The Student Room Group

AS Level Maths/Further Maths

I'm starting 6th form in August and I'm picking Maths and Further Maths and I was just wondering if anyone else has studied these and how they felt about them??

Also I'm thinking about teaching myself a little of normal Maths to gain a head-start as new things overwhelm me a little. so any useful resources ??

btw I've done Further Maths level 2 at GCSE so I already know a little.
Original post by Priya_
I'm starting 6th form in August and I'm picking Maths and Further Maths and I was just wondering if anyone else has studied these and how they felt about them??

Also I'm thinking about teaching myself a little of normal Maths to gain a head-start as new things overwhelm me a little. so any useful resources ??

I enjoy Maths and Further Maths, but that's because I like Maths. It's a lot of Maths. If you love Maths, you'll enjoy Maths and Further Maths. If you don't, it'll be hell.
I don't really think there's a lot of point self-teaching yourself stuff in advance. The first stuff you'll do (C1) is really easy anyway and you shouldn't be overwhelmed if you do it normally with everyone else.
Original post by Priya_

If you like the pure stuff then FM is for you. You have an enormous amount of flexibility with the applied modules in theory, but this will in all likelihood be restricted by your school/college so make sure you're open to a bit of Stats, a bit of Mechanics and a bit of Decision (yuck).

If your school has a MyMaths subscription then that's a pretty good website if you want to look at the first C1/applied topics. If not then you could always invest in a textbook or scour the web and I'm sure you''' find plenty.

I'm not entirely sure what FM Level 2 is (I did the AS in Y11 instead) but I presume it has bits of simple differentiation and integration and maybe some harder trig (identities/equations)? These are by far the three main topics at A-level.

Quick Reply

Latest