The Student Room Group

cant concentrate on tasks, always procrastinating, could this be ADHD?

Scroll to see replies

Another thing I should add....

I dont know if this is relevevant or not but I dont get tasks done due to lack of self discipline.

For example I should be job searching in the evenings, but I dont have much self discipline- I would sit in fron of the computer about to search for jobs and then I would go on youtube etc/music, and then say 'I;ll start job hunting tomorow night', but the same thing would happen the next night.

When I was at school I was smart but had difficulty settling down to revise.

I would sit down to revise but get distracted/be unable to focus eg start playing with my pen/start checking my emails or something silly like that...but that is normal to an extent, right?
Reply 21
Original post by bloomblaze
Hello all,

Im a 24 year old man.

I always leave eveything to the very last minute eg I run to get buses etc, left revision until the last miniute

My procrastination stops me from achieving things, I cant even concentrate on reading a book, I just skim through the pages.

I always did find it difficult to concentrate throughout my life.

My room is messy for example, I have difficulty finishing task that I start.

Is this 'normal' or a cause for concern?

I have heard of ADHD which can have these symptoms.

I can tell you through my experience that your problems may lie with generalised anxiety disorder or depression (or both). You don't mention many hyperactive uncontrollable urges (you mention you only do them to procrastinate, you have a reason). Although you mention you felt like this throughout you life, can you remember if it could be anxiety/depression you might of had when you were under 12 years old? Anxiety disorders are common to start in childhood, depression can also start in childhood.

You problem concentrating is due to lack of care, but not through your own fault. You simply don't feel like putting in the effort, not through your decision, but as a symptom of depression and/or anxiety It's difficult to make rational decisions. You can't remember things because of this, you give up studying because your far to anxious, can't learn, too much stress. You procrastinate because you have learned from your experiences and don't see the point trying anymore.

Have a look into depression and generalised anxiety symptoms and decide for yourself, get yourself down to your gp and tell him/her that you think you have a problem. If it's affecting your life, then it definitely is a problem.

It could be ADHD like you say, many different mental health problems share symptoms.

Talking to your GP will de-clutter your mind, because I bet you over-think uncontrollably! :P (I suffer from depression, GAD, SocAD, PD.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by bloomblaze
Hello all,

Im a 24 year old man.

I always leave eveything to the very last minute eg I run to get buses etc, left revision until the last miniute

My procrastination stops me from achieving things, I cant even concentrate on reading a book, I just skim through the pages.

I always did find it difficult to concentrate throughout my life.

My room is messy for example, I have difficulty finishing task that I start.

Is this 'normal' or a cause for concern?

I have heard of ADHD which can have these symptoms.

No this isn't ADHD. None of your behaviour is described as hyperactive...

Quick Reply

Latest