The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

I am a final year student at Aston university. Happy to answer any questions!

I study International Business and Modern Languages and would be more than happy to answer any questions you guys may have!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What colour were the fountains in front of the main building dyed in 1988 and 1989 ?

If you wanted to get into the May Ball for free, how would you do it ?

Who is Ms Fox and what did she used to sell from Aston Campus ?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
How often were you at the uni in your first year?
What do you hope to do after you graduate?
Do you have any regrets about going to your university?
Do people ever look down at you when you say where you go?
Why did you choose your course?
Seeing as OP has abandoned this thread, i figured as an Aston graduate myself working for the university i would answer your questions.

Original post by sophiechill
How often were you at the uni in your first year?

During my first year and the following two years i was in no more than four days a week, however my first year had slightly better timetabling and cut it down to three days a week, however the amount of contact time varies on subject, humanities like my degree have less contact time than engineering subjects which can be like a 9-5 job.

Original post by anonymouspie227
What do you hope to do after you graduate?
Do you have any regrets about going to your university?
Do people ever look down at you when you say where you go?
Why did you choose your course?

1) I didn't have a clue what i wanted to do after i graduated, i've always wanted to be a rockstar, but working as a digital marketing assistant for the university isn't too bad either, certainly less groupies though.

2) I do not have a single regret about going to university, it has caused me to immeasurably grow as a person, make great friends and landed me a killer job.

3) Not at all, most people i've spoken to hold an education at Aston in high regard.

4) I took both parts of my degree Psychology and Sociology at A Level and found them interesting enough to want to continue them, that and i figured it would lead to a job in teaching until Michael Gove altered the curriculum drastically.

Josh
Original post by Daisy93
I study International Business and Modern Languages and would be more than happy to answer any questions you guys may have!

Hands up- I'm a parent, checking out my sons shortlist for international Business and Modern Lang-Spanish , for 2015 start?
this course, from the website looks fantastic and the best so far for what he wants. Any tips on admission and any feedback that you can share about how you and others find it?
Aston has a well reputed business school. :rolleyes:
Original post by Motherlyadvice
Hands up- I'm a parent, checking out my sons shortlist for international Business and Modern Lang-Spanish , for 2015 start?
this course, from the website looks fantastic and the best so far for what he wants. Any tips on admission and any feedback that you can share about how you and others find it?

Admission wise, nothing other than filling out his UCAS form and making Aston his firm choice, that should give you the best chance as long as you get the grades. As for the course specific details, i have no personal experience completing a Sociology and Psychology degree, but what i can vouch for is the fantastic atmosphere around campus both in lectures and outside of them students and lecturers are both friendly and welcoming. I would consider coming an open day if you get the chance. :smile:

Josh
Hello, I'm resitting my AS exams next year, because I did pretty bad, will this effect my chance of getting into Optometry?
Depends on the grades you get that is what the Uni is interested in.
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
Hello, I'm resitting my AS exams next year, because I did pretty bad, will this effect my chance of getting into Optometry?

Normally we are just interested in your final grades not how many retakes you took.. Aston accepted me after retaking my AS levels. However make sure you make it your firm choice, optometry is our most popular course.
Original post by Aston University
Normally we are just interested in your final grades not how many retakes you took.. Aston accepted me after retaking my AS levels. However make sure you make it your firm choice, optometry is our most popular course.

Oh thank you!
And really?
I heard that it has been in clearing for the past 3 years, and I thought Pharmacy and Business were more popular at Aston?
Oh thank you!
And really?
I heard that it has been in clearing for the past 3 years, and I thought Pharmacy and Business were more popular at Aston?

We had five spots this morning, they filled within ten minutes. Popular for Aston anyway.
We had five spots this morning, they filled within ten minutes. Popular for Aston anyway.

Oh sorry, I meant no disrespect, just thought the other two were more popular, that's all!
Also, one more question if I may?
I'm continuing History to A2 this academic year, so I will be doing 3 AS subjects, and one A2. So, by the end of my A Levels, I will have 4 A Levels. Will I be able to use History as a subject if I do it this way?
Oh sorry, I meant no disrespect, just thought the other two were more popular, that's all!
Also, one more question if I may?
I'm continuing History to A2 this academic year, so I will be doing 3 AS subjects, and one A2. So, by the end of my A Levels, I will have 4 A Levels. Will I be able to use History as a subject if I do it this way?

No worries, apologies if i seemed a little short with you, i'm just getting lazy from typing responses all day. :P Yes as long as you list it correctly on UCAS it's a tonne of extra points for you. I ended up listing two qualifications in my first year when i applied. I'm sure it can only go in your favour.
If I have 3A's in Physics, Chemistry and Music and a C for AS, the C being in Maths, will it affect the number of unis that will offer me a place? I would like to study Chemical Engineering
Original post by Chem_boy97
If I have 3A's in Physics, Chemistry and Music and a C for AS, the C being in Maths, will it affect the number of unis that will offer me a place? I would like to study Chemical Engineering

That qualifies you for our BEng Chemical Engineering Course but not our MEng course which gives you an additional masters on top of your degree as you need a B grade in a level maths. However sometimes if you select a certain university as your firm choice they can be a little more lenient. I know when i started my degree I got accepted with a BBB when I needed an ABB.
No worries, apologies if i seemed a little short with you, i'm just getting lazy from typing responses all day. :P Yes as long as you list it correctly on UCAS it's a tonne of extra points for you. I ended up listing two qualifications in my first year when i applied. I'm sure it can only go in your favour.

Thank you so much for all the help. :biggrin:
Reply 18
1. When should I apply for a job?like, as soon as I move in or after freshers....?(Im super worried about money and I wanna keep on top of finances)
2.When should I buy Fresher's tickets?
Where are the Freshers' tickets available?
3. When is enrollment?
Original post by 1nconnu
1. When should I apply for a job?like, as soon as I move in or after freshers....?(Im super worried about money and I wanna keep on top of finances)
2.When should I buy Fresher's tickets?
Where are the Freshers' tickets available?
3. When is enrollment?

1) As soon as you move in student jobs get snapped up as people are all in the same boat. Gosta Green take on a tonne of students every september so it may be worth sending them an application if you only want some part time bar work.

2) Also as soon as possible, fresher's week normally sells out pretty fast, information should be released here from the student union.

3) Enrollment occurs in Fresher's week, it's one of the few serious things you have to do in that week so don't be too hungover. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest