The Student Room Group

Apart from getting the best grades, what else does it take to get into Oxbridge ?

i know you have to be well rounded but what does that mean ? have achieve a grade 8 in Music or something ? I want to get started I was going to do a 5k run but that didn't work out well( problems with age(a few months makes ALL the difference) and fundraising. so hopefully when I'm 16 I can do a 10k and raise a **** load of money, not that I'd only be doing that for Oxbridge but would it work in my favour for Oxbridge ? I actually signed up for a trip to Malawi to help build a classroom and I didn't get picked(I dont think I had ever been so upset) so my confidence in going to Oxbridge had almost completely vanished. so yeah, I want to get back up on the pedastal. :smile: I'm 15 ending year 10 next Friday 😁😁
Reply 1
Well you don't need to be well-rounded first of all; they won't care whether you've done a 10k etc. Grades also aren't everything, obviously they're a factor but you need to show you have passion for the subject.

Also, this is way too early to start thinking about Oxbridge; focus on your GCSEs :tongue:
None of these things will work in your favour (although Grade 8 on an instrument IS necessary for the Music degree, obviously :tongue: ). You have to be highly intelligent and lucky, and do as well as you can in pre-admissions tests (e.g. HAT, MAT, TSA, ELAT, etc) and the interviews. For Cambridge, you need very high UMS marks at AS Level. For Medicine at Oxford, you need as many A*s as possible.

There is no magic formula. Just apply when the time is right if you like the environment and course content, and you are in a position to make a reasonable application. If you get in, great! If you don't, not to worry - we have plenty of excellent unis in this country that would hopefully want to make you an offer instead :smile:
The being 'well rounded' thing is a myth that arises from american admissions. They are interested in your ability in your subject, and that only.

That doesn't mean you can't get anything out of an extracurricular activity though: they can develop time management skills, help you develop as a person, and of course, they can be fun! And those are factors that can be important in creating a person who is capable of getting into Oxford, even if it doesn't make a direct difference.

I guess what i'm trying to say is: get the best grades you can but otherwise, do what you want to do - no more no less.
Being someone whose full academic potential has not yet been realised (with A levels).
Original post by nexttime
The being 'well rounded' thing is a myth that arises from american admissions. They are interested in your ability in your subject, and that only.

That doesn't mean you can't get anything out of an extracurricular activity though: they can develop time management skills, help you develop as a person, and of course, they can be fun! And those are factors that can be important in creating a person who is capable of getting into Oxford, even if it doesn't make a direct difference.

I guess what i'm trying to say is: get the best grades you can but otherwise, do what you want to do - no more no less.

This is good advice. The most important thing is to pursue a subject/specialty you love, develop the case for why you want to pursue it (for interviews), and transmit your enthusiasm. Be yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending