The Student Room Group

English Literature A2

I'm going to study English Lit at A2 - For coursework you have to compare two books of your choice. I just wanted to ask for recommendations on any books in these genres
-Mystery
-Romance
-Adventure
-Action

Thank you :smile:
Original post by the4thmonth
I'm going to study English Lit at A2 - For coursework you have to compare two books of your choice. I just wanted to ask for recommendations on any books in these genres
-Mystery
-Romance
-Adventure
-Action

Just moving this to the English section for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the4thmonth
-Mystery
-Romance
-Adventure
-Action

So obviously, you want to make a thematic link to your novels (I presume you mean novels as you said books).

I'm not going to give you a huge list, because I'm not going to do your research for you. Yes it's summer, but let's not turn lazy!

Mystery: there's loads, however I'm not into mystery books. You could pick a few from Doyle.
Romance: it's a long list. You should change Romance to Love instead. Then narrow it down for example: maternal love, familial love, homosexual love, marriage love, forbidden love, etc.
Adventure: The Catcher in the Rye, Huckleberry Finn, My Bondage and My Freedom, Treasure Island, The Sea Wolf, The Beach.
Action: I think this is the same as adventure?
Are you doing LITB4?

Make sure you pick novels that have very similar thematics, but interpret them in very different ways. I got full marks in all four pieces of coursework for both AS and A2, and a large portion of this attainment was down to picking the right novels to discuss.

Mystery: The Woman in Black, Pere Goriot, The Fountainhead
Romance: Madame Bovary, Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, The Idiot, Pride and Prejudice, Mrs Dalloway
Adventure: She, Frankenstein, The Heart of Darkness, Treasure Island
Action: Not really sure...and perhaps a difficult genre to compare within.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending