The Student Room Group

Computer Science/Software Engineering

Hello you all,

I am 17 years old and just completed my AS exams. I took the following subjects: Maths, Chemistry, French and Economics. I would like to pursue a career in software engineering. I am looking to do a degree in computer science/software engineering/maths + computer science.

I would like to drop economics next year and I was wondering whether I should take AS further maths or AS computing? Would that help? Which one is more beneficial? Or should I carry on with my subjects?

Thank you so much!
Reply 1
Original post by chococup123
Hello you all,

I am 17 years old and just completed my AS exams. I took the following subjects: Maths, Chemistry, French and Economics. I would like to pursue a career in software engineering. I am looking to do a degree in computer science/software engineering/maths + computer science.

I would like to drop economics next year and I was wondering whether I should take AS further maths or AS computing? Would that help? Which one is more beneficial? Or should I carry on with my subjects?

Thank you so much!

Either would be useful, but further maths would probably be more respected. You could always just take a look at the A-Level Computing spec online and try and get up to speed with some of it in your free time.
Original post by Damask-
Either would be useful, but further maths would probably be more respected. You could always just take a look at the A-Level Computing spec online and try and get up to speed with some of it in your free time.

Ok thank you, any other advise?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Ok thank you, any other advise?

Take a BSc in Computer Science and then a Masters in Software Engineering. At least, that's my plan anyway :smile:
Original post by Revel
Take a BSc in Computer Science and then a Masters in Software Engineering. At least, that's my plan anyway :smile:

Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing aswell :smile: hehe
what unis are you looking at?
Reply 5
Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing aswell :smile: hehe
what unis are you looking at?

Sheffield for CS and Oxford for SE. You?
Original post by Revel
Sheffield for CS and Oxford for SE. You?

Southampton
UCL
Bristol
Don't really know about others..
Hello you all,

Thank you so much!

Either would be great although I'd highly suggest you can get as much knowledge in any Maths subject, in terms of taking Computing I'd suggest you should talk to your teachers and ask and find out what you actually learn. Anything programming related would be useful gaining some experience in it.

Southampton
UCL
Bristol
Don't really know about others..

Check Bangor University, it's a small city and everything is within a 15 minute walk. All 1st year students get given guaranteed accommodation on a large campus (Halls of Residence) and everything is modern and up-to-date. Bangor provide a range of Computer Science courses. I'd suggest you take a look, it's a beautiful place and the support you get from the lectures and labs is pretty outstanding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending