we are all responsible for each other and have to live together in society? It can't just be about 'my God', 'my family', 'my cultural beliefs'?
P.S. On a random note, kudos to all of you out there who are fasting at the moment - I am not at all anti- Muslim, just anti face covering which is a whole separate issue.
Wow you guys are well old!you are going to finish uni
Reply 97
I don't even have a strong opinion one way or the other, I just dislike it when people display poor reasoning skills. Obviously I'm guilty of that myself sometimes, but I'll happily concede if I'm wrong.

I agree with you about the reasoning skills, but find it extremely irritating when people appear to respond as if they've learnt it off a crib sheet, while not even answering the question. Obviously I'm not saying everyone here is doing that.
Original post by ExMus
Ahahah. I'm sorry Dan. I am so sorry!

Spoiler

The duplicate members are on a rise!
Original post by CJKay
Hitler got quite a lot of opposition when he invaded Poland.

Just saying.

#logicalconclusion

Its refreshing to see how people on here with nothing to say pick out irrelevant things...well why don't you "just say" something meaningful?

Quick Reply

Latest