The Student Room Group

Doing medicine with a disability?

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend, whose son is thinking about university choices and who has a real interest in medicine. The trouble is that he has mild cerebral palsy. If you didn't know about it you'd just assume he was clumsier than normal, but he thinks his manual dexterity problems would be an issue for medicine and is thinking of doing a psychology and neuroscience degree instead. I'm just wondering what disabilities preclude you totally from doing medicine, and what disabilities can be accommodated?
Original post by opalescent
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend, whose son is thinking about university choices and who has a real interest in medicine. The trouble is that he has mild cerebral palsy. If you didn't know about it you'd just assume he was clumsier than normal, but he thinks his manual dexterity problems would be an issue for medicine and is thinking of doing a psychology and neuroscience degree instead. I'm just wondering what disabilities preclude you totally from doing medicine, and what disabilities can be accommodated?

Disability is something that medical schools and universities in general do take very seriously. Generally speaking, medical schools will try their utmost to accommodate disabled students and guide them through their careers.

The medical schools council says (regarding the selection of medical students):

"Medical students are expected to demonstrate all outcomes required by the GMC in Tomorrow’s Doctors before they graduate. An impairment or health condition may make it impossible for a student to meet the outcomes required by the GMC at the point of graduation. However, in most cases health conditions and disabilities will not be a bar to becoming a doctor, as reasonable adjustments can be made to the method of learning and the assessment by which the student demonstrates the required outcomes. Issues relating to a candidate’s health will not be dealt with by the interview panel. Health matters will be considered separately from the selection process, by a Health and Conduct Committee or equivalent and informed by an Occupational Health assessment. This process would be run in parallel with the general admissions decision-making process. Applicants should declare a history of any serious physical or mental disorder, and individual circumstances will always be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applicants are encouraged to seek advice from the Medical Schools as early as possible to facilitate timely consideration. A history of serious health issues will not jeopardise a career in medicine unless the condition impinges on professional fitness to practise. In addition to the Medical Schools, the disability centre within the University can also advise disabled applicants."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending