The Student Room Group

Missing out in the future

I'm 16 and going to in the near future have a procedure that will mean I miss t the least 3 months of sixth form. I know it's possible to catch up but what would you recommend I do after?
I wanna be a paediatric nurse later on in life and go to university to study nursing. If I got into sixth form and started it I would do bio chem sociology and film studies. If worse comes to worse and can't catch up should I go to college and what should I do there I'm thinking a btec but what do you guy think?
The procedure is quite intense and will require chemo and radiation therapy :s but yeah any ideas or help
Reply 1
I would speak to your sixth form about your circumstances - if you want, they should allow you to repeat the year if you find you can't catch up.

Do you really want all of that extra stress whilst undergoing treatment and then recovering, though? You could take a year out and then begin your studies at a college (or possibly your school sixth form) in a more relaxed, focused environment. You could even use some of the spare time you have in that year to get ahead, if you wanted.

But first things first, speak to someone at your sixth form. They will be able to give you a much more accurate assessment of your options than anyone on TSR could.
Reply 2
Original post by tory88
I would speak to your sixth form about your circumstances - if you want, they should allow you to repeat the year if you find you can't catch up.

Do you really want all of that extra stress whilst undergoing treatment and then recovering, though? You could take a year out and then begin your studies at a college (or possibly your school sixth form) in a more relaxed, focused environment. You could even use some of the spare time you have in that year to get ahead, if you wanted.

But first things first, speak to someone at your sixth form. They will be able to give you a much more accurate assessment of your options than anyone on TSR could.

Thanks for the advice I will talk to my teacher about it I may take the year off as you said and join a college but thanks again I will deffo talk to the teacher
Original post by DAtgirlxox
I'm 16 and going to in the near future have a procedure that will mean I miss t the least 3 months of sixth form. I know it's possible to catch up but what would you recommend I do after?
I wanna be a paediatric nurse later on in life and go to university to study nursing. If I got into sixth form and started it I would do bio chem sociology and film studies. If worse comes to worse and can't catch up should I go to college and what should I do there I'm thinking a btec but what do you guy think?
The procedure is quite intense and will require chemo and radiation therapy :s but yeah any ideas or help

You will be the better nurse as a result of your treatment - you will have empathy. Of course you will be able to repeat a year - no-one would expect you to cram A levels into 18 months whilst undergoing chemo etc.

Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You will be the better nurse as a result of your treatment - you will have empathy. Of course you will be able to repeat a year - no-one would expect you to cram A levels into 18 months whilst undergoing chemo etc.

Good luck.

Thanks I will take a year off and probs join a college then thanks for your help x

Quick Reply

Latest