The Student Room Group

what can you do with a 3rd class degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
A 3rd is still a pass. Many, many people fail. Just look at the failure rates on some website. Quite a few of these people still end up becoming successful. I'm sure a 3rd after your three years at uni will stand you in a better (albeit marginal) position than many others who go onto become successful.
Be optimistic and do not be afraid to try and use a 3rd classification to get you a job, just don't rely on it. This also applies to people getting a 1st from Oxbridge.
A degree grade is one thing but employers are also interested in more. What skills did you learn/develop whilst you were there?
Reply 42
Original post by Nia Okz
A little pick me up:

My mum studied part time, with 3 kids and a full time job and a part time job - as a result of that and a few other things going on in her life, she got a third. She's currently doing a masters at kingston uni.The person that interviewed her valued her determination and experience in the field. She too lacked confidence because she got a third and English isn't her first language but we pushed her to apply and as a result shes halfway through her masters and her grades are good.

Basically - Not saying it'll be easy, but whatever you want to do, don't lose hope. Persevere.

Is she self funding the masters?
Original post by Quady

Inspiring stuff.
Reply 44
Original post by TheCareersGuy
Inspiring stuff.

I didnt find it too inspiring.

The question of the thread is what can you do with a third.

The poster said 'more study' which is not quite what the OP meant. They also said how the interview really helped, I suspect it was the income stream.
Hey! Not really the perfect place to ask this but I guess all of you can help me out. I'm just wondering... I did not study in the UK but I'm looking into graduate jobs and I honestly cannot find a conversion table for grades in other countries vs. grades in the UK (there are some out there, but on some I have a 2:1, others I have a 2:2) So for example, a 2:1, a 2:2 or a third stand for what percentage exactly? How do you calculate your final grade?

Hope this makes sense :smile:
Original post by maryamzahid
as the title says. Usually people prefer at least a 2:1 or 2:2 in a degree so what can you do if you get the lowest grade?

I actually know someone who failed uni, as in, did so badly in their second year that they couldn't continue.. that's worse than a 3rd..
Original post by Emememily733
I actually know someone who failed uni, as in, did so badly in their second year that they couldn't continue.. that's worse than a 3rd..

ouch and they paid 9k a year for that? :frown:
If you haven't started Uni yet, don't even think about getting lower than a 2:1...
Really anyone who gets a 3rd should really of considered non academic courses or simply get a job

Nightworld1066
as the title says. Usually people prefer at least a 2:1 or 2:2 in a degree so what can you do if you get the lowest grade?

Not much. Most employers will conclude that you are either not very clever, or lazy
Original post by RVNmax
A 3rd is still a pass. Many, many people fail

It's far from "many, many people" who fail. It's more like 15% fail.

Most employers will conclude you are stupid or lazy.

Now Christopher Hitchens got a 3rd class degree, but most people aren't Christopher Hitchens
Reply 52
Original post by iloveteddy14
Really anyone who gets a 3rd should really of considered non academic courses or simply get a job

Nightworld1066

I know someone who got one and is about to get a PhD in chemistry from Bristol.
Original post by mostcivilised
Not much. Most employers will conclude that you are either not very clever, or lazy

can you explain to the employers why you got that classification if you have mitigating circumstances?
can you explain to the employers why you got that classification if you have mitigating circumstances?

What are your mitigating circumstances? Your mitigating circumstances should have been taken into account when you were doing your degree so you were able to resit, etc
What are your mitigating circumstances? Your mitigating circumstances should have been taken into account when you were doing your degree so you were able to resit, etc

no, I don't even go uni yet, it was a general question (sorry should have made it clearer), but I do have some people say that they will explain why they got that degree classification to their employers to get a job.
no, I don't even go uni yet, it was a general question (sorry should have made it clearer), but I do have some people say that they will explain why they got that degree classification to their employers to get a job.

It's a difficult proposition. If someone was sick during a term, they should get resits so they are not disadvantaged. So overall, proferring mitigating circumstances as an excuse for a particular degree classification often won't cut it.

And many firms, when they are recruiting, have a specific degree class cut-off, so your reason for getting a third is completely irrelevant to them. If you didn't get a 2:1 or 1st, you won't get an interview
It's a difficult proposition. If someone was sick during a term, they should get resits so they are not disadvantaged. So overall, proferring mitigating circumstances as an excuse for a particular degree classification often won't cut it.

And many firms, when they are recruiting, have a specific degree class cut-off, so your reason for getting a third is completely irrelevant to them. If you didn't get a 2:1 or 1st, you won't get an interview

its a tough life aint it?
Reply 58
It's far from "many, many people" who fail. It's more like 15% fail.

Most employers will conclude you are stupid or lazy.

Now Christopher Hitchens got a 3rd class degree, but most people aren't Christopher Hitchens

Well I don't know the exact figures. I would have thought a lower amount would have failed their degree (as in ordinary degree), but a much higher amount if you include all those who dropped out/failed to get even an ordinary degree.

Nevertheless, 15% is quite a lot. If we include 3rd classifications in that I think it's safe to say that there are plenty of people each year who in at least as bad of a position as the OP describes. A lot of these people still go and achieve something in their lives. Although, as I said before, it is unlikely the 3rd class degree will be taking them far. But, it's certainly nothing to be embarrassed about.
Reply 59
Original post by Quady

She's paying a percentage, her place of employment is paying the other percentage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending