The Student Room Group

TSR Movie Madness: Group B SF1: Forrest Gump V Back to the Future

This poll is closed

group B: Semi Final 1

Forrest Gump 52%
Back to the Future48%
Total votes: 58
Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Forrest Gump (1994)
Providing a snapshot of the previous decades of American life, Rob Zemeckis' Forrest Gump (starring Tom Hanks) became an instant classic, commanding both Oscars and high levels of box office revenue. While people have tried to attribute it's message as propaganda for movements across the political spectrum, it remains a very funny and irreverent look back over recent American history.

Back to the future (1985)
How many movies popularised a whole sub-culture (skateboarding), have featured in a Presidential State of the Union's address (Ronald Reagan), changed the shape of a sports car (the DeLorean) and have a ride named after it at Universal Studios? Of course it's Back to the Future, one of cinema's greatest movie rides through time as Marty McFly and 'Doc' Brown create havoc in the space-time continuum, invent rock 'n roll and have his own Mum fancy the pants (literally) off poor old Marty. It's the greatest fun you can have with a flux capacitor!

Scroll to see replies

Forrest Gump is clearly better.
Hated 'Back to the Future'. Don't think I made it through the entirety of the film. On the other hand, 'Forrest Gump', I felt, was a good movie. Both then and now.

The choice was obvious.
Reply 3
How can you hate Back to The Future?!
Original post by Kubrick
How can you hate Back to The Future?!

Perhaps hate is a bit strong. I reserve that for Dirty Dancing and Grease.

I very much dislike Back to the Future.
Reply 5
Tough one. Probably Forrest Gump.
Original post by asr11
Tough one. Probably Forrest Gump.

:yy:
You made the right choice :hugs:.
Reply 7
Original post by keromedic

I very much dislike Back to the Future.

How can you "very much dislike" Back to the Future?! :wink:
Original post by Kubrick

By the time I watched it, I'd developed taste.
Reply 9
By the time I watched it, I'd developed taste.

Bad taste.

Nah, just kidding.. all art is subjective. :3
Original post by Kubrick
Bad taste.

Nah, just kidding.. all art is subjective. :3

If it's any consolation, I also hate the Rocky and Karate kid sagas. Don't see the appeal honestly.
Hmmm Tough one, I very much liked both. But I'm afraid it'd have to be Forrest Gump.
Tom hanks is still as impressive of an actor as he was back then.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I enjoyed both films but Back to the future just had "that edge" for me. The way the entire film worked so well and was so funny throughout made it the top choice for me here.

Forrest gump is funny some of the time but just drn weird at other times. And i personally can't stand Jenny.

My vote went to BTTF but i reckon Forrest Gump will win overall. (Although after 7 votes it's 4-3 down, lol)
Original post by Kubrick

Guessing you went for the awesome film that is the mighty BTTF then?

Or are you just winding him up? :tongue:
Original post by Motorbiker
I enjoyed both films but Back to the future just had "that edge" for me. The way the entire film worked so well and was so funny throughout made it the top choice for me here.

Forrest gump is funny some of the time but just drn weird at other times. And i personally can't stand Jenny.

My vote went to BTTF but i reckon Forrest Gump will win overall. (Although after 7 votes it's 4-3 down, lol)

BTTF will probably win.
Original post by lustawny
Nobody... Calls me... Chicken!

Has to be Back to the Future for me.

:five:

Great choice!

BTTF will probably win.

You reckon? Forrest Gump has a loyal following and it beat Monty Python to get here. I predicted FG winning but i want BTTF to win. Tough life...
Original post by Motorbiker

You reckon? Forrest Gump has a loyal following and it beat Monty Python to get here. I predicted FG winning but i want BTTF to win. Tough life...

Yea.

With the type of people on TSR, I reckon BTTF has the advantage.
Yea.

With the type of people on TSR, I reckon BTTF has the advantage.

It did score a higher % of votes in the first round but it was only up against Dr Strangelove whereas FG was up against Monty Python.
Can't vote right now as I'm on my phone, but Forrest Gump was a huge let down for me. I thought it was awful. BTTF, however, is one of my favourite films so needless to say, I'll be voting for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh, someone else who loathes Grease!

I can't bring myself to vote for either of these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending