The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ben_Dover
Law, accounting easily top 50k

I dont think most law/accounting grads make 50k.
Computer Science...provided you study at a prestigious university, are passionate (dedicated to learning every in-demand language etc.) and go to London/Dublin/anywhere with a decent tech. industry. A lot of graduates also get into investment banking - especially in London.

However, if you go to a Post-92 university and don't have any passion for it...say goodbye to any hopes of having a decent job (as shown by CompSci having the largest unemployment rates)
Reply 82
Original post by 96jaimin96
But in London it is crap.

Are you crazy? In London it's great as well!!

Not if you have a family and everything.

But without kids, it's great.
Original post by miser
I think most (all?) engineering fields have a high average earning potential. Certainly software engineering (my field). I think STEM degrees in general have a good return.

Can I ask you a couple the questions? :smile:

1. Where did you do your degree?

2. How did you end up working at CERN?

3. What did you normally do at CERN?

4. What do you currently do career-wise?

5. What are your aims?

6. What are your recommendations for someone who wants to study software engineering?

Your responses are GREATLY appreciated!
As someone has already suggested, people's view of the job market is very polarized and to be honest many comes across as sixth form students who haven't gone out into the world and have no idea what it's actually like.

Doing a particular degree doesn't automatically make it more likely that you'll earn a certain salary. The proportion of success very much depends on how competitive the industry is and how capable the individual is. It's just as likely that someone studying a non prestigious degree will end up in a managerial position of some kind by the end of their career. There are a much wider variety of positions that would pay 50k than people seem to be aware of.
Reply 85
Original post by alevelzzz

Law/accounting jump after you complete further study/professional qualifications.

Law is 30-40k straight out of uni, then 2 years training contract after which 50k+ is the lower end with some firms as high as 100k + bonus.

Accounting is 25-35k for the first 3 years while doing qualifications, but jumps after that closer to 45k - most leave accounting after that to climb the ranks to CFO in industry or pursue other opportunities, but 50k+ 4/5 years after graduating isn't a stretch.

Unless your saying that most law/accounting grads don't get jobs as lawyers or accountants - to which I have no idea about the actual numbers, but I'd disagree.

As for the OP, for most careers the specific degree doesn't really matter, so the question doesn't make that much sense.

The degrees that can earn you 50k are those degrees that can get you jobs in banking (50k+bonus to start), law, accounting, medicine, dentistry etc. Obviously uni/extra curriculars etc come into play here as well. These things will get you to 50k very quickly, but it's possible to get 50k without a degree/from an average retail grad scheme/starting a business etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Retail pharmacy makes up the VAST majority of the sector though.

Yes, about 70% of pharmacists in the UK work in community (retail), but that does not mean that other sectors don't exist.
Kinda happy all the money driven students on this site don't have informed opinions. Less competition for the rest of us lel.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
id say itd be industrial first

then community

I hear hospital is paid the worst:?

For the first 5-6 years after qualifying, yes, but afterwards (as you progress up the NHS Agenda for Change bands), a Chief Pharmacist (generally requires 10-15 years post-registration hospital experience) could earn between 77-98k. Much more than a community pharmacist!
Reply 89
Why is that odd lol. Do you think dentists or doctors trained at one uni are going to be less able than those trained at others? That would be absolutely ridiculous haha. Its the same reason why AAA is the entry requirement at every uni.

ye medicine is so hardcore.
Original post by thegodofgod
For the first 5-6 years after qualifying, yes, but afterwards (as you progress up the NHS Agenda for Change bands), a Chief Pharmacist (generally requires 10-15 years post-registration hospital experience) could earn between 77-98k. Much more than a community pharmacist!

Thats an incredibly low number of people.
Thats an incredibly low number of people.

Sure, but my explanation was just in order to dispute your claim that hospital pharmacists get paid the worst out of all the sectors of pharmacy.

after 10-15 years you couldve setup your own place and be earning more

or found a managerial role that pays better in a bigger store

chief pharmacist places are bound to be crazy competitive as it is..

anyways which way are you headed come graduation:?
Original post by Crazy92
Are you crazy? In London it's great as well!!

