Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nutford House

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, any first hand experience of Nutford House? Is anybody else going?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was there last year, and will be again this year (reapp). The main advantage of intercollegiate halls is that you get to meet people from different unis and that you don't have to cook for yourself. I'm not sure how Nutford House compares to other intercollegiate halls - I chose it because it's the closest one to Imperial.

Do you have any specific questions about it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cool, did you enjoy it?

The usual:
    - How is the food?
    - How many people share a bathroom?
    - How many people share a kitchen?
    - Which colleges do most people attend? I think there are many from Imperial, but what about KCL?/ Do most people walk to KCL?
    - Room size?
    - Social life in general?
    - Laundry?
    - Going out/ getting home at night (as a girl)?

Cheers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammertal)
    - Which colleges do most people attend? I think there are many from Imperial, but what about KCL?/ Do most people walk to KCL?
    Dunno about your superwalking skills, but Nutford looks a bit far on the map from KCL's campuses. You might not want to be walking that distance at night.:confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming back for a second year, so yes, I did enjoy it .

- The food is acceptable, but the menu is a little boring (repeats every two weeks or so). Fish & chips every Friday. I think the food quality is the same across all intercollegiate halls, but I'm not sure.
    - About ten people to a bathroom. This varies though depending on whether you're in the main building or the annexe.
    - About half the students are from Imperial (Nutford House is really the only intercollegiate hall which is close enough to Imperial to walk). For the other half: most of them are from KCL and UCL. I'm not sure how most people get to KCL though - I suspect quite a few of them take the bus.
    - I'm not sure what to say about room size. The rooms are very small compared to those in Imperial halls, but I'm not sure how they compare to rooms in other intercollegiate halls.
    - Social life in general: if you want to get involved there are several events organised throughout the year. Also since it is catered accommodation you can talk to a lot of people at mealtimes. Finally there is a TV room and a JCR (Junior Common Room) where most people hang out.
    - Laundry: there are two washing machines and two dryers in the basement of the main house, and the same in the basement of the annexe. Last year the cost of one load of laundry was £1.60.
    - Edgware Rd never sleeps - there are people around all night, so I'd say the area is one of the safer areas in London. But I still wouldn't recommend coming home alone late at night.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sijia)
    Dunno about your superwalking skills, but Nutford looks a bit far on the map from KCL's campuses. You might not want to be walking that distance at night.:confused:
    Hmm, that's why I asked: did that when I came there for the interview, but every day...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielJ)
    I'm coming back for a second year, so yes, I did enjoy it .

- The food is acceptable, but the menu is a little boring (repeats every two weeks or so). Fish & chips every Friday. I think the food quality is the same across all intercollegiate halls, but I'm not sure.
    - About ten people to a bathroom. This varies though depending on whether you're in the main building or the annexe.
    - About half the students are from Imperial (Nutford House is really the only intercollegiate hall which is close enough to Imperial to walk). For the other half: most of them are from KCL and UCL. I'm not sure how most people get to KCL though - I suspect quite a few of them take the bus.
    - I'm not sure what to say about room size. The rooms are very small compared to those in Imperial halls, but I'm not sure how they compare to rooms in other intercollegiate halls.
    - Social life in general: if you want to get involved there are several events organised throughout the year. Also since it is catered accommodation you can talk to a lot of people at mealtimes. Finally there is a TV room and a JCR (Junior Common Room) where most people hang out.
    - Laundry: there are two washing machines and two dryers in the basement of the main house, and the same in the basement of the annexe. Last year the cost of one load of laundry was £1.60.
    - Edgware Rd never sleeps - there are people around all night, so I'd say the area is one of the safer areas in London. But I still wouldn't recommend coming home alone late at night.
    Thanks, very helpful, pos rep coming your way. It doesn't change my decision to get private accomodation though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jammertal why did you have private accomm in mind so bad?? Lol you said you knew that u'd probably take it up anyway...Where you gonna look for private accom?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mainly because I hate the thought of sharing a bathroom with 10 people I think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...well since there's so many we should just try to get a unite housing flat near Kings for all of us..There is like 5/6 right?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, well, for 5 people you'll need either a very expensive flat or a house which is far away from the uni. That's why I prefer to do a smaller flatshare with people I've met in the rel life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats true i guess...where are you gonna look for housing??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everywhere: London uni housing service to start.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Loool k..well i know this is wierd...but keep me in mind..if u need partners..im a good boy really..(ignore the nik :P)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sijia)
    Its at this point i immediately regret choosing accom by eeny meeny miney mo
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voronwe)
    I didn't put too much thought into mine either other than a few simple requisites: distance, catered, price.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voronwe)
    Another King's student who got placed in Nutford House?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just looking at it, it looks like ages to UCL, so i feel bad for you guys at kings.
    Im quite looking forward to nutford, it looked nice enough but not looking forward to the half an hour walk to ucl everyday, or the temptation of having selfridges so close. Its going to be a hard life living next to oxford street (I CANT WAIT)

And i dont think nutford has a gym so I wont feel bad that everyone else is at the gym cos i cant be arsed to excerise
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A gym and a swimming pool?? are nearby I think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naughty_uk2)
    Just looking at it, it looks like ages to UCL, so i feel bad for you guys at kings.
    Im quite looking forward to nutford, it looked nice enough but not looking forward to the half an hour walk to ucl everyday, or the temptation of having selfridges so close. Its going to be a hard life living next to oxford street (I CANT WAIT)

And i dont think nutford has a gym so I wont feel bad that everyone else is at the gym cos i cant be arsed to excerise
    I think the walking to and from campus will be exercise enough!:p:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: November 4, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

University of London Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered London Unis Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.