The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i applied for biochemistry at manc and birmingham.
didnt take either of them, even though i didnt get into medicine.
my advice is pick an insurance that u do want to do if u dont get into medicine.
otherwise it is a wasted application.
Reply 2
Aite, looks like I'm applying for medicine at Cambridge (Emmanuel), Newcastle, Bristol, Leeds and then the other two options for Chemistry with management at York and maybe Durham for Natural Sciences or Nottingham for Chemistry. I really won't be that miffed if I don't make it into medicine so a chemistry degree can get me anywhere really and then if i really want to i could do the graduate entry for medicine but by then i think i wouldnt want another 4 year and then all the extra ****.
Reply 3
I didn't put anything as my 5th and 6th choice. I knew I wouldn't settle for anything other than medicine and would have taken a gap year if I didn't get in, so it was pointless and a waste of the Universities time!

Also, although they say it will not make your application any less favourable; and universities cannot see where else you've applied. If you applied for say biochemistry and medicine at Manchester... the medicine people at Manchester would be able to know that; and I feel it may (even if only subconsciously) mean that it may hinder your applicant slightly: as you would be willing to take an offer that isn't medicine.

Saying that though: I know many people that applied for other healthcare subjects in their last 2 options, being at the same universities they applied to do medicine: and still got medical offers from them universities!

Basically, if you would be willing to do another agree other than medicine put one down: but, if you're never ever going to do a different degree it's wasting your time and the universities in my opinion.

[Oh, and some options to apply for if you did want to do some choices are pharmacy, pharmacology, biochemistry, microbiology, neuroscience, physiotherapy (at a push), physiology, optometry, audiology]
Reply 4
Personally I think you should put down something completely unrelated for your other two choices, just for a larf.

Norwegian with astrophysics anyone?

Latest