The Student Room Group

Help me with my confusion about commas!

Hey there guys I feel less confident while using commas, and this reason being is that I had always though using a comma would be inserted where ever I would have token a deep breath, and I've been getting a lot or punctuation errors in my work. Any useful tips, or advise you can give me on how to use a comma so I won't make stupid mistakes? Any method you may use that may be helpful to me? Thank you. I would appreciate some guidance.
I suggest you hit up a website on grammar.
Reply 2
Original post by Highfiveyou
Hey there guys I feel less confident while using commas, and this reason being is that I had always though using a comma would be inserted where ever I would have token a deep breath, and I've been getting a lot or punctuation errors in my work. Any useful tips, or advise you can give me on how to use a comma so I won't make stupid mistakes? Any method you may use that may be helpful to me? Thank you. I would appreciate some guidance.

Rule of thumb would be the pausing rule you mentioned, but done backwards because you tend to pause more when writing than reading. A stricter usage would only be when you are separating two main clauses or possibly using a subordinating conjunction. To be honest, I do the same thing as you and tend to put commas everywhere. Find a youtube vid about comma-splicing or a grammar textbook.
I'm so worried considering I'm starting university this September and I will has to write up essays! I'm so dead. Should I just use conjunction everytime I use a coma? Will that be safe. I actually though using a comma would be so simple there is much more to a comma than I knew at first.

Will universities mark me down if I use commas incorrectly they are my only weakness right now.

At school we never really learned anything other than use a comma, if in need of breath.

Have j used commas correctly in what I have written above?
I get anxiety and that is what makes this 10x worse.
What is a subordinating conjunction? Please elaborate for me.

I used to be so good at commas, and now I've been told different things about commas and how you should apply them in a sentence, it just seems way too complicated. I really feel like this is the only thing holding me back. I have a dream of going university. But info can't punctuate properly then that is going to drag me down. 😭
If I *
just done some research on What is a subordinating conjunction , I think i know what you on about. I've attempted What subordinating conjunction in the sentence below with a coma. Is it a right, or incorrect?

1) After going to the shops, I had realised I had forgotten the key ingredient.

2) Because Sarah was badly injured, She could no longer participate in the race.

3) Whenever I use a comma, I always get confused.

4) Since we're cooking, we should really try to make a cake.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I suggest you hit up a website on grammar.

I have read many grammar books; they haven't helped, not a single bit. I feel less confident everyday. Are you like a pro at punctuation? How would you use commas? When you need to pause?

Quick Reply

Latest