The Student Room Group

Tesco hourly pay and interview Questions

Hi, everyone I applied for a Tesco job working as customer assistant in the home section, I was wondering how much people working at Tesco get paid? Also what was your interview like? E.g. questions asked, individual/group interview.
Thankyou in advance :smile:
Reply 1
I actually had an interview for a tesco customer assistant 5 days ago, it was an individual interview but was meant to be a group interview (not enough people turned up), i was asked things like:

Tell me about when you helped somebody and how it made you feel
Name a time when you have had to follow rules and regulations
Tell me about a time when you have been under pressure and how you overcame it
thats all i can really remember, just remember to ensure you put safety and the customer first in your answers.

It will help if you ask intelligent questions at the interview, questions i asked were How customer assistants can progress onwards in the career, and i also asked for details on tescos bronze, silver and gold training schemes.

I was asked to go into a 1 hour work trial 2 daysa fter the interview and was offered a job, if thast any help.

EDIT: was talking to the managerabout pay earlier today, you start off at a lower pay, soemthing like £6.70 p/h? and after 6 months it raises to £7.13 (approx) you get time + half on a sunday (this is in an expresss store, not sure how it works in a superstore
(edited 9 years ago)
My interview was a few months ago now, but I might still be able to help. We were opening a brand new concept store and the big focus was on customer service, so pretty much all of the questions they asked me were about that. I was asked about the last time I had to build a relationship with someone new (like a friend or colleague), the last time someone asked me to do something that was difficult, what makes a great team, the last time that I dealt with disappointment etc. Be prepared to answer questions that relate to how you connect with others, how you'll be a great addition to the team, how you'll give great customer service, things like that - if you come across as warm and friendly then you're half way there.

My interview was an individual one which lasted for about 20 minutes and all I had to do was answer questions, but in a group interview it's very likely that you'd be asked to do some sort of exercise - e.g. you'd all be put in a hypothetical scenario and have to work together to get out of the situation. If that's the case, make sure you're not the quietest in the group but I'd also be wary about being too dominant - you want to seem like a team-player. You'd then have a one-to-one session which is just the same as an individual interview.

I started off on £6.90 p/h, I'm now on £7.00 p/h but then everyone in the store got a little pay rise so I think that's due to that. When you've been in the store for six months your wage should increase again. You get time and a half on Sundays and Bank Holidays (although I've heard that you only get time and a third for bank holidays if you've worked there for less than six months - might want to double check that though). Hope this helps, good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by tígertíger
My interview was a few months ago now, but I might still be able to help. We were opening a brand new concept store and the big focus was on customer service, so pretty much all of the questions they asked me were about that. I was asked about the last time I had to build a relationship with someone new (like a friend or colleague), the last time someone asked me to do something that was difficult, what makes a great team, the last time that I dealt with disappointment etc. Be prepared to answer questions that relate to how you connect with others, how you'll be a great addition to the team, how you'll give great customer service, things like that - if you come across as warm and friendly then you're half way there.

My interview was an individual one which lasted for about 20 minutes and all I had to do was answer questions, but in a group interview it's very likely that you'd be asked to do some sort of exercise - e.g. you'd all be put in a hypothetical scenario and have to work together to get out of the situation. If that's the case, make sure you're not the quietest in the group but I'd also be wary about being too dominant - you want to seem like a team-player. You'd then have a one-to-one session which is just the same as an individual interview.

I started off on £6.90 p/h, I'm now on £7.00 p/h but then everyone in the store got a little pay rise so I think that's due to that. When you've been in the store for six months your wage should increase again. You get time and a half on Sundays and Bank Holidays (although I've heard that you only get time and a third for bank holidays if you've worked there for less than six months - might want to double check that though). Hope this helps, good luck :smile:

thanks for your help! could i ask if you work in London? also do you work in telco extra/metro etc?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ummi1
thanks for your help! could i ask if you work in London? also do you work in telco extra/metro etc?

No worries! I work in a tesco extra up north.
I had my interview about 6months ago and got the job, I work at a tesco express store :smile: They asked the same questions as the ones in the first post, and about what I do with my free time and my hobbies, its 6.90 p/h for people under 9months I think..and then it goes to 7.41-ish its also time and a half for Sundays- yayyy :smile: lol, good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
hi
My name is swati and applying job in tesco but cant successful in questionnaire .can you please help me, i really need this job
Reply 7
Original post by ummi1

Hi
My name is swati and applying job in tesco but cant successful in questionnaire .can you please help me, i really need this job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending