The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Medicine and dentistry are an obvious answer, after that it gets a little blurry and it depends on the university and courses.
Wondering what you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
english, psychology, sociology, anything with studies in the name..
Original post by StevieA
english, psychology, sociology, anything with studies in the name..

Sarcasm or...?
Reply 3
Original post by alevelzzz
Medicine and dentistry are an obvious answer, after that it gets a little blurry and it depends on the university and courses.

Engineers...
Original post by Kasa
Engineers...

yes, they're probably quite likely.
Are they as likely as medics/dentists?
From what I've seen earning 60k as an engineer is usually only for very experienced individuals ~15 years +
Reply 5
Mathematics graduates have the potential to make loads
Original post by plusC
Mathematics graduates have the potential to make loads

Potential being the key word. Im well aware of the world of investment bankers' earnings lol
Reply 7
Potential being the key word. Im well aware of the world of investment bankers' earnings lol

Yeah if they apply their maths wisely then they can go far beyond 50k depending on the career, hence why I said potential. If you want to go into academia/research, you won't earn that much
Original post by plusC
Yeah if they apply their maths wisely then they can go far beyond 50k depending on the career, hence why I said potential. If you want to go into academia/research, you won't earn that much

That was the point of the thread though 'the most likely' I'd argue that mathematics graduates ON THE WHOLE are not likely to earn 50k+
Would you agree?
Starting salary for investment bankers is 50k so there's that...

Not necessarily about the degree, but the job. Many jobs don't have a set degree which they require, surprisingly this applies in finance quite a lot.
Reply 10
That was the point of the thread though 'the most likely' I'd argue that mathematics graduates ON THE WHOLE are not likely to earn 50k+
Would you agree?

I would agree, but that's because all mathematics graduates aren't the same calibere due to the differences in teaching (whilst with medicine most of them become doctors), if you surveyed a prestigious uni for their mathematics graduates I imagine over 30years or so you'd see many top earners
Original post by plusC
I would agree, but that's because all mathematics graduates aren't the same calibere due to the differences in teaching (whilst with medicine most of them become doctors), if you surveyed a prestigious uni for their mathematics graduates I imagine over 30years or so you'd see many top earners

Thats why I adressed this in the post apart from medicine and dentistry, all other degrees' worth is based on the university its from.
I think a lot of people dont realise how much 50k really is on TSR too. Outside of London, 50k is a SERIOUSLY good salary.
From a pharmacist's perspective: hospital pharmacists, industrial pharmacists, and some community pharmacists
yes, they're probably quite likely.
Are they as likely as medics/dentists?
From what I've seen earning 60k as an engineer is usually only for very experienced individuals ~15 years +

A ~37 year old on 60K? that's a very adequate amount. Realistically speaking, most RAES/Ceng and some IENG engineers can easily make over 50K a year.

From personal experience, I know of people on around £50k who did chemistry, physics, biochemistry, computer science and engineering. Tbf I also know of people who didn't get a degree and they're on more as well
Original post by GeogBerry
From personal experience, I know of people on around £50k who did chemistry, physics, biochemistry, computer science and engineering. Tbf I also know of people who didn't get a degree and they're on more as well

'Most likely' to earn.
'Most likely' to earn.

They look like degrees that are most likely to me
Original post by thegodofgod
From a pharmacist's perspective: hospital pharmacists, industrial pharmacists, and some community pharmacists

id say itd be industrial first

then community

I hear hospital is paid the worst:?
Reply 18
highest earners will be the top end finance/maths grads. but there will be a higher % of medics who are 50k+
Most graduates will earn 50k+ since wage increases are on the up. Considering how long we will likely work, the average wage could easily break 50k before we retire.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending