The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Does anyone know if Greenwich Accomodation blocks torrenting/streaming/gaming?

Does anyone know? There's a lot of different accommodation areas but do they all have the same internet restrictions?

Thanks to any one that answers.
I don't know about torrenting but I streamed films and managed to play games online pretty good. The speed was not the best but it was still good, around 10-15mbps. Warning though while torrenting itself isn't illegal, what you download could be (films, tv shows etc because of copyright). This is grounds under the terms and conditions you agree to when you first connect to the network and could lead to you getting into disciplinary action and having your internet access revoked and you could be asked to leave halls..
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Reply 2
Original post by Ichrisstill
I don't know about torrenting but I streamed films and managed to play games online pretty good. The speed was not the best but it was still good, around 10-15mbps. Warning though while torrenting itself isn't illegal, what you download could be (films, tv shows etc because of copyright). This is grounds under the terms and conditions you agree to when you first connect to the network and could lead to you getting into disciplinary action and having your internet access revoked and you could be asked to leave halls..

That's a bit slower than what I expected for a University connection but still ten times better than what I get now.
Reply 3
My friend lived in Mcmillan village and I am pretty sure he torrented stuff he always played his xbox too, on campus a lot of stuff is blocked though.
Reply 4
It really depends on the accommodation. I know about Avery Hill and Medway campuses, but the Greenwich main campus (I think) is different, but I imagine it would work similarly. I could be wrong though.

For Medway and Avery Hill:

Streaming: fine, most of the times.
Torrenting: Not allowed, and they say that if you are caught doing it then they will take away your internet. However, I know a lot of people who got away with it.
Gaming: As a heavy duty gamer, I found that while it's possible to play online games, the connection is honorific bad. There's no steady stream - you are guaranteed to be cut out from your game about 2 times per minute, and it can become as bad as more then 10 per minute at peak times. It connects right back almost straight away, but that second that you miss could mean the whole game. It takes away ALL the fun from playing online...

As I said, I don't know about the main campus. I hope it isn't the same as Avery Hill or Medway.
Reply 5
Original post by RT-XD
It really depends on the accommodation. I know about Avery Hill and Medway campuses, but the Greenwich main campus (I think) is different, but I imagine it would work similarly. I could be wrong though.

For Medway and Avery Hill:

Streaming: fine, most of the times.
Torrenting: Not allowed, and they say that if you are caught doing it then they will take away your internet. However, I know a lot of people who got away with it.
Gaming: As a heavy duty gamer, I found that while it's possible to play online games, the connection is honorific bad. There's no steady stream - you are guaranteed to be cut out from your game about 2 times per minute, and it can become as bad as more then 10 per minute at peak times. It connects right back almost straight away, but that second that you miss could mean the whole game. It takes away ALL the fun from playing online...

As I said, I don't know about the main campus. I hope it isn't the same as Avery Hill or Medway.

Wow that really sucks. There isn't really much point of me going to the Medway campus since the courses I'm interested in at the moment are taught at the main Greenwich campus, I didn't want to stay at the Avery hill accommodation that much either before even asking this question, and I'm really hoping not to be offered a place there now.

I've applied for nearly all the different Greenwich accommodation areas, McMillan Village, Cutty Sark, Daniel Defo, and Devonport. Which one would probably be the nicest and offer better internet?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Tobyjt

I've applied for nearly all the different Greenwich accommodation areas, McMillan Village, Cutty Sark, Daniel Defo, and Devonport. Which one would probably be the nicest and offer better internet?

McMillan village is not the prettiest but your right next to a Sainsburys and your likely to meet lots of new people walking in and out, It's a bit of a walk though tbh.

Cutty Sark halls are definitely a lot nicer and the internet there is a lot better, plus you can pay extra for higher speeds if you want but my friend said 20Mb was enough, it's got to be the closest halls to the uni as far as I am aware!!

Not been to the other two so can't comment on them.
Original post by Gonzolo
McMillan village is not the prettiest but your right next to a Sainsburys and your likely to meet lots of new people walking in and out, It's a bit of a walk though tbh.

Cutty Sark halls are definitely a lot nicer and the internet there is a lot better, plus you can pay extra for higher speeds if you want but my friend said 20Mb was enough, it's got to be the closest halls to the uni as far as I am aware!!

