The Student Room Group

Ban biomedical degrees for those who use it to get onto Medicine/Dentistry/Pharmacy.

Having been on a biomedical degree, I have been fed up of those who actively exploit the degree as a stopgap for Medicine; They actively drain the tax payer and their own resources for this fruitless contextual rationale. Equally grating is the money-hungry lecturers who market their course as the ultimate degree to get a coveted place on this course.
Without the risk of sounding selfish and bitter --- I am selfish and bitter --- but the degree has lost all its credibility....
I wouldn't say it's a stopgap, many people who do biomed in order to do another degree simply don't have the grades to enter a medicine/dentistry/pharmacy degree straight away. Due to the high requirements of these courses resits probably wouldn't put them in a stronger position either. It doesn't bother me to be honest, it's not like you're competing with them because they'll be after a totally different job from you after uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitamin D
It doesn't bother me to be honest, it's not like you're competing with them because they'll be after a totally different job from you after uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with this, technically you should appreciate these people - it will make it easier for you to get a job in biomedical while they'll struggle to find anywhere. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by greenladybird
I agree with this, technically you should appreciate these people - it will make it easier for you to get a job in biomedical while they'll struggle to find anywhere. :smile:

What about those people themselves?
I don't even understand why a lot of people do biomed to get into medicine. A lot of people don't even do the BMAT/UKAT test or even have relevant experience! They just do 3 years and think they can get into medicine *sigh* The graduate entry students on TSR are well prepared xD

Anyways I agree with what others have said... You're more likely to get a job as you will be applying for a job in biomedical science whereas they won't be :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest