The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Any current Southampton engineering students out there?

I'm starting civil engineering at the University of Southampton in September and I just have a few questions about the IT requirements of the course and how that stuff all works.

- Does your personal laptop need to be able to store and do everything for engineering programs that might be a part of the course?
- Or are there public PC's available for that kind of thing?
- What sort of laptop is recommended for engineering? (ie what specs)

Also one off topic question. Is there anything you would tell a new student, having been at the university, that the university don't like to tell us while we are applying or confirming?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hey there mate,

I am (now) a Third Yr Aero/Astro in Spacecraft Engineering. To quickly answer your question:

1) Yes certainly. iSolutions can give you free access to AutoCAD, Solidworks (another CAD program), MatLab, MS Office.... etc etc

2) There are literally thousands of comps which have most of the eng software. FOr the "industrial" software, you can access them from your Civ Eng building.

3) Most "modern" laptops can run all of the software. But ideally something with a separate graphics card

Ummmm, well I would like to think that we are pretty open about the info we give (Well I am anyway). If you have any questions what so ever, please PM me

Have a great day!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Quick Reply