Of what I've been told from the e-mails from the University, they don't even have WiFi in the Avery Hill halls yet which is quite disappointing. I've applied for the Avery Hill accommodation and am really hoping it's nice.
Reply 8
Original post by Mikester962012
Of what I've been told from the e-mails from the University, they don't even have WiFi in the Avery Hill halls yet which is quite disappointing. I've applied for the Avery Hill accommodation and am really hoping it's nice.

Well it says on their website they do offer WiFi http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/accommodation/campus/avery-hill/village
Original post by Gonzolo
Well it says on their website they do offer WiFi http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/accommodation/campus/avery-hill/village

Funnily enough I just checked that website prior to your post and saw that, it wasn't on there before though as it was ResNet or something like that. This StudentCom thing must be new :smile: A lady from the Avery Hill Student Village said they were upgrading the systems so this must be what they meant by it
Reply 10
Original post by Gonzolo

Well I just got my accommodation offer, I've been given a large bed studio apartment to stay in, which sounds nice in terms of privacy and the ability to relax in peace, but I'm a bit worried I'm going to be a bit isolated from people too.

I don't think the Daniel Defo building will be finished until October, Avery Hill is too far to make much sense.
Which just leaves the Cutty sark, which I believe only offers En-suite rooms, so I don't know. Good internet sounds nice, hopefully the McMillan is just as good/stable, moving to some semi-country like house after being used to BT Infinity 2 was so difficult, from 30Mb speeds down to 1-1.5Mb was quite painful, hopefully it's much better than that.

I like the fact the McMillan building is apparently near Sainsburys, I like Sainsburys.
Reply 11
Sainsburys is a good place to shop :smile: Not the cheapest, but not too expensive either. Good quality stuff too! :smile:

Wifi at Avery Hill and Medway: last year they did not offer wireless, true.
However, I've heard they are adding wireless for the next year, which is nice I suppose. Of course, the problem is the connection problems are probably going to get worse.

Another thing I've heard they're doing is capping the internet for everyone because of the wireless addition. THIS is the main reason I'm not staying in Halls :wink:

I don't know much about the System upgrade. But if they are, I hope it's good. Would like to see people in halls have a bit more freedom when it comes to being online.
Reply 12
Original post by RT-XD
Sainsburys is a good place to shop :smile: Not the cheapest, but not too expensive either. Good quality stuff too! :smile:

Wifi at Avery Hill and Medway: last year they did not offer wireless, true.
However, I've heard they are adding wireless for the next year, which is nice I suppose. Of course, the problem is the connection problems are probably going to get worse.

Another thing I've heard they're doing is capping the internet for everyone because of the wireless addition. THIS is the main reason I'm not staying in Halls :wink:

I don't know much about the System upgrade. But if they are, I hope it's good. Would like to see people in halls have a bit more freedom when it comes to being online.

I read that Avery Hill halls also charge you for electricity, so I'm definitely glad I'm not staying there.

Anyone know how good the McMillan internet is?
Reply 13
If anyone can help me out with this question I'd appreciate it. It's about Desktops, Laptops and Tablets.
Original post by Tobyjt
Well I just got my accommodation offer, I've been given a large bed studio apartment to stay in, which sounds nice in terms of privacy and the ability to relax in peace, but I'm a bit worried I'm going to be a bit isolated from people too.

I don't think the Daniel Defo building will be finished until October, Avery Hill is too far to make much sense.
Which just leaves the Cutty sark, which I believe only offers En-suite rooms, so I don't know. Good internet sounds nice, hopefully the McMillan is just as good/stable, moving to some semi-country like house after being used to BT Infinity 2 was so difficult, from 30Mb speeds down to 1-1.5Mb was quite painful, hopefully it's much better than that.

I like the fact the McMillan building is apparently near Sainsburys, I like Sainsburys.

I'm moving in to mcmillan in september too
Reply 15
Original post by Tobyjt
I read that Avery Hill halls also charge you for electricity, so I'm definitely glad I'm not staying there.

Anyone know how good the McMillan internet is?

Yeh, I think they do. But that's only if you go way over the limit. I think...unless it's different at Medway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending