The Student Room Group

Fun/Nightlife in different cities. Generally confused prospective Qs.

So hai I'm new here. I would like advice from some more experienced people about different cities from the perspective of a fresher.

I want to study Accounting in the UK starting in 2016 and I'll be 17 at that time. I wont turn 18 until May 2017 and I think this could be a problem ie I could be turned down by universities because of age but I really really do not want to wait a year. I'm quite mature for my age. Will this be a big issue?

Anyway, back to the city thing. Currently I'm thinking about LSE, Bath and Warwick. I want a city with a vibrant student night-life, parties, etc. My concerns are:
I have been to London several times and I'm scared that it's so big that everybody will disappear into the mass of people and I'll just be lost and friendless, which is not a situation I want to be in. Also it's quite expensive. I've also been to Bath and it is extremely pretty and looks perfect from a romantic point of view, but it could have the potential to be kind of dead for students.
I have never been to Warwick but I'm under the impression that it is basically a University and a castle and nothing else. Does this mean that the nightlife and social aspects will be bland?

I don't think I've made my point very well sorry. What I'm trying to say is I know these universities are great from an academic point of view, but I want to have fun while I'm at uni and I don't want to be somewhere which is Eat sleep study. I'd rather eat, drink, party, study. Currently I live in the middle of nowhere and there is no nightlife whatsoever so you can see the root of my concern.

Also an alternative music scene would be nice because I can't stand radio pop.

I would rather not go to Scotland (even though it's free) and definitely not NI!! I live in Republic controlled ulster and I hate it here.
I think most places will surprise you. I'm studying at York which I thought would be for old grannies on holiday but it had quite a varied nightlife & I've had loads of great nights out. Your bigger problem will be being under 18 if you want to go out. Most places tend to have bouncers so you will probably have trouble getting in.
Thanks c:
Reply 3
Warwick is campus based, so in your first year you're sort of in a bubble with the on-site facilities. Older students tend to live in the areas around the university though, more Coventry-based I guess? Basically, you're not too far from Birmingham which has major nightlife. That said, I reckon it's easier to be somewhere where you're on top of it (i.e. a city based university, places like Manchester for instance). Being able to stumble into town on foot is handy. Check on the Warwick forums here for a more accurate view of this, that's just based off visiting it/friends there.

I personally don't like London, so I won't throw much about that. It has the most going on, and the best transport, but it's very expensive and far too busy for my liking.

I don't know too much about Bath either, but the general consensus i've seen is that there's lots of nice pubs but it'll feel rather quiet if you're used to a big city nightlife. Again, I think you're near enough to Bristol to go out there but you're not on top of it.

Have you actually thought about Manchester? As a thought it fits the nightlife, and is probably bang on for the music because there's so many gigs that go on in the city. Not sure what it's like for your course though! Leeds could be another.

Most places make the most of the nightlife around, but maybe just go check out a few of the university sub forums on here to get a feel for some other places. Lots of people have asked the question before about their specific university.
Reply 4
Original post by thegingerfanboy
So hai I'm new here. I would like advice from some more experienced people about different cities from the perspective of a fresher.

I want to study Accounting in the UK starting in 2016 and I'll be 17 at that time. I wont turn 18 until May 2017 and I think this could be a problem ie I could be turned down by universities because of age but I really really do not want to wait a year. I'm quite mature for my age. Will this be a big issue?

Anyway, back to the city thing. Currently I'm thinking about LSE, Bath and Warwick. I want a city with a vibrant student night-life, parties, etc. My concerns are:
I have been to London several times and I'm scared that it's so big that everybody will disappear into the mass of people and I'll just be lost and friendless, which is not a situation I want to be in. Also it's quite expensive. I've also been to Bath and it is extremely pretty and looks perfect from a romantic point of view, but it could have the potential to be kind of dead for students.
I have never been to Warwick but I'm under the impression that it is basically a University and a castle and nothing else. Does this mean that the nightlife and social aspects will be bland?

I don't think I've made my point very well sorry. What I'm trying to say is I know these universities are great from an academic point of view, but I want to have fun while I'm at uni and I don't want to be somewhere which is Eat sleep study. I'd rather eat, drink, party, study. Currently I live in the middle of nowhere and there is no nightlife whatsoever so you can see the root of my concern.

I would rather not go to Scotland (even though it's free) and definitely not NI!! I live in Republic controlled ulster and I hate it here.

If you want alternative everything and complete freedom from all the baggage of Norn Iron, you really should come to London.
Original post by thegingerfanboy

If your interested in the student night life then surely going to uni at 17 is a no no.
Reply 6
You won't get in anywhere without being 18. If you're seriously interested in the night life, being 17 will restrict you severely, especially in places like London. Sure, you can go to parties and stuff but when people start queuing for the clubs after pre-drinks, your night will end there.

A lot of London universities have accommodation and buildings dotted around the city. I'm assuming you're looking for a campus-style uni?
Like some others have said if night life is important for you then I really would advise taking a year out and reapplying for when you will be 18 because chances are you are going to end up feeling excluded when you can't go out with your friends because the bouncers won't let you in.

Out of the places you've mentioned I don't have a clue what their night life is like I only know Liverpool and Manchester so can't help you there.

Quick Reply