The Student Room Group

re and psychology gcse

Hey guys,

So ive recently received my gcse subjects for next year (im in year8, we're choosing them early) the subjects I got were,
1)psychology 2)geography 3)french 4)art
I also qualify for the English baccalaureate

I got all my top choices but my only concern is that all my subjects are quite intense so I was thinkin of changing psychology to re. I want to become a doctor hopefully. Also, is psychology really that hard, and are my options good? ?

Thanks
Gcse psychology isn't hard, there's just a lot to remember. I think re is a lot less work though, as long as you are decent at writing essays.
I can't speak for all exam boards though: I did Edexcel Religious studies and Aqa Psychology.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Do u think I can manage with all the other subjects?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as you don't leave psychology revision until the night before the exam, yes you will manage. :smile:
Reply 4
Aw okai thank you:smile:
Original post by Hunayda
Aw okai thank you:smile:

i did AQA RE and i did no revision literally... i just paid attention in class and group discussion etc... im expecting near on 100% when i get my results in august... p.s i want to go into medicine too :3
Original post by Hunayda
Hey guys,

So ive recently received my gcse subjects for next year (im in year8, we're choosing them early) the subjects I got were,

I got all my top choices but my only concern is that all my subjects are quite intense so I was thinkin of changing psychology to re. I want to become a doctor hopefully. Also, is psychology really that hard, and are my options good? ?

Thanks

I took french, latin,, food technology & art and I regret all of them apart from food technology.

I'll say this once and honestly, don't take the whole 'i'll be fine' approach like I did.

Art GCSE is hell, honestly and if you're a lazy/unorganised person like me then honestly do not take it. You'll be dreading every lesson if you're behind and you'll want to change by the time you get to year 11 but it'll be too late. So yeah, if you're someone who's fast at working and is able to draw properly then take it otherwise don't or you'll be in tears in year 11.

French is based on a lot of memory and it doesn't go good with art either as you have to memorise lots of french for the controlled assessments and they take ages and ages to memorise and I really didn't like it. I wouldn't of taken it if it wasn't compulsory to take a language.

If your school offers latin I wouldn't advise taking it because again it's a lot of memory and its just really not worth it as you do literature & language but only receive one GCSE.

R.E I would strongly reccommend because it's a doss subject and you get a good GCSE out of it. Basically an easy A/A*

My cousin did GCSE geography and got an A which was alright and he didn't revise what so ever but he's got an amazing memory so that probably helped him a lot.

Psychology idk my school didn't do it to be honest.

With medicine, your university will be looking more at the grades you achieved rather than the subjects at GCSE so if I were you i'd look at the courses again and pick out the easy ones and do them because your university won't be like 'oh she got an B in history GCSE and he got an A in r.e GCSE so lets give it to the history one because history is harder' they'll be looking at the grades rather than the subjects. Once you reach a-level the subjects start to matter a lot.

So yeah, good luck in your gcses I hope you do well xx
Reply 7
Aw okay, im thinking about art as well, because I want something creative and that seems to be my only options. I love drawing, but do u think I can cope with it and all my subjects? Im not lazy but I csn take quite a while to get things done:yes:
Reply 8
Aw hope you get your 100% :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Hunayda
Hey guys,

Thanks

Of that list the only one I took was geography, but also RE.

All I can see to you is to choose subjects that you enjoy! I made that mistake when I chose my options in year 8 too thinking "oohhh if I take two humanities it'll look really good on my CV!" no.

I despise geography (personal choice, nothing wrong with course) and regret taking it, so do not think to yourself that maybe if you take these GCSEs you'll get into a better Uni, seriously they won't.

Look at it like this: GCSE's are stepping stones to A-Levels. They don't have much worth (keyword there much, still want to do well!) until you get to A-Levels where they are really important.

As long as the subjects you choose don't restrict your A-Level choices too much you'll be fine, however if you want to enter medicine you'll be doing two if not three sciences and probably maths too.

TL;DR It's the grades for GCSEs that count, not the subjects. Take what you enjoy and don't stress
Original post by Hunayda
Hey guys,

Thanks

I think your options are good if you're good at them and enjoy them :smile: They're good subjects :yep: Humanities, Language and Creative (these are option blocks my school made compulsory)

GCSE Psychology is not hard, from what I've heard but it's quite boring apparently. We have Saturday classes at my school for it and many have dropped out. May be the teacher though :dontknow: RE isn't really heard either :smile:

Also, I've been looking out for some Year 8's recently, we have year group threads on tsr (y9, y10, y11, y12, y13) and I was hoping that we'd find some Year 8's to be part of the new Year 9 thread Here is the current Year 9 thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2505043 It's just a place to talk with others in your year, discuss studies, get help etc and other older years may pop in from time to time (like me )
Original post by Hunayda
Aw okay, im thinking about art as well, because I want something creative and that seems to be my only options. I love drawing, but do u think I can cope with it and all my subjects? Im not lazy but I csn take quite a while to get things done:yes:

If you take a while to get things done then donttt take art, honestly it was the same mistake i did and i regret it so so so much.

You can always do art gcse outside of school if you really want to do it but its just too stressful to do at school.

Especially as you wish to do french you wont be able to manage the coursework balance as its really really tough!!

My recommendation is not to do art, when in year 11 you'll be glad you didn't do it because your friends will be super stressed about finishing their coursework while your more relaxed and just revising for your exams in May x
Reply 12
Cool thanks!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest