The Student Room Group

RAF Medical

Got My Medical Due On The 21st Of This Month And Was Wondering If There Is Anything I May Be Better Off Knowing Before I Go In On Monday ?
Reply 1
Original post by JustJack95
Got My Medical Due On The 21st Of This Month And Was Wondering If There Is Anything I May Be Better Off Knowing Before I Go In On Monday ?

Search through the forum. Lots of other people have gone through the medical process recently and written about it on here, go find their reports on it, they'll help you out a lot.
As Drewski said, there are lots of posts on it on here. But, as always, I'll be willing to answer any questions you have. Fire away!
Reply 3
Had my medical last Friday and i passed. Don't listen to loud music before the medical as the hearing test will be harder if you do. Also know your family medical as this is asked and it helps if you do a little asking around.

It's not that bad so don't worry about it really!

Sarah
Reply 4
Medical is pretty basic, you don't really have to prepare for anything just be calm and follow instructions.

Yeah basically as Sarah said... don't listen to loud music as the hearing test is quite hard, some beeps are extremely quiet.

Basically this is the step by step things i did when i was there.

1. Fill out a form about previous illness and known diseases/allergies
2. Height + Weight measured
3. Lung capacity checked (had to blow hard into a tube)
4. Blood pressure taken
5. Urine sample (had to pee on a little stick)
6. Hearing test consisting of wearing headphones and the guy playing sounds through his laptop gradually changing the pitch/frequency and going from right to left ear
7. Stripping to underwear and had me doing 5 push ups then squatting and moving forward in a squat to show flexibility
8. Eyesight test - reading letters on a wall from far back
9. Colour blindness test - just reading numbers in a booklet with different colours in different coloured backgrounds
10. Listened to my heartbeat

This should be the basic drill just to give you a vague idea of what it will be like, not promising it will be the exact same!

Goodluck with your medical & the rest of your application process!

Matt
Reply 5
Original post by mattl93
Medical is pretty basic, you don't really have to prepare for anything just be calm and follow instructions.

Yeah basically as Sarah said... don't listen to loud music as the hearing test is quite hard, some beeps are extremely quiet.

4. Blood pressure taken
6. Hearing test consisting of wearing headphones and the guy playing sounds through his laptop gradually changing the pitch/frequency and going from right to left ear
7. Stripping to underwear and had me doing 5 push ups then squatting and moving forward in a squat to show flexibility
9. Colour blindness test - just reading numbers in a booklet with different colours in different coloured backgrounds

This should be the basic drill just to give you a vague idea of what it will be like, not promising it will be the exact same!

Matt

Very good description Matt...
I chose to eliminate the medical from my mind though there were some differences in mine like I had a pot to pee in bit maybe that's becuase I'm female? But he filled in all of the forms for me and I just said the answers. Was pretty easy medical to be fair... Not as bad as i has thought....

Sarah
Reply 6
Original post by mattl93

4. Blood pressure taken

Matt

Original post by swalley
Very good description Matt...
I chose to eliminate the medical from my mind though there were some differences in mine like I had a pot to pee in bit maybe that's becuase I'm female? But he filled in all of the forms for me and I just said the answers. Was pretty easy medical to be fair... Not as bad as i has thought....

Sarah

I agree with Sarah, very good description!
And yes, I had a pot too, no stick:smile:
Had to fill in the forms myself, so need to know your medical history... down to the dates, I couldn't quite remember what month I was in the hospital with bronchitis as a kid, just that it was autumn half a lifetime ago, but was told it's ok.

One more thing though my doc was very surprised that I could easily drop on the floor and do 5 press ups, said that most of the girls (and even some guys!) can't do that, or can barely do 2-3 press ups from the knees but she still allowed to pass them as long as they can do one.
Considering that PJFT is usually following week, I can only imagine the amount of fails there is! Don't people read what they need to be achieving? You can't just turn up and hope for the best!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
My doc only made me do three lol and he was like yeah I pass you lol glad I've trained hard leading up to the medical and pjft!

Sarah
Reply 8
Cheers Guys , I Feel In Good Shape And Never Had Something Seriously Bad Happen To Me *Touch Wood*. Thanks Again :smile:

P.S. Isn't The PJFT Normally Within 72 Hours Of Your Medical Examination
Reply 9
Cheers Guys , I Feel In Good Shape And Never Had Something Seriously Bad Happen To Me *Touch Wood*. Thanks Again :smile:

It's not really important to this thread, but are you typing out everything in block capitals, or are you intentionally capitalising the first letter of every word?

Either way, it's a bit annoying... Get out of the habit - written communication is very important in the RAF and doing it like that will not win you any favours.
Reply 10
Considering that PJFT is usually following week

First of all i was asking about this comment, as before i am certain that someone told me that the PJFT had to be done within 72 hours of the medical.

Secondly, I Sometimes Write Like This When I'm Writing Informally.

It's not really important to this thread
I started this thread.
Secondly, I Sometimes Write Like This When I'm Writing Informally.

I started this thread.

...you started it about the medical, hence why me making a point about your written comms is "not really important to the thread". It is, however, important and relevant to your standard of written comms. If it's a habit you've, for whatever reason adopted, then I'd try to get out of it, it will be a mark against you as you are tested on your standard of English.
Reply 12
I can get out of it, don't know why i do it probably i know it irritates some people for reasons i don't know neither care about. When typing emails etc i wouldn't think of using capitals because i understand it is not correct but don't effect anyone when typing in a thread.

Drewski, you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning ?
I can get out of it, don't know why i do it probably i know it irritates some people for reasons i don't know neither care about. When typing emails etc i wouldn't think of using capitals because i understand it is not correct but don't effect anyone when typing in a thread.

Drewski, you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning ?

Just a piece of friendly advice from someone who was in the RAF and knows what they're talking about. Either take it or ignore, it, entirely up to you.
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski
Just a piece of friendly advice from someone who was in the RAF and knows what they're talking about. Either take it or ignore, it, entirely up to you.

Drewski, It's not really important to this thread.

It's not set in stone, but yes usually happens within 3 working days, depends how quick Capita sends your paperwork back to AFCO.
If your medical was on Wed, Thur, Fri, weekend won't count. Hence why civvy PTI and GYM will be booked for you the following week.
Reply 16
Original post by She_wolf
It's not set in stone, but yes usually happens within 3 working days, depends how quick Capita sends your paperwork back to AFCO.
If your medical was on Wed, Thur, Fri, weekend won't count. Hence why civvy PTI and GYM will be booked for you the following week.

Thank you.
Thank you.

In my experience, I had the medical on a Friday, and the PJFT 8 days later on the following Saturday. I've heard of some who have it the next day, or even on the same day. Then there are some who wait a little longer like myself. Obviously there aren't any strict rules about it though!

Quick Reply

Latest