The Student Room Group

Good (not boring) university for psychology? (Ignorant American in need of advice)

I am an American looking to apply for Autumn 2015 for a psychology/criminology course and I don't know much about the universities available. I would prefer a university that isn't in the middle of nowhere but still has a bit of small community feel to it.

So far I'm considering:

London South Bank (not quite small community!)
Portsmouth
Chester
Central Lancashire
Derby
Greenwich

Any input or opinions on these universities would be greatly appreciated! Especially information on student life and things to do near the university.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tinyabsurdist
I am an American looking to apply for Autumn 2015 for a psychology/criminology course and I don't know much about the universities available. I would prefer a university that isn't in the middle of nowhere but still has a bit of small community feel to it.

So far I'm considering:

London South Bank (not quite small community!)
Portsmouth
Chester
Central Lancashire
Derby
Greenwich

Any input or opinions on these universities would be greatly appreciated! Especially information on student life and things to do near the university.

Most of the universities you've listed aren't considered to be particularly good in the UK. London South Bank is one of the worst, Chester, Derby and Greenwich aren't considered particularly great either and Portsmouth is one of the better 'new ' universities. Basically if you have the grades then its usually better to look further up the league tables. If your looking for suggestions that aren't in the middle of nowhere but equally aren't in big cities check out Kent (campus near small city), Exeter (campus near a small city), Bath (campus near small city), York (campus near small city) Lancaster (campus near small city) Surrey (campus near small city)
I know they aren't the best universities but I am worried about my grades. I don't have the best grades so I'm a bit worried about not being accepted to one of the better schools. Do you know if the schools are usually strict with the standards they list?
The University of Central Lancashire is a great university in my opinion! I chose to go there this September although my grades would have allowed me to go to somewhere maybe higher on the league table. Certainly for my course, the content and opportunities given by the university in terms of employment and other extra curricular activities are brilliant. Also the accommodation is affordable and Preston is in easy reach of larger cities such as Manchester and Liverpool :smile: You should certainly make sure you've researched your course everywhere though to make sure you make the right choice for you, also make your own judgement and don't go solely by what people say on TSR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tinyabsurdist
I know they aren't the best universities but I am worried about my grades. I don't have the best grades so I'm a bit worried about not being accepted to one of the better schools. Do you know if the schools are usually strict with the standards they list?

Apologise I assumed you'd assumed (as some foreigners do) that all British unis are very good. If they are the best ones you can get into for your grades then fair enough, universities tend to be the higher up the league tables you go- normally what we'd say is 1 uni with entry requirements below your predicted or actual grades, three unis around your predicted or actual grades and one higher.
Newcastle or Northumbria! Both great, the city has been voted best student life as well as them being well known and respected!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are your predicted grades?
Original post by Lizzyysmith
Newcastle or Northumbria! Both great, the city has been voted best student life as well as them being well known and respected!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just by curiosity..Is Northumbria a good uni??? i mean ok has a strong link with newcastle uni and maybe in some fields it's dignified but is it equal or even a little less prestigious as Newcastle ?I strong doubt it..
Basically a lot of unis that ask for lower grades only do that because they are newer unis and the older ones have been there longer so can be considered more prestigious if you get me! That's not the case in all but for a lot! My sister did her architecture degree at northumbria and went on to study a masters In Chelsea college of art! And had a job in her field along side of it! I'd say it's just as good, maybe some subjects are better than others but for instance the I think it's the director of game of thrones went to northumbria uni to do media! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're both in the central city with lots of links! Probably just down to own personal opinion which one is better tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sheffield and York are both good cities and both have two universities. In each city one requires AAB (University of York & University of Sheffield), and the other requires BBB (Sheffield Hallam & York St John). They are very good universities for studying psychology. Both cities have their quiet areas as well as their sociable town areas. I would definitely research yourself though, as you know what suits you better. Moving away will be tough I'd imagine, so make sure you find the right city and university for you.
Having completed an MSc Psychology at Sheffield Hallam, I would heartily recommend that you don't attend this University. I've found the staff to be largely unhelpful and patronising (one lecturer spent a large amount of time during her lecture telling us how terrible her undergraduate students were and then compared us unfavourably) the workload heavy and infeasible (8 assessment deadlines in May and an exam; followed by dissertation supervision cut-off at the end of June) and feedback unhelpful (I was given a merit for one assignment but the feedback was all negative including the comment 'Really?' so have no idea what I did well).

Good luck with choosing a University, I wish I could give you some positives as well as negatives!

Quick Reply

Latest