Not if you have a family and everything.

But without kids, it's great.

Yeah I agree with you. But with 50k you will hardly be able to live near or around city of London though even if you do not have a family.
Reply 94
Original post by Juichiro
Can I ask you a couple the questions? :smile:

Sure, no problem.

1. Where did you do your degree?

I went to UWE in Bristol.

2. How did you end up working at CERN?

The top 15 students in my department were invited to a presentation from a person who had worked at CERN inviting applications to do our industrial placement there. I decided to apply and was eventually accepted. A few months later I got on a plane. :tongue:

3. What did you normally do at CERN?

I mostly developed tools which would provide diagnostics information about the computers in the server farms which would be doing the analysis of particle data from the CMS experiment. The tools would show for example memory usage, applications, etc., to help identify when things weren't working correctly.

4. What do you currently do career-wise?

I'm currently a software engineer in the oil & gas industry.

5. What are your aims?

My career aim is to move into a management role and lead teams of engineers within my present industry.

6. What are your recommendations for someone who wants to study software engineering?

I'd recommend to involve yourself in personal projects which captivate your interest. You learn far more from executing projects you are passionate about than you do from lectures and projects at university, and employers want to hire people who are readily able to demonstrate their passion with concrete examples of experience. In my case before I got to university I had run a number of software projects by myself and collaboratively - different languages, platforms, etc. When you have got legitimate experience before even starting your course it makes it a hell of a lot easier (I hardly had to work until my second year) - you're a million miles ahead of most other people who have little if any experience of coding at all.

Your responses are GREATLY appreciated!

No problem. Hope it was helpful.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
after 10-15 years you couldve setup your own place and be earning more

or found a managerial role that pays better in a bigger store

chief pharmacist places are bound to be crazy competitive as it is..

anyways which way are you headed come graduation:?

Setting up your own place = lots more hours being put in. In hospital, you put in 37.5 hours per week, that's it. So the likelihood is that you'll be making better bucks per hour in hospital than in community owning your own place. That is if you don't open up a small chain of pharmacies. But even then you'll probably be out-competed by the multiples.

Yeah, I guess they're competitive, but they have to be - Chief Pharmacists often manage a staff of 100+ pharmacists / technicians / dispensers.

I'd personally like to go in to hospital pharmacy - I work at the moment in community at an independent pharmacy, so I'd like to experience something different. How about you?
Reply 96
Original post by 96jaimin96
Yeah I agree with you. But with 50k you will hardly be able to live near or around city of London though even if you do not have a family.

I make over 50, as do many of my colleagues and they live very close to the city. No one actually lives in "The city" as it's all businesses.

Most law grads do and quite a few accounting grads do too, especially if you're working for the big 4
Setting up your own place = lots more hours being put in. In hospital, you put in 37.5 hours per week, that's it. So the likelihood is that you'll be making better bucks per hour in hospital than in community owning your own place. That is if you don't open up a small chain of pharmacies. But even then you'll probably be out-competed by the multiples.

Yeah, I guess they're competitive, but they have to be - Chief Pharmacists often manage a staff of 100+ pharmacists / technicians / dispensers.

I'd personally like to go in to hospital pharmacy - I work at the moment in community at an independent pharmacy, so I'd like to experience something different. How about you?

ive known people whove done just that..and are competed with the multiples

I get experience in the hospital and yes its in ireland but things are much the same..the chief pharmacist gave up a lot more than her 9-5 or she wouldnt be a chief pharmacist..

its the creme de la creme..

im the opposite Im doing a work placement in the hospital although i get the odd weekend in community.id like to at least try out a pharmaceutical but I heard its the least enjoyable and I have other plans for next summer:P

either way its not easy..the days of setting up your own pharmacy are gone..Il either work in the multiples, try for hospital (you and I know how competitive they are!:O) but with decent results and experience I might just have a chance
Original post by Ben_Dover
Most law grads do and quite a few accounting grads do too, especially if you're working for the big 4

I doubt it. Theres like 1000000 law and accountancy grads, the best jobs are very heavily oversubscribed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending