The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

City University London or Edinburgh for Law?

Hey there,

Been recently studying law at the University of Edinburgh for the past year. However, have had a really awful time over the year and was so bad I intended on dropping out, and also don't think doing a Scottish law degree was that useful. So very recently, applied to some other Universities in London for law, my IB scores were not high enough for UCL, got rejected from King's, LSE and Queen Mary and the only university that took me in was City University London. However, from reading league tables and other reviews City seems really bad? My parents really want me to go to London because they were worried about me in Edinburgh ( I hated it so much I was on antidepressants) but am very concerned about if I am making the right decision or not, or whether I should go back to Edinburgh and try everything out again. Am I making the right choice?

Thanks!
I'd be inclined to take a year out and work on getting better. Any decision made in a rush and a state of vulnerability is quite likely to be the wrong one, and you have no more chances to use up with student finance if you find that things are no better at City when you start in September. There's no rush.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I can't help you with which would be better for you, but I would suggest you give a lot of thought to how big the change would be if you went to London - in terms of surroundings. An enormous, incredibly busy metropolis with thousands of people scurrying around. I'd wager it's a lot more noisy and hectic when compared to Edinburgh. That may be your perfect cup of tea, or it could be your nightmare, it entirely depends on you.

May I ask you what made for such a horrible experience for you at Edinburgh?
Reply 3
Original post by Jellyfox96
Hey there,

Been recently studying law at the University of Edinburgh for the past year. However, have had a really awful time over the year and was so bad I intended on dropping out, and also don't think doing a Scottish law degree was that useful. So very recently, applied to some other Universities in London for law, my IB scores were not high enough for UCL, got rejected from King's, LSE and Queen Mary and the only university that took me in was City University London. However, from reading league tables and other reviews City seems really bad? My parents really want me to go to London because they were worried about me in Edinburgh ( I hated it so much I was on antidepressants) but am very concerned about if I am making the right decision or not, or whether I should go back to Edinburgh and try everything out again. Am I making the right choice?

Thanks!

Hey!
It sound like you are really not enjoying yourself.
Why has it been so bad for you? Is the work intense, do you not like the course or do you not like the city? Depending on the reason, different solutions could help you.

I have honestly never heard of City University London, and I don't think a law degree from there will have the same prestige that an