The Student Room Group

Uni for clearing

So my A Level exams finished a few weeks back now, and I don't feel that I did as well as I would have hoped as I need AAB (Surrey as my firm) or ABB (Sheffield as my insurance) to get in to do Electronic Engineering.

I currently live around London and so one of the other reasons that I'm not really keen on going to Surrey any more is that I've heard the nightlife isn't great. The nightlife at Sheffield seems more appealing to me however the distance from accomodation to lecture halls seems a bit far compared to others I've seen.

I've recently saw that the University of Kent is ranked 7th in the Guardian's league table and the BEng entry requirements are BBB which seems like grades that I am much likely to get. However in the complete university guide's table it's ranked 30. I'm a bit confused with that.

Does anyone know how good Kent actually is and what the nightlife is like?

And does anyone know of any other good universities that I could apply through clearing come results day? I sort of want a balance between the both.
Kent is a good uni. Stop worrying about ranking they mean **** all most of the time unless you're doing a degree to get a job in the city. Especially for engineering the uni rank will matter even less. I know someone that studied at kent and the city it's in (canterbury) is beautiful, the campus is pretty cool as well.
Sheffield tend to be very lenient when accepting people with lower grades than their offer, they'll always accept one grade lower and occasionally two so don't worry too much.

I'm not sure how you'd do it but it might be worth rejecting Surrey and making Sheffield your firm choice if you're really confident that you'd prefer it (Sheffield's a great city, although for nightlife I'd guess that a lot of students at Surrey would go to London). I don't think you'd be able to make Kent your insurance after that though.

I'll be honest and say that uni ranking does matter for Engineering, if you go to a higher ranked uni you're much more likely (in some cases 3x as) to get a job in a relevant field and even if not, if you do an MEng they hand out 2:1s to nearly everyone which can make finding a job a little easier.
Reply 3
I'm at Surrey uni and for Engineering, we are one of the best. If nightlife is the reason you're going to uni, go someplace else but if you're looking to have a great education from a university that is growing to be one of the most respected in the UK not only for engineering, but also in general, whilst also having a decent nightlife, come to Surrey. The nightlife is there if you want it, just there isn't 20/30 different clubs to go to like Nottingham or Leeds.

The amount of times I've gone to interviews and people have been impressed that I go to Surrey, you won't regret it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending