The Student Room Group

Difficulty Deciding what career i want...

Hi,

So I haven't even started my degree yet (I know!) but i'm already looking to what i'm going to do after my degree. I feel like I can't make my mind up though on what I want to do, is it normal to try out a lot of different things? I thought I wanted to be a primary teacher and do a degree in that, so I did lots of work experience but then decided I wasn't ready so i've opted for a normal degree (English) with the view to gaining a teaching qualification afterwards. However i'm now looking into speech therapy postgraduate and planning to get work experience in it. But then I keep thinking about teaching too! Is it ok to be like this and not be devoted to one thing yet? I feel a bit silly and naïve floating from one thing to the other and not being able to make a decision, especially when people tend to assume that you're volunteering in that area because that' what you really want to do, but I can't make my mind up at all!

I even took a gap year because of this; seems it hasn't solved my problems that much! Am I being too uptight about everything, is it normal to want to experience lots of different things? Like on here I keep posting on speech therapy forums and teaching forums and people must think i'm a bit of a floater!
(edited 9 years ago)
My view would be to do your degree and see which aspects you like best. In a couple of years time you may have decided that teaching is the way to go, and then you can start pushing yourself towards that career. Or you may decide that having seen things in your degree you want to try something else.

Some people know what they want to do from an early age, some don't. If you don't know, keep your options open and wait until you find something you really want to do.
Reply 2
Start your degree without worrying too much about what you want to do afterwards, but try and get as much experience in both fields as you can. You may find that the realities of one or other if those don't fit with how you thought they were going to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending