The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Got my interview date assigned today :smile: so excited!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 81
Original post by aliakhan
Hi XD i will definetly let you know when i get my letter or even an email likewise i hope you let me know too!!

Oh, i was also thinking of applying to Kings but when i emailed the admissions people and they told me that the accomadation isnt guaranted and i have to do the LNATs i realised that i probably wont get an offer from them. Ahh well, i guess everything happens for a reason though? I would still be super excited if i got an offer from UoM !! XD :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am sitting the LNAT this Friday and being allocated my Oxford college on the 21st. I still would love an offer from Manchester, I love the contacts side of it all- excellent linkage with London law firms which is really important considering the employment market is relatively inelastic. I just want them to email me! I am constantly checking my emails at school just in case, not so much as even a welcome email yet. They really do like to play it cool which is terrifying!
It seems that everyone else in this forum gets an offer (mainly Physics if I remember correctly?) in letter format so keep an eye on the post. Also, this time last year the offers for the M100 course were dished out this week and the next at first so keep your eyes peeled.
Sure I've said this before, but good luck! I will post and keep you updated! :colondollar:
Original post by danlocke
Ah ok thanks. How much of a difference do you think the timing of my application will make to my chances of getting an offer? i.e will I be in a worse position to someone who has already submitted their application if I don't submit mine for another few weeks?

Your application to uni won't be disadvantaged by leaving it a bit later, though I would get it in before xmas if at all possible.

With accommodation, it's best to get your application in as soon as possible. Applications open in December, you can apply as soon as you've got an offer, and it's first come first served.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by Origami Bullets
Your application to uni won't be disadvantaged by leaving it a bit later, though I would get it in before xmas if at all possible.

With accommodation, it's best to get your application in as soon as possible. Applications open in December, you can apply as soon as you've got an offer, and it's first come first served.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've made an appointment with the careers dept at my college to go through my application next week, so will hopefully be able to send it off within 3 weeks.

Thats good to know about the accomodation application opening in December. After having a look at the FAQ link you posted, I'm pretty certain I'd be going for one of the 'high demand' rooms. With the accomodation application service, is there any fee attached?

One other question which is a bit more UCAS oriented- my chemistry teacher has predicted me an A but on reflection I feel thats probably a little too high. What would make my application stronger, being predicted an A and getting a B or being predicted a B and getting it?

Thanks for your help :smile:
Hey, I'm applying to Manchester for philosophy. I live just outside of Manchester so it's really a back up choice as I'd like to live somewhere a bit further from home however if anyone has any questions about the city, feel free to ask me :tongue:
Original post by danlocke
I've made an appointment with the careers dept at my college to go through my application next week, so will hopefully be able to send it off within 3 weeks.

Thats good to know about the accomodation application opening in December. After having a look at the FAQ link you posted, I'm pretty certain I'd be going for one of the 'high demand' rooms. With the accomodation application service, is there any fee attached?

One other question which is a bit more UCAS oriented- my chemistry teacher has predicted me an A but on reflection I feel thats probably a little too high. What would make my application stronger, being predicted an A and getting a B or being predicted a B and getting it?

Thanks for your help :smile:

There's no fee attached to the application for accommodation, but when you receive an offer of a place (usually within a week of getting your A2 results), you'll need to pay a £400 pre-payment within 7 days.

If they say that they need an A, then not having a predicted A will likely lead to a rejection.
If you have a predicted A, are given an offer that requires an A, and then get a B, on results day you'll find yourself either (a) outright rejected, (b) offered the foundation course instead, or (c) let in (but you'd have to be incredibly lucky for this to happen, especially as the B would be in your degree subject). If you firmed an AAA offer, you'd better make very sure that you would be happy to go to your insurance.

Essentially, an A prediction will strengthen your application, but if you get a B it will be futile and only lead to misery come results day.

