The Student Room Group

will this lessen the feelings of anxiety?

if I walk through a local area that is quite rough, will it cure or lessen my anxiety? because if I don't get any trouble there, then I might not get any trouble anywhere, therefore no reason to be anxious.
Probably counselling or self-help books are a better way to deal with anxiety than walking through a rough area. :confused: In fact if you have a constant general feeling of anxiety I'm pretty sure you should seek advice from your doctor so they can refer you to a counsellor or to CBT.

However, it is also good to put yoruself in situations that make you feel uncomfortable be it talking to new people more, getting involved in a new activity etc. I don't think you should walk through a rough area if you aren't used to it... I'm a bit worried about you to be honest please can you seek help asap. X
Original post by Temporality
Probably counselling or self-help books are a better way to deal with anxiety than walking through a rough area. :confused: In fact if you have a constant general feeling of anxiety I'm pretty sure you should seek advice from your doctor so they can refer you to a counsellor or to CBT.

However, it is also good to put yoruself in situations that make you feel uncomfortable be it talking to new people more, getting involved in a new activity etc. I don't think you should walk through a rough area if you aren't used to it... I'm a bit worried about you to be honest please can you seek help asap. X

okay, I will try those things after I try walking through a bad/rough area. i'll do it tomorrow evening, when there's more people about. if I could do that, and nothing happens, I might feel like i'm able to do anything if I can do something like that. thus my thinking is that the anxiety will go after that.
Reply 3
I suffer from anxiety and there's no way in hell that by walking through a 'rough/bad' area would be beneficial towards me. If anything I'd feel scared, and end up walking fast to get away as quick as possible, imo I wouldn't if I were you, you might end up having an anxiety/panic attack due to this. Start out slow, walk through a busy shopping centre, if you feel too anxious in this type of area there's always restaurants you can sit in to calm yourself down. Even by taking a walk in the park may help, just do it piece by piece.

Don't suddenly go all out and decide to walk through a bad area and find yourself feeling more anxious than ever and not feeling safe.

As said above counselling could help if you're that worried about your anxiety, talk with your doctor and get a referral with a counsellor, they will help you no matter what. Good luck :smile:!
Original post by ginajade
I suffer from anxiety and there's no way in hell that by walking through a 'rough/bad' area would be beneficial towards me. If anything I'd feel scared, and end up walking fast to get away as quick as possible, imo I wouldn't if I were you, you might end up having an anxiety/panic attack due to this. Start out slow, walk through a busy shopping centre, if you feel too anxious in this type of area there's always restaurants you can sit in to calm yourself down. Even by taking a walk in the park may help, just do it piece by piece.

Don't suddenly go all out and decide to walk through a bad area and find yourself feeling more anxious than ever and not feeling safe.

As said above counselling could help if you're that worried about your anxiety, talk with your doctor and get a referral with a counsellor, they will help you no matter what. Good luck :smile:!

yeah, it could go pretty wrong, but if it goes right and nothing happens I might be cured of it? because i'm sick of anxiety. :frown: thanks for the advice, even if I do the walk or not, ill do the things you recommended. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ihavequestions.
yeah, it could go pretty wrong, but if it goes right and nothing happens I might be cured of it? because i'm sick of anxiety. :frown: thanks for the advice, even if I do the walk or not, ill do the things you recommended. :smile:

You can't really cure anxiety, you can just learn to deal with it, not sure if that makes sense but yeah. I doubt it'd even go right if I'm honest with you, from my perspective when I think of walking through an area which isn't of the best reputation I do feel horrendously nervous and worried that something would happen to me. I mean, if you were to walk through a bad area and nothing happened then you'd feel a huge sigh of relief, but I don't think it'll change the way you feel next time you decide to walk through an area like that again.

Have you got any medication for your anxiety? That may well help you feel less anxious and control it better without having to feel that you need to walk through bad areas just to feel better. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending