The Student Room Group

What is the point of Malala?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think the OP is resentful she's done more and is more intelligent (which is more than grades or academia) at 17 than he is, or most were at that stage on this forum....

And what does "what has she done?" mean exactly? I think the pertinent point is "what will she do?" She's still young and her foundation is helping people.
Original post by TheGuyReturns
There's a very real chance that I'm just completely ignorant on this subject, but to me it seems Malala is just some over-hyped, overrated, possibly pretentious (we'll get to that) teenager.

She spoke out against the Taliban, like plenty of other people, was targeted to be killed, like plenty of other people and then was lucky enough to have seemingly competent doctors at hand to save her. That seems to literally be what Malala boils down to. So now she flies around the world, making speeches where she refers to herself in the third person while she talks about generic topics that every politician, world leader and activist goes on about already... from what I can see making no impact whatsoever. Quite recently she made a trip to Nigeria, where the president "promised her" that the government will "bring back our girls". Obviously that was their intention in the first place, what exactly did Malala achieve by making this visit? She also won a nobel peace prize... I am honestly very confused.

Firstly, having actually heard her speak, I think your summary of her is unfair. She's an extremely intelligent young girl and almost more importantly, she's a powerful symbol for the opposition to oppression. However, I would agree that I'm not sure she's the most deserving recipient of the Nobel Peace Price. She's very much a "Crowd favourite" in my view. I'd have rather seen Snowdon receive the prize, although that obviously wouldn't happen.
Original post by armistiz
I think the OP is resentful she's done more and is more intelligent (which is more than grades or academia) at 17 than he is, or most were at that stage on this forum....

And what does "what has she done?" mean exactly? I think the pertinent point is "what will she do?" She's still young and her foundation is helping people.

Oh look, yet another vague ****ing comment with no actual damn substance at all, which simply points out how she is a good person and I, apparently, am a ****ty person. :rolleyes: Like I have said to other posters in this thread, please do enlighten me, what exactly is it that she has done. Not some vague **** about how she is nice/intelligent/whatever, what she has DONE. PLEASE.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Oh look, yet another vague ****ing comment with no actual damn substance at all, which simply points out how she is a good person and I, apparently, am a ****ty person. :rolleyes: Like I have said to other posters in this thread, please do enlighten me, what exactly is it that she has done. Not some vague **** about how she is nice/intelligent/whatever, what she has DONE. PLEASE.

haha...sorry, I just think you're envious of her.....

And I just stated my opinion, just as you have done....I'm not interested in a discussion, just commenting on your envy of her..
"what will she do?"

And I just stated my opinion, just as you have done....I'm not interested in a discussion, just commenting on your envy of her..

So basically, I asked everyone what she has done, you said she's great and it's about what she WILL DO and me ****ty, I asked you AGAIN what she has done, you said I'm ****ty and you reply with this.

What a joke. :rofl:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Why do I need to discuss this with you? meh, I don't care, I just offered my opinion on the topic at hand....
I get what you're trying to say... The only thing shes physically done is get shot, make speeches and receive awards. However, besides this, she's a symbol to young, oppressed women everywhere that cower in fear of extremism, shes standing up for them and she's campaigning for equality from an insiders point of view- I think part of her appeal is the fact that she isn't a white middle aged politician speaking about such things- shes lived it. She was a victim for sharing her views, and she prevailed, and fights against those who condemned her for simply supporting human rights. Shes brave, and she is trying to raise awareness- which she succeeds in doing, even if she is a tad overexposed in the media. Thats what she "does" I suppose.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why do I need to discuss this with you? meh, I don't care, I just offered my opinion on the topic at hand....

When you lose an almost-maybe-not-really-argument, just say you don't care. Classic.
Meh who cares she's probably more intelligent than you haters
Reply 29
Sorry, this your post has strengthened my desire not to engage with you.....I don't do "battles" over the Web with strangers, it's not my style/scene...

