The Student Room Group

Has the USA declared War on the World?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/11/the-ultimate-goal-of-the-nsa-is-total-population-control

At least 80% of fibre-optic cables globally go via the US”, Binney said. “This is no accident and allows the US to view all communication coming in. At least 80% of all audio calls, not just metadata, are recorded and stored in the US. The NSA lies about what it stores.”

I would like to use the article above to point out the alarming extent to US spying. Recent whistle blowers as well as uncovered files point out the alarming extent, extending not just to the United States but also to Britain.

This is blatant terrorism and I'm definitely not a conspiracy theorist. Of course this is dusted under the label of "Anti-terrorism" but what about 99.9% of the those surveillance who aren't terrorists, who are still recorded and have no say in the matter. Where and what is purpose is the information used? It's quite satirical really. If it were publicly known that Russia or Iraq were recording are every move, with the permission the UK government there would be public outcry, but because it's Amurica...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Acidy
Where and what is purpose is the information used?

Filling the dirt book.
The thing is that no-one will ever read your e-mails or listen to your phone calls. They only use this stuff to listen in on suspected terrorists/criminals. They obviously don't have the man-power to read the e-mails about John's retiring do this weekend and who's bringing the cake.

The truth is that nobody cares enough about your communications to spy on them.
The fact some people believe all communications are spied on is beyond me. Billions of communications are made every day, it would take billions of man hours to listen in on it all. Fibre optic cables going through the US has a simple explanation - It's an enormous market for high speed internet with the US government investing to improve connectivity. Oh, and Silicon Valley is there too.

Is it reasonable to assume communications between known terror groups, criminals and enemy countries are spied on - Yes!
Reply 4
Original post by The Politisphere
The fact some people believe all communications are spied on is beyond me. Billions of communications are made every day, it would take billions of man hours to listen in on it all. Fibre optic cables going through the US has a simple explanation - It's an enormous market for high speed internet with the US government investing to improve connectivity. Oh, and Silicon Valley is there too.

Is it reasonable to assume communications between known terror groups, criminals and enemy countries are spied on - Yes!

No,it must be a conspiracy!!!!!!1 :crazy:
Reply 5
Original post by PythianLegume
The thing is that no-one will ever read your e-mails or listen to your phone calls. They only use this stuff to listen in on suspected terrorists/criminals. They obviously don't have the man-power to read the e-mails about John's retiring do this weekend and who's bringing the cake.

Well it doesn't take much to become a suspect. http://daserste.ndr.de/panorama/aktuell/nsa230_page-1.html

But true enough most people won't have their communications actively looked into, just stored for later use on the off chance that having some dirt on them in the future could come in useful.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
The US views itself as gods representative on earth to uphold freedom and liberty for all except when it contradicts US economic Intrests
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
No,it must be a conspiracy!!!!!!1 :crazy:

Yeah, the likes of the cia, nsa, mi5 would never be involved in a conspiracy.
Original post by James222
The US views itself as gods representative on earth to uphold freedom and liberty for all except when it contradicts US economic Intrests

US economic interests have to take priority. Being Gods representative and protector of peace and freedom on earth can't be done on the cheap.
Original post by Acidy
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/11/the-ultimate-goal-of-the-nsa-is-total-population-control

At least 80% of fibre-optic cables globally go via the US”, Binney said. “This is no accident and allows the US to view all communication coming in. At least 80% of all audio calls, not just metadata, are recorded and stored in the US. The NSA lies about what it stores.”

I would like to use the article above to point out the alarming extent to US spying. Recent whistle blowers as well as uncovered files point out the alarming extent, extending not just to the United States but also to Britain.

This is blatant terrorism and I'm definitely not a conspiracy theorist. Of course this is dusted under the label of "Anti-terrorism" but what about 99.9% of the those surveillance who aren't terrorists, who are still recorded and have no say in the matter. Where and what is purpose is the information used? It's quite satirical really. If it were publicly known that Russia or Iraq were recording are every move, with the permission the UK government there would be public outcry, but because it's Amurica...

"..but, because it's America." I love it. Every once in a while the America haters on this site remind me that I live in the greatest country that God ever created.
Original post by Oldcon1953
"..but, because it's America." I love it. Every once in a while the America haters on this site remind me that I live in the greatest country that God ever created.

*that England ever created. But then, I guess that's the same thing :wink:
Original post by Acidy
. If it were publicly known that Russia or Iraq were recording are every move, with the permission the UK government there would be public outcry, but because it's Amurica...

Yes people are less bothered about it being America.

At the end of the day American dominance is not as bad as some of the other options. It is at the end of the day a democracy with principles of the rule of law and free market and basic rights: which is what most people want.
Superpower. Get used to it....... lol
Reply 13
Original post by Oldcon1953

I agree and that's exactly why I think the battle for independence was the greatest battle God ever gave to us (the brits).
While I am wary of claims of conspiracy, the claim that because listening to all the conversations would constitute 'a billion man-hours' would dissuade them is problematic. They have search engines and computer algorithms to sift through them all, and it would be the work of a moment for someone to weed out the conversations of their friends and family and personal enemies for gain.
Original post by PythianLegume

Are you going to John's retirement do this weekend?
Original post by Dr Pesto
Are you going to John's retirement do this weekend?

Shh, they're listening!
Reply 17
Lmfao is this guy real 😂😂😂😂
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by gladders
While I am wary of claims of conspiracy, the claim that because listening to all the conversations would constitute 'a billion man-hours' would dissuade them is problematic. They have search engines and computer algorithms to sift through them all, and it would be the work of a moment for someone to weed out the conversations of their friends and family and personal enemies for gain.

Which of course we already know has happened.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10263880/NSA-employees-spied-on-their-lovers-using-eavesdropping-programme.html
Reply 19
It's quite amazing that we are still getting all the dismissive conspiraloon lines. Have they not read the news recently? Mass surveillance by the NSA isn't tin foil hat territory anymore. Wariness is of course sensible, but outright dismissiveness is just plain retarded these are after all the same lot that gave us the likes of Mockingbird, Northwood, Gladio, MK Ultra, SHAD, Iran–Contra, COINTELPRO.........................
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending