The Student Room Group

Ex- IB Student (If you ever need help, just ask)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iJoyce
I am an ex IB student, if you want to know my choice were:
-SL Math
- SL Biology
- SL History
- HL English B
- HL ITGS
- HL Spanish
- CAS, TOK and EE.

I can be pretty helpful with these subjects and other more, hints, materials, etc...Seriously just ask me :smile:

Hi! I'm taking Sl bio as well! I do pretty well on the in class tests, but have no idea how to get C's on the bio labs :frown:

Do you have any tips? Can I find sample CCC labs anywhere? (For DCP):redface:
Reply 101
heyy, thank you for wanting to help.
I am really finding itgs hard :frown: can you please help me, how can I revise ? I found nothing on the internet that actually helps me!!
Reply 102
Original post by super_girl811
Hi :smile: I am currently choosing my subjects for the IB course and I have been hearing from others that Maths HL is quite demanding and hard.Would you say that it is difficult?

It is demanding. You need to do quite many exercises and work hard but it is not impossible to get a 7 (as you can see :P). In my opinion exam questions are quite schematic. You cannot think too much because there is not enough time, so you just need to know how to solve them. Nevertheless, I think that people exaggerate when they say that Math HL is the hardest subject in IB.

Certainly you should like maths to take it on higher level as it requires some practice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Calllu-m
I'm an ex IB student too and very happy to give advice

My subjects were

English HL - 7
History HL - 7
Geography HL - 6
Biology SL - 6
French SL - 6
Maths Studies SL - 6

Hello! Firstly, well done on your IB! That's a brilliant score! Wow I hope I can anywhere near that when(if) I do it :smile:!

I'm currently in year 11 and hoping to do IB next year. My grades are VERY average so my main concern is not being able to cope with so many subjects and worrying that I'll ruin my chances of getting into my dream uni when I COULD possibly do better with A-Levels since I'm terrible at Maths and Science and wouldn't be doing them haha.

Anyway, I have loads of questions I'd like to ask since you did HL English and Geography, two subjects I'd also like to do at HL. What grades did you attain at GCSE for them? Actually, what GCSE grades did you attain for all your subjects, if you don't mind my asking? I'm currently on an A for English and have always been since I'm quite bad at it but like it a lot and I was on an A* for the whole of year 10 and the beginning of this year but recently, my teacher told me I would get an A :frown:. That sucks since I want to be on A*s for the subjects I take at HL and hopefully for SL too. I'm already on a fixed A for English so I feel like because I'm now weaker in Geography I'll get slowed under everything and not be able to cope since my foundation is slipping away...

Yay you did French! I want to do it at HL so of course it'll be different to your SL but how did you find it? I mostly want to know how you felt about the speaking section of the course since I'm incredibly shy and hate speaking French in front of others in class but will be in a class where I'll be forced to speak French only. Did you find that challenging?

That's the questions I have for now but I have more coming since I have brain block rn haha
Original post by honeybadgerkid
Hi, also an ex-IB student here! :smile:

HLs:

English A: Literature - 6
History - 6
Economics - 7

SLs:

French B - 6
Biology - 6
Math Studies - 7

So if anyone wants to ask anything about any of those subjects then I'd be happy to answer!

Hi :smile:

I want to take HL English Lit and Maths Studies next year too, so how did you find them? I mean you got 6 and 7 which is amazing but how was the workload etc?
Original post by sophie kwon chu
Hello! Firstly, well done on your IB! That's a brilliant score! Wow I hope I can anywhere near that when(if) I do it :smile:!

I'm currently in year 11 and hoping to do IB next year. My grades are VERY average so my main concern is not being able to cope with so many subjects and worrying that I'll ruin my chances of getting into my dream uni when I COULD possibly do better with A-Levels since I'm terrible at Maths and Science and wouldn't be doing them haha.

Anyway, I have loads of questions I'd like to ask since you did HL English and Geography, two subjects I'd also like to do at HL. What grades did you attain at GCSE for them? Actually, what GCSE grades did you attain for all your subjects, if you don't mind my asking? I'm currently on an A for English and have always been since I'm quite bad at it but like it a lot and I was on an A* for the whole of year 10 and the beginning of this year but recently, my teacher told me I would get an A :frown:. That sucks since I want to be on A*s for the subjects I take at HL and hopefully for SL too. I'm already on a fixed A for English so I feel like because I'm now weaker in Geography I'll get slowed under everything and not be able to cope since my foundation is slipping away...