Good night, i'll leave you to your envy of a person who most likely doesn't give a damn who you are...
Sorry, this your post has strengthened my desire not to engage with you.....I don't do "battles" over the Web with strangers, it's not my style/scene...

Good night, i'll leave you to your envy of a person who most likely doesn't give a damn who you are...

:lol:
Reply 31
lol...clearly you don't comprehend English...

Suffice to say I and others of a similar standpoint only offered what we think...that's all that needs to be said and done.
More deserving than Obama or the EU, for what it's worth (not much)
lol...clearly you don't comprehend English...

Suffice to say I and others of a similar standpoint only offered what we think...that's all that needs to be said and done.

:lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
She's 'famous' for being shot, meeting famous people etc. I've seen far more articulate and intelligent young girls. She certainly is fighting for a good cause, though.
She's a feel good figure head for women's/girls rights and other similar stuffs. A bit like pudsey if pudsey were a little boy who'd survived some hard to treat cancer, which loads of others have also survived and survive due to the hard work of medical staff and not anything to do with themselves, but that didn't grab media attention the right way, rather than being a stuffed bear.
(edited 9 years ago)
thread is silly..

What is the point of a person..

Well, usually to survive, re-produce, support those they care about, indulge in pleasures etc. etc.

But you seem to be looking for something very tanagable.. so ok:

She helped set up the malala fund which invests money into education, training, and community solutions in third world countries..

-- not bad really.. Especially when you consider its only just began, and will likely grow through her life.

Is she the most kind, generous, amazing, wonderful person on the earth? who knows, almost certianly not, and it almost certinaly matter..

But she is using her fame to invest real money into communities that need it..

Will her work make a difference? well, maybe we can judge that in the future.. but at the moment honestly your thread just stinks of jelousy..

So what is the point of her? well given most people have not set up charitable funds by 17 years old, and go their whole lives without doing as much.. I would say there is a good point to her..

I dont think she is the most amazing person, and certianly NOT deserving of a nobel prize yet.. but to be very critical of someone devoting their time to helping others... is well, a bit harsh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fallen_acorns
thread is silly..

What is the point of a person..

Well, usually to survive, re-produce, support those they care about, indulge in pleasures etc. etc.

But you seem to be looking for something very tanagable.. so ok:

She helped set up the malala fund which invests money into education, training, and community solutions in third world countries..

-- not bad really.. Especially when you consider its only just began, and will likely grow through her life.

Is she the most kind, generous, amazing, wonderful person on the earth? who knows, almost certianly not, and it almost certinaly matter..

But she is using her fame to invest real money into communities that need it..

Will her work make a difference? well, maybe we can judge that in the future.. but at the moment honestly your thread just stinks of jelousy..

So what is the point of her? well given most people have not set up charitable funds by 17 years old, and go their whole lives without doing as much.. I would say there is a good point to her..

Pretty good post until I got to the end.

1. Ah, question someone who everyone likes even slightly and the jealousy card will for certain be thrown at you. How original. :rolleyes:

2. You are the product of your environment. Most 17 year olds don't fall into a situation that they can build from and eventually set up charitable funds.
Pretty good post until I got to the end.

1. Ah, question someone who everyone likes even slightly and the jealousy card will for certain be thrown at you. How original. :rolleyes:

2. You are the product of your environment. Most 17 year olds don't fall into a situation that they can build from and eventually set up charitable funds.

1 - maybe most go to it, because its the first thing that strikes most people about your post? its not exactly subtle..

2 - Your correct, most people dont have the opertunity to do what she has done, but that does not devlaue her doing so when given the chance.. Just consider how many people get fame and fortune and do not give much of it back

I strongly do not think she has done enough yet to warrant a nobel prize.. but to ask what is the point of her, and what has she done?

Well in just the same way as the kid who gives his pocket money to a good cause, or any perosn who helps others.. she has done good.

The amounts are not important, millions or pennys, it does not matter, as people can only give what their circumstance dictates, but anyone who does choose to give however much back to others who need help - has more then a strong point to their life.
haha...sorry, I just think you're envious of her.....

That is not an argument. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest