The Student Room Group

Maths Resources. {Please reply!!!!!!!!!!!}

I was suggested to buy, if I wanted to dig a little deeper into the maths and try practice problems a bit more challenging than the edexcel textbooks then the old L. Bostock and S.Chandler books for the modules I'm studying would be sufficient. It would be of great pleasure to get an answer to whether this is true, and how good their books are and whether they are better for securing a better grade. I have also heard that the edexcel modular books for some topics/questions are very different to the exam papers questions. Does somebody know a way to get past this? Also if their are any other good books/websites/DVDs please recommend them. I'm interested in C1-4, S1-2, M1-2 D1-2 and FP1-3. :smile: Please help!
(edited 9 years ago)
The Bostock and Chandler books are indeed very good, but aren't laid out along the modern C1, C2, etc pattern, so you will have to do some work to pick and choose the parts that you need.

Bostock and Chandler are also pretty weak on probability and statistics (non-existent, AFAIR), at least in the editions that I'm familiar with.

As for probability and stats, I'm quite a fan of Understanding Statisics by Upton and Cook which covers most (though not all) of the stats and probability that you will need.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by atsruser

Bostock and Chandler are also pretty weak on probability and statistics (non-existent, AFAIR), at least in the editions that I'm familiar with.

As for probability and stats, I'm quite a fan of Understanding Statisics by Upton and Cook which covers most (though not all) of the stats and probability that you will need.

There are separate Bostock and Chandler titles covering probability, statistics and mechanics, although I personally would start with the module-specific texts before looking at wider texts (even though in general I'm a fan of books that treat the subject as a whole, rather than dividing things into artificial modules).

Upton & Cook is a very good book IMHO.

One thing to be wary of with stats books, though, is the use of different conventions and notations e.g. formulas for quartiles etc. These seem to vary by exam board, so again it's best to start with the board-specific books and then use other texts for reinforcement.
Bostock and Chandler books are rather pricey, are they actually any better than the modular books? If they could secure a better grade then it's bought.
Original post by MathMeister
Bostock and Chandler books are rather pricey, are they actually any better than the modular books? If they could secure a better grade then it's bought.

No book can secure a grade for you

We use them to provide a wider range of questions
Original post by TenOfThem
No book can secure a grade for you

We use them to provide a wider range of questions

Ahhh. I see, so I would be more prepared to face a strange exam question, let's say? I also heard they are harder books to test your knowledge/ understanding. Am I correct?
Ahhh. I see, so I would be more prepared to face a strange exam question, let's say? I also heard they are harder books to test your knowledge/ understanding. Am I correct?

yes
Original post by TenOfThem
yes

How do I know what ones to get? Do you know what ones are better?
Reply 8
How do I know what ones to get? Do you know what ones are better?

'Mathematics: The Core Course for A Level' is the important one to get. It's been reprinted a few times - mine has a bright red cover :smile:
Original post by davros
'Mathematics: The Core Course for A Level' is the important one to get. It's been reprinted a few times - mine has a bright red cover :smile:

Why is that one so good above the rest?
Is it this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-The-Core-Course-Level/dp/0859503062 It has a purple/ red cover.
Reply 10
Why is that one so good above the rest?
Is it this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-The-Core-Course-Level/dp/0859503062 It has a purple/ red cover.

Generally speaking, the older textbooks are less dumbed down than the new ones - they may not look visually appealing but you're paying for lots of solid maths practice rather than pictures of fluffy clouds or flying cows or glossy colour pages! This book covers C1-C4 in one volume plus more besides e.g. the basics of complex numbers plus a useful chapter on permutations and combinations (useful if you're going to do stats anyway!). There are some very solid practice exercises and former exam questions to keep you busy - think of it as an investment for the future (and you can always flog it to a future student if you need the money!).

Yes - that's the version I have!

Quick Reply

Latest