The Student Room Group

Ocr Biology A level

I have just finished taking my GCSE exams and im hoping to study biology a level in sixthform. So if anyone has done the course do you have resources and tips to share 😃
Many thanks
I recommend the CGP Student Book (Your school may offer it cheaper at the start of the year). It's a great midpoint between a textbook and revision guide which is great for reviewing your knowledge. It's also not very.... CGP-y? No bad jokes or puns that make you want to groan and possibly set fire to the book.

Other than that, it's just a case of staying on top of your work, doing your homework thoroughly and making sure your exam technique is good. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by loperdoper
I recommend the CGP Student Book (Your school may offer it cheaper at the start of the year). It's a great midpoint between a textbook and revision guide which is great for reviewing your knowledge. It's also not very.... CGP-y? No bad jokes or puns that make you want to groan and possibly set fire to the book.

Other than that, it's just a case of staying on top of your work, doing your homework thoroughly and making sure your exam technique is good. Good luck!

Many thanks
What are the best exam techniques according to you
Original post by zakkiyah98
Many thanks
What are the best exam techniques according to you

It changes for each person so what works for me might not work for you? However the method I used was to go through the textbook and make bullet point notes of each page, and then do past papers (by the time the first exam had come around I had done each paper twice). The exams are a big step up from GCSE, much more than the content ever was.
I agree with the above poster.

Also, buy the OCR heinnman textbook for the course, it really is the best textbook in my opinion.
In my sixth form, our teacher made us make 'pre-reading notes'. Basically, before your lesson, make notes on the topics that will be covered in the lesson, use the specification to help you. During the lesson, add to your pre-reading notes (any useful points or elaborations that you teacher has talked about in lesson). You can then re-write your notes towards the end of the year, or you can just use the notes for revision for the exam. I did the latter because I was lazy. Lol.

Also, people always seem to forget about ISAs. I made that mistake and ended up getting a C, or D for my F213 (I can't remember). I suggest buying the guide by Philip Allen, and preparing from the beginning. It's a good idea to develop an understanding on the things that you learn in the course, because that will definitely help for the ISAs, especially evaluative.

Best of luck next year and on results day!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by CurtisDean
I agree with the above poster.

Also, buy the OCR heinnman textbook for the course, it really is the best textbook in my opinion.
In my sixth form, our teacher made us make 'pre-reading notes'. Basically, before your lesson, make notes on the topics that will be covered in the lesson, use the specification to help you. During the lesson, add to your pre-reading notes (any useful points or elaborations that you teacher has talked about in lesson). You can then re-write your notes towards the end of the year, or you can just use the notes for revision for the exam. I did the latter because I was lazy. Lol.

Also, people always seem to forget about ISAs. I made that mistake and ended up getting a C, or D for my F213 (I can't remember). I suggest buying the guide by Philip Allen, and preparing from the beginning. It's a good idea to develop an understanding on the things that you learn in the course, because that will definitely help for the ISAs, especially evaluative.

Best of luck next year and on results day!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advise
:smile: If you have any more useful tips I would highly appreciate it

But I like the CGP jokes. :frown:

How hard would you say Biology is at A-Level? Do you think it's a very tough subject or passable with a reasonable amount of effort and revision. :smile:

Would you need to spend weeks revision, or only like 1-3 weeks?
I did OCR Biology A level this year and my main advice is PAST PAPERS. The content is not technically difficult, but it is the amount of work to learn.

Keep up on top of your work, look up the specification, and make notes from the spec and from the textbooks given to you.

If you know all that there is to know for a module, past papers are very important to practice the style of papers and how they want you to structure your answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yellowcopter
But I like the CGP jokes. :frown:

How hard would you say Biology is at A-Level? Do you think it's a very tough subject or passable with a reasonable amount of effort and revision. :smile:

Would you need to spend weeks revision, or only like 1-3 weeks?

Eh, you're lucky then. GCSE sciences with all those CGP revision guides for me was essentially the deepest circle of hell.

It's difficult to say, because I messed about for my first term, so I dropped behind and had to do so much work in order to catch up. However, I caught up within a half term break when I actually put my mind to it, so provided you put your mind to it and keep on top of all the work you should be fine!

As for revision, I started to do half-revision (so, making additional notes on top of my lessons) about two months before the exams, and then actual revision started a month early. But, I didn't need to revise for one exam (because it was media studies) and I couldn't go full-blown revision on Physics because we were learning content until very close to the exam. Constant revision will make your life easier at exam time, but it's perfectly possible to power through about six weeks before your exams.
Eh, you're lucky then. GCSE sciences with all those CGP revision guides for me was essentially the deepest circle of hell.

It's difficult to say, because I messed about for my first term, so I dropped behind and had to do so much work in order to catch up. However, I caught up within a half term break when I actually put my mind to it, so provided you put your mind to it and keep on top of all the work you should be fine!

As for revision, I started to do half-revision (so, making additional notes on top of my lessons) about two months before the exams, and then actual revision started a month early. But, I didn't need to revise for one exam (because it was media studies) and I couldn't go full-blown revision on Physics because we were learning content until very close to the exam. Constant revision will make your life easier at exam time, but it's perfectly possible to power through about six weeks before your exams.

I personally loved using them during GCSE Science revision. :tongue: I know a lot of people hate them though.

So about six weeks revision along with a bit of small revision during the course? I'm guessing that's about average across all A-Level subjects then or would you say it's a bit more than your usual A-Level? By 'usual A-Level' I exclude the easier subjects like Media where one may revise less or not at all of course. :smile:
Original post by yellowcopter
I personally loved using them during GCSE Science revision. :tongue: I know a lot of people hate them though.

So about six weeks revision along with a bit of small revision during the course? I'm guessing that's about average across all A-Level subjects then or would you say it's a bit more than your usual A-Level? By 'usual A-Level' I exclude the easier subjects like Media where one may revise less or not at all of course. :smile:

Honestly it all depends on how well you're coping. My biology exam technique was.... not great, whereas my maths was pretty good, so I did more for biology than I did for maths. However, to balance it out, I found the maths content harder. Most A-levels with majority weighted in exam (i.e. not a creative subject) will ask for the same level of commitment, and you just have to adjust the scales, so to speak, depending on how good you are at the subject.
Honestly it all depends on how well you're coping. My biology exam technique was.... not great, whereas my maths was pretty good, so I did more for biology than I did for maths. However, to balance it out, I found the maths content harder. Most A-levels with majority weighted in exam (i.e. not a creative subject) will ask for the same level of commitment, and you just have to adjust the scales, so to speak, depending on how good you are at the subject.

Ah I see, thank you. :smile: I'm doing Biology and wanted to know what I signed up for which is why I asked. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest