The Student Room Group

Has the USA declared War on the World?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gladders
it would be the work of a moment for someone to weed out the conversations of their friends and family and personal enemies for gain.

But that's no different to the status quo of (almost) any civil servant (NHS, DVLA, DWP, etc) who can get access to any highly personal information of anybody... We rarely, if ever, see that information being abused, so why do people naturally assume that this information would be abused?
America like Britain, France and many other Western nations are under occupation by an immoral people who's interests go against those who vote them into power.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
But that's no different to the status quo of (almost) any civil servant (NHS, DVLA, DWP, etc) who can get access to any highly personal information of anybody... We rarely, if ever, see that information being abused, so why do people naturally assume that this information would be abused?

Because there's considerably more of it and it reveals considerably more about us. People are more and more routinely online nowadays, so having access to this information can completely destroy someone's right to privacy. Before, while it was always a concern, a compromise may have got your medical records or your tax band, but not your political opinions, private hobbies or various other things.

Someone on the previous page gave an example of a recent exposure. At least a civil servant is also accountable via his minister for any abuses discovered; GCHQ and the CIA seem to be passed over in the name of national security.
Trust the Grauniad to come out with such rubbish

Yes the biggest evil in the world must be the democratic multi-racial USA! Not ISIS or communist China...
Original post by Oldcon1953
"..but, because it's America." I love it. Every once in a while the America haters on this site remind me that I live in the greatest country that God ever created.

You made two mistakes whilst quoting that person... classic American
Reply 25
Original post by Drewski

You what? The NHS, DVLA, DWP, etc do not have access to the private communications of their friends, family and personal enemies, but non the less have been caught out abusing their positions. I guess you must have missed the news on our medical records being sold off too? Fortunately we can hold that lot to account.

Do you not think it entirely rational to be very suspicious of secretive unaccountable organisations with very little oversight and a history of widespread abuses of power that are hoovering up as much information on all of us as they can?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by n00
You what? The NHS, DVLA, DWP, etc do not have access to the private communications of their friends, family and personal enemies, but non the less have been caught out abusing their positions. I guess you must have missed the news on our medical records being sold off too? Fortunately we can hold that lot to account.

Do you not think it entirely rational to be very suspicious of secretive unaccountable organisations with very little oversight and a history of widespread abuses of power that are hoovering up as much information on all of us as they can?

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that those Gov agencies (and others) have access to your personal comms, but that they do have access to pretty much everything else about you. Name, address, DOB, taxes, wages, bank details, passport info, nat ins, driving license, etc etc, between all that there's more enough information about someone to completely and totally destroy someone's life if they, or someone working for them, chose to.

My point is I find it hard to rationalise utter hatred and contempt for one set of bodies holding access to certain information, while all the while accepting blindly that another set have access to different, but equally damaging information. Both sides have been guilty of cock ups, both sides are just as able to have one renegade working for them who'll be lazy and/or deliberately damaging.

You say we can hold them to account... but can we? What evidence is there for that? Hardly managed to stop the NHS selling off data.

I find it hard to treat them differently when they both have the same issues. Either it's always an issue, or it never is. But it can't be both.
Reply 27
Original post by Drewski
I think you misunderstand me.

Not at all. Just amazed that you can see no difference between Name, address, DOB, taxes, wages, bank details etc etc and your private communications.

Original post by Drewski
I'm not saying that those Gov agencies (and others) have access to your personal comms, but that they do have access to pretty much everything else about you. Name, address, DOB, taxes, wages, bank details, passport info, nat ins, driving license, etc etc, between all that there's more enough information about someone to completely and totally destroy someone's life if they, or someone working for them, chose to.

Hmmm interesting, how would someone go about that? :colone:
Original post by n00
Not at all. Just amazed that you can see no difference between Name, address, DOB, taxes, wages, bank details etc etc and your private communications.

I do see a difference... I just see the former as worse/potentially more damaging than the latter. Would having personal emails/browsing habits made public be embarrassing? Sure. But is having your bank account emptied, tax information abused, identity stolen worse? To me, yes, it is.

Hmmm interesting, how would someone go about that? :colone:

Well, first you'd just.... nah :tongue:
Reply 29
Original post by Drewski
I do see a difference... I just see the former as worse/potentially more damaging than the latter. Would having personal emails/browsing habits made public be embarrassing? Sure. But is having your bank account emptied, tax information abused, identity stolen worse? To me, yes, it is.

Ah well you're clearly not a politician, activist, member of the judiciary, or journalist then. I too would find having my bank account emptied, tax information abused, identity stolen worse than having embarrassing details about myself released that no one would find of any interest. Its not the damage it can do to me directly that i'm worried about, it's the potential for undermining our democracy, something the likes of the CIA have been doing around the world since their creation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Acidy
Has the USA declared War on the World?

Filed in the category of questions to which the answer is no.
Original post by n00
Ah well you're clearly not a politician, activist, member of the judiciary, or journalist then. I too would find having my bank account emptied, tax information abused, identity stolen worse than having embarrassing details about myself released that no one would find of any interest. Its not the damage it can do to me directly that i'm worried about, it's the potentially for undermining our democracy, something the likes of the CIA have been doing around the world since their creation.

It's about susceptibility to blackmail, sure. When I was in the RAF I had to pass a DV clearance because I was cleared TS, it's something that delved into every aspect of your life to test what weaknesses you had, what you were prepared to admit, that they then checked up on.
It's a pretty common test for a huge number of government departments. If people can pass that, then they have nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply

Latest