Yay you did French! I want to do it at HL so of course it'll be different to your SL but how did you find it? I mostly want to know how you felt about the speaking section of the course since I'm incredibly shy and hate speaking French in front of others in class but will be in a class where I'll be forced to speak French only. Did you find that challenging?

That's the questions I have for now but I have more coming since I have brain block rn haha

I got 4A*s (History geography ICTx2) 6As (English x2, science x 2, French, Classical Civ) 1 B maths. You can easily improve from GCSE to IB, like I did with English! Geography is rope learning, and all you have to do is memorize facts. My best friend didn't do GCSE Geography and did IB and got a high 6.

French SL is hard, I struggled to get a 6 and I was close to getting an A* at GCSE. The oral was the hardest part, I got a 4 overall in my orals I think, it was very difficult.
Hey :smile:

Does anyone know where i could get some guidance for my maths studies IA. I am really struggling.

And i also wanted to ask; can we fake CAS hours? (by that i mean, have fake signatures but write legit reflections. Because i do an activity where the supervisor changes all the time so i have no way of getting my sheet signed)

PLEASE REPLY ASAP.

Thank you
Reply 107
Does anyone know of a bioninja equivalent for chemistry or any of the other subjects? I know there are also some really good sites for geography!
Original post by fran-11
Does anyone know of a bioninja equivalent for chemistry or any of the other subjects? I know there are also some really good sites for geography!

Richard Thornley's videos on youtube are really good for chemistry!
Original post by iJoyce
I am an ex IB student, if you want to know my choice were:
-SL Math
- SL Biology
- SL History
- HL English B
- HL ITGS
- HL Spanish
- CAS, TOK and EE.

I can be pretty helpful with these subjects and other more, hints, materials, etc...Seriously just ask me :smile:

Hiya; I would be EXTREMELY grateful if you could scan me your History notes.

I am taking HL History BUT my teacher told me that the grade 11 exams are the same in terms of content.

He is a great teacher but has not provided us with ANY notes.

I am currently going to start revision for the end of year exams in grade 11. Please give me some past papers too.

Oh and what does Paper 1, 2 and 3 entail??
:

- AccioTardis <3 :smile:
Original post by sophie kwon chu
Hi :smile:

I want to take HL English Lit and Maths Studies next year too, so how did you find them? I mean you got 6 and 7 which is amazing but how was the workload etc?

I am taking HL History BUT my teacher told me that the grade 11 exams are the same in terms of content.

I am currently going to start revision for the end of year exams in grade 11. Please give me some past papers too.

:

- AccioTardis <3

My subjects were

English HL - 7
History HL - 7
Geography HL - 6
Biology SL - 6
French SL - 6
Maths Studies SL - 6

How did you go about revising for geography HL? I also take geography HL and am aiming for a 6/7 but am currently stuck on a 5. Essay questions let me down the most - I never put enough detail. :frown:
Original post by AccioTardis

:

- AccioTardis <3 :smile:

Lol sounds kinda rude to just ask for someone's notes like that, don't you think? Take your own notes yo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by milkberries
Lol sounds kinda rude to just ask for someone's notes like that, don't you think? Take your own notes yo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your input.
Reply 114

My subjects were

English HL - 7
History HL - 7
Geography HL - 6
Biology SL - 6
French SL - 6
Maths Studies SL - 6

Hi
Did choosing Maths studies put you at a disadvantage when choosing your degree?
Original post by PJDK
Hi
Did choosing Maths studies put you at a disadvantage when choosing your degree?

Nope. I knew I was going to do an arts degree of some description so I was fine
ex IB student here too (phew! its over)

HL:
Maths, econs, history

SL:
Mandarin abinitio, chemistry, english lang & lit
Hi ex ib student, just wanted to know if i would be accepted into good universities with a subject like math studies, because math sl isnt working out for me
Reply 118
Original post by BenjaminChhabria
Hi ex ib student, just wanted to know if i would be accepted into good universities with a subject like math studies, because math sl isnt working out for me

I think you should contact the universities you are interested in to ask directly. For teacher training many universities do not accept math studies, Dutch and German universities will not accept it either for many courses. I guess if you are interested in a arts course though it may be ok, especially if it may bring your overall mark down
Original post by honeybadgerkid
Hi, also an ex-IB student here! :smile:

HLs:

English A: Literature - 6
History - 6
Economics - 7

SLs:

French B - 6
Biology - 6
Math Studies - 7

So if anyone wants to ask anything about any of those subjects then I'd be happy to answer!

Is Economics HL hard ? ive never done economics and ive taken it up as an HL for next year.
ive also taken Biology at SL. Is it just some memorising ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending