The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Postgraduate Students at University of Leeds 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wyhu
They've got summer accommodation as well, not sure what the details are though.

Its not only that it is 42 weeks but also i choose St.Marks and Broadcasting tower because of other postgraduates fellows as also it should be a more "decent" play to live for a master degree:smile: Also the facilities there are far better compare to Leodis thats why i am thinking about a private one if there is a good opportunity of it of course.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Collegiate Accommodation
Andreas, if you are looking for 51 week postgraduate accommodation I suggest you have a look at Pennine House, just drop by and see for yourself. It is in a quiet street in the heart of town with restaurants like Carluccios and Wagamama next door, and your own private gym, cinema room, common room, etc., and has what are regarded as the smartest rooms in Leeds at a good value price. You can see more here: http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/leeds/pennine-house

Good luck with whatever you decide! Leeds is a great city and I am sure you will enjoy studying here a great deal!

I already viewed Pennise House, it looks amazing but it starts from 155 English pounds per week and that's out of my budget unfortunately
Original post by Andreascy
I already viewed Pennise House, it looks amazing but it starts from 155 English pounds per week and that's out of my budget unfortunately

Hi, did you check the Lovell Park student accommodation? :smile:
Original post by lovetobecrazy
Hi, did you check the Lovell Park student accommodation? :smile:

No i haven't check it and thanks, first time i hear someone referring to it. I just gave it a look , its closer to metropolitan than the university of Leeds and it is far more away to the business school but at least i will add it in my list and then evaluate the best option. I also notice that they do not have photos of their bedrooms to see how it is inside or they do and i haven't notice it ?:smile:
No i haven't check it and thanks, first time i hear someone referring to it. I just gave it a look , its closer to metropolitan than the university of Leeds and it is far more away to the business school but at least i will add it in my list and then evaluate the best option. I also notice that they do not have photos of their bedrooms to see how it is inside or they do and i haven't notice it ?:smile:

You are welcome :smile: Actually, I booked from the Pennine house for myself. But Lovell Park one is cheaper and its brand new as well. Maybe because of it they don't have the photos yet, but their rooms are much bigger than the others. Give a call them, maybe they can send you a link to see photos.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, I also got offered Leodis, Block E.

I really don't think I will be accepting the offer though:

1. Almost all of the people there seem to be UG freshers.
2. I find it is quite overprice - 123pw is really too much for the facilities it offers
3. The rooms seem absolutely miniscule!
4. I don't think there is nearly enough storage space in the rooms.
5. The location seems a bit dead, indeed it is close to Uni but there doesn't seem to be anything in the region.
6. Other small things: as I gather only 2 laundry rooms in the entire residence.. dunno I think I prefer having my own laundry right next to my room..

The only reason I haven't declined the offer yet is I am not sure how easy it would be to get a private accom while out of UK (I hope I will be able to pay online to the agency, but that's not certain.. I will have to wait till Tuesday to call and ask them.)
Original post by DianaSof

2. I find it is quite overprice - 123pw is really too much for the facilities it offers
5. The location seems a bit dead, indeed it is close to Uni but there doesn't seem to be anything in the region.
6. Other small things: as I gather only 2 laundry rooms in the entire residence.. dunno I think I prefer having my own laundry right next to my room..

The only reason I haven't declined the offer yet is I am not sure how easy it would be to get a private accom while out of UK (I hope I will be able to pay online to the agency, but that's not certain.. I will have to wait till Tuesday to call and ask them.)

lol, that's EXACTLY what i thought about leodis as a postgraduate student that's why i am having second thoughts of accepting it but of course i need to find something decent in order to replace leodis for a private one. If i don't get lucky i will be force to accept the offer, what are your thoughts about private one's ? did you find any good opportunity ?

Just as a bit of info for overseas students the typical cost of an average room in a shared house in Headingley, Hyde Park, Burley or Woodhouse should be around £55-£65pppw not inclusive of bills. So in a typical 3-4 person house most tenants would pay around £65-£80pppw inclusive of all bills and internet. If you're being asked for more than that then I would seriously question why, because students often get taken advantage of and end up paying far more than they ought to for their accommodation. More in fact than people pay once they graduate and are looking for a slightly nicer property.

Case in point, my partner and I have just signed for a small but really lovely 1 bedroom, 2 floor flat in Headingley that's beautifully furnished with all mod cons. We estimate the total cost for all bills (Gas/water/electricity/internet) and rent will come to about £720pm (£84pppw). And this is at the more expensive end for a 1 bed flat. To rent a similar property with two bedrooms would maybe increase rent and bills to around £95pppw.

If you do decide not to use uni accommodation or live in town then this is where I would recommend for friendly student population/good value/good amenities/good transport links etc

Leeds.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
lol, that's EXACTLY what i thought about leodis as a postgraduate student that's why i am having second thoughts of accepting it but of course i need to find something decent in order to replace leodis for a private one. If i don't get lucky i will be force to accept the offer, what are your thoughts about private one's ? did you find any good opportunity ?

Yes I found a couple of decent-looking rooms let out by a private agency. Someone I got to know recently very kindly agreed to do a house-viewing for me on Tuesday (it is bank holiday on Monday) - I don't think the agency gives out rooms without a house-viewing having taken place first! At least a lot of agencies would not do that.

So I will wait to hear what he's got to say and then will speak to the agency and ask the details about the contract and if it all works fine and they don't make any problems with paying online.. that will be ace.

If it is by any chance possible for a single house-viewing to count towards two different tennants, I will keep you informed, but I really doubt that will be the case:frown: So I suggest you find someone happy to do a house-viewing for you and then if you want I can PM you details about the rooms I've found.

And from what I've come to see about private accommodation - it is cheaper and better. Usually 123pw (the price at Leodis) would get you an extremely pleasant modern home somewhere right at city centre. As Mister Dead says, for around 80pw one can get really decent accom. The one I liked is around 80pw and is quite close to city centre as well.
Yes I found a couple of decent-looking rooms let out by a private agency. Someone I got to know recently very kindly agreed to do a house-viewing for me on Tuesday (it is bank holiday on Monday) - I don't think the agency gives out rooms without a house-viewing having taken place first! At least a lot of agencies would not do that.

So I will wait to hear what he's got to say and then will speak to the agency and ask the details about the contract and if it all works fine and they don't make any problems with paying online.. that will be ace.

If it is by any chance possible for a single house-viewing to count towards two different tennants, I will keep you informed, but I really doubt that will be the case:frown: So I suggest you find someone happy to do a house-viewing for you and then if you want I can PM you details about the rooms I've found.

And from what I've come to see about private accommodation - it is cheaper and better. Usually 123pw (the price at Leodis) would get you an extremely pleasant modern home somewhere right at city centre. As Mister Dead says, for around 80pw one can get really decent accom. The one I liked is around 80pw and is quite close to city centre as well.

Well the thing about private accommodation now is that 90% of them are sold out, i made a really short/small list with some available and now i am in evaluation process of it.
Reply 70
I'm going to study MSc International Business and already booked for Sky Plaza :smile:

For the private accommodation...I heard most of them are all sold out so the choice is limited :/ Penine and CLV seems good though I'm not sure if they still have place available or not or you can team up and rent a house instead :smile:
Wish you guys good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Private accommodation is never anything near sold out. Of course your options will be fewer in August and September but there is an excess of accommodation and there are still many, many, rooms and indeed whole houses available year round.The lack of accommodation thing is a myth spread by student housing agents to get people to panic sign tenancies earlier. If student agencies are telling you their accommodation has all gone then just go private for a unipol accredited landlord.
Original post by Mister Dead
Private accommodation is never anything near sold out. Of course your options will be fewer in August and September but there is an excess of accommodation and there are still many, many, rooms and indeed whole houses available year round.The lack of accommodation thing is a myth spread by student housing agents to get people to panic sign tenancies earlier. If student agencies are telling you their accommodation has all gone then just go private for a unipol accredited landlord.

Hello, well i was mostly interested for unite students accommodations, they are really near to the University of Leeds , affordable and a nice design on it. I carefully monitor all those accommodations in the last one and a half week and 95% of it its sold out , this is at least what they say in their official website though. Tomorrow i am going to give them a call and see, i already email them but this is going too slow. As for unipol, i already made a search there but frankly i wasn't amused by the current accommodations that are being offered.
just a quick note to say that my landlord from last year is looking to rent his three bedroom house to a group of two at a reduced rate. He hasn't successfully rented to 3 people, so I think he is dropping it to the price of a two bedroom house. It's not as flash as uni accommodation but it is fine, in great location, newly re-furbed kitchen and bathroom, great value, excellent location, you'd have a spare bedroom/study and I can vouch for my landlord being a lovely, helpful man. No agency fees, low deposit. Last year we paid about £275 not inclusive of bills so i'm guessing he's looking to rent to two for around £600. PM me if you want his details. I'm only posting this as a favour to him for being a decent landlord.
Thanks for posting this, unfortunately it caught me just a bit too late.. I signed for my accommodation earlier today already.

I think that if landlords cared to put decent photos and videos of their property on a website/blog or something - sth that takes close to 0 effort - then they would find themselves tenants far more easily. It just strikes me as odd that most of the people I contacted over the last week couldn't even send me a decent photo of their own accommodation.. I hope he finds decent tenants though.
Thanks for posting this, unfortunately it caught me just a bit too late.. I signed for my accommodation earlier today already.

I think that if landlords cared to put decent photos and videos of their property on a website/blog or something - sth that takes close to 0 effort - then they would find themselves tenants far more easily. It just strikes me as odd that most of the people I contacted over the last week couldn't even send me a decent photo of their own accommodation.. I hope he finds decent tenants though.

which accommodation you signed for?
Leodis.. you?
Leodis.. you?

Likewise. Weren't you the one that was trying to find a private accommodation (as i did also) or rent a flat ? :smile: In the end we both ended in Leodis i guess
Yes I was but it was too much fuss with contracts, etc, and in the end I couldn't be bothered, I just wanted to be sorted out in the quickest possible way.
Yes I was but it was too much fuss with contracts, etc, and in the end I couldn't be bothered, I just wanted to be sorted out in the quickest possible way.

Yeap. In which flat and room if may ask? For example, C2.34

Quick Reply

Latest