Original post by Wild Nothing
Hey, I'm applying to Manchester for philosophy. I live just outside of Manchester so it's really a back up choice as I'd like to live somewhere a bit further from home however if anyone has any questions about the city, feel free to ask me :tongue:

I do entirely understand the desire to leave home, but I will just note that if you did decide to come to Manchester, then it's unusual in guaranteeing you a space in halls even though you live close by. I have several friends from the Manchester area who moved into halls for uni, and they've lived just as much of an independent lifestyle as those of us who have moved from the other end of the country.

I do entirely understand the desire to leave home, but I will just note that if you did decide to come to Manchester, then it's unusual in guaranteeing you a space in halls even though you live close by. I have several friends from the Manchester area who moved into halls for uni, and they've lived just as much of an independent lifestyle as those of us who have moved from the other end of the country.

I thought that Manchester didn't consider how close you lived to the uni when you apply to halls, I think Man Met does though! Yeah, I'm not worried about the independence aspect of it, it's more the familiarity of it however Manchester would be completely different from a student's perspective. It's not my first choice but I wouldn't be unhappy to go there, I love Manchester :tongue:
Reply 87
Is it true that if u get invited to an interview you are almost for sure going to get an offer at Manchester?
Hey. Applying for biochemistry with a year in industry with, studying biology, chemistry and maths, with physics at AS.

#niceandbrief
Does annyone know:
a) When Manchester generally give out interview invitations
b) What their interviews for biochemistry (or similar) are like
?
Thanks
Original post by Faye_m
Is it true that if u get invited to an interview you are almost for sure going to get an offer at Manchester?

It depends entirely on the course.
Reply 91
There's no fee attached to the application for accommodation, but when you receive an offer of a place (usually within a week of getting your A2 results), you'll need to pay a £400 pre-payment within 7 days.

If they say that they need an A, then not having a predicted A will likely lead to a rejection.
If you have a predicted A, are given an offer that requires an A, and then get a B, on results day you'll find yourself either (a) outright rejected, (b) offered the foundation course instead, or (c) let in (but you'd have to be incredibly lucky for this to happen, especially as the B would be in your degree subject). If you firmed an AAA offer, you'd better make very sure that you would be happy to go to your insurance.

Essentially, an A prediction will strengthen your application, but if you get a B it will be futile and only lead to misery come results day.

Ok thats good to know Re: accommodation application.

The prediction I'm concerned about is for chemistry, for which there is no requirement for the course I am applying for (economic science). So what do you recommend as there is no formal requirement? FYI the course asks for "AAB inc. maths and a B at GCSE English and Maths". My predictions are currently A for Economics, A for maths, A for chemistry (in which I think I will get a B) and undecided for further maths AS but probably an A.

Thanks

EDIT: I should include, I do meet the GCSE english and maths requirement.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 92
Anyone else applying for Biomedical Sciences? :-)
Original post by GD2822
Anyone else applying for Biomedical Sciences? :-)

I am :biggrin: were else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone applying for Medical Biochemistry?
Reply 95
Original post by AliceElizabeth
I am :biggrin: were else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw brilliant! Manchester, Newcastle, sheffield, York and northumbria as a back up! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for electronic engineering :biggrin: Should have my application sent off this evening! :smile: Good luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by c3ntury
Applying for Computer Science, but deferring my entry.

I'm going down to see the university and the nightlife later on on the 5th October, looking forward to it.

I'm applying for computer science too! But not deferring my entry :smile: What did you think of CS at Manchester?
Reply 98
Original post by chanteyd
I'm applying for computer science too! But not deferring my entry :smile: What did you think of CS at Manchester?

Nice! I thought the presentations concentrated more on the ... practical / non-theoretical side of things more than I'd have liked, but overall, I enjoyed it! The nightlife is fantastic by the way (wa'hey for borrowing a friends' ID).

Drop me a PM if you want to chat about it some more, I'd love to hear your ambitions and how your PS is going etc.
Original post by GD2822
Aw brilliant! Manchester, Newcastle, sheffield, York and northumbria as a back up! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manchester sheffield york bristol and birmingham. Similiar. Haha which ones your favourite?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest