The Student Room Group

Is it true that all Indian girls hate getting tanned?

I've heard this a lot, just wondered how true it is.

Scroll to see replies

Tis probably true, we had out sports day today and my Tamil friends were hiding under umbrellas 'I'm dark enough no need to tan' and I saw a few Indians hiding under umbrellas too
Yeaah lol. I'm not indian but I hate tanning too :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by MidnightDream
Tis probably true, we had out sports day today and my Tamil friends were hiding under umbrellas 'I'm dark enough no need to tan' and I saw a few Indians hiding under umbrellas too

That's sad, brown/tan skin is lovely. Us Indians should be more happy with our skin, bloody propaganda :grr:
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think they hate it, but if you already had the brown skin people tan for, wouldn't you rather be in the shade than sweating like a pig?
dark skin is seen as a bad thing in the south asian community sadly :s-smilie: i used to hate my skin but i learnt how to love myself. its kind of common for dark skin girls to go through this stage where they hate their skin colour, they feel too dark/ unfeminine. theres the skin bleaching industry in india that NEEDS dark skinned girls to feel ugly so that they buy their products. south asians like to judge others by their caste, income, children, spouse, education and weight, skin colour is just another thing to critisize. south asian men like to put down south asian women because we are becoming more independant/ south asian women dont need south asian men anymore so skin colour allows them to divide south asian women from light to dark skin. this thirst for pale white skin comes from the british times of colonialism where the eurocentric beauty standard was drilled into the minds of many south asians. north indians like the hindis have a really strong light skin complex. they think they are better just for being light skinned, they think they are "closer" to white people. at the end of the day a south asian is a south asian. south asians are very judgemental, this hatred for dark skin will forever be alive.
Yep, this is common among south Asians. The ones I know anyway. Even the palest of them say they're "already dark enough" and hate being in the sun.
I'm not Indian but a similar Asian background and I'd LOVE to have white skin :sigh:
The Asian dark brown colour is just slightly off. I always use 50SPF suncream - my brown is bad enough.
Reply 8
Lol my indian friend loved to tan. Well I'm white still I hate tan lol
Original post by narcotica
I'm not Indian but a similar Asian background and I'd LOVE to have white skin :sigh:
The Asian dark brown colour is just slightly off. I always use 50SPF suncream - my brown is bad enough.

I'm sad you feel this way about yourself :frown: I think all skin tones are beautiful.
Original post by Rosie786
Lol my indian friend loved to tan. Well I'm white still I hate tan lol

racist alert.

Ditto,

Though I'm not sure if i'd want white white skin, but just a very light brown...
Reply 12
I don't even get this because we don't get dark that easily... Even a full day out in the sun won't change my skin shade at all.
All these self haters, no doubt they'll say 'just my preferenceeeeee omgg xxx' but really its colonial conditioning.

You ought to be proud of yourselves!
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't mind tanning at all but I hardly ever do.. however, I don't avoid the sun or hide under umbrellas or anything, I just put sun scream that has a relatively high SPF and then I go out in the sun.. but I prefer the shade over being in the sun constantly - sometimes it can get a bit too hot and uncomfortable :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by CryptoidAlien
racist alert.

:confused:
Wow really sorry to hear about the people who avoid tanning when the suns out.

Anyway I am not Indian but Pakistani, (quite fair skinned actually people would always make remarks like ''wow you are so lucky you have such fair skin, this bracelet looks much nicer on your fair wrists, *speaks in urdu* is she even asian?''

Anyway i love to tan, when the sun is out SO AM I! I think its awesome that i can be like 4 different shades of brown, and I love them all equally- thank god. Although at one point I think I went tan crazy, I was desperate to brown up a bit and believed I was too pale.
Not entirely relevant by I know Thai's (being half myself) don't like getting darker. It's like a sign of money as you are not in the rice fields all day. I see in the cities that people use umbrellas.

Oh how sad. Your brown is beautiful.
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm sad you feel this way about yourself :frown: I think all skin tones are beautiful.

That's sweet but not everyone thinks that sadly. Most Asians hear and see from a young age that fair is pretty (forget family, even adverts are depressing :smile: ).
Reply 19
Original post by Ggmu!
I don't even get this because we don't get dark that easily... Even a full day out in the sun won't change my skin shade at all.
All these self haters, no doubt they'll say 'just my preferenceeeeee omgg xxx' but really its colonial conditioning.

You ought to be proud of yourselves!

Preach brudda

That's sweet but not everyone thinks that sadly. Most Asians hear and see from a young age that fair is pretty (forget family, even adverts are depressing :smile: ).

Ignore em, it's not true.

Quick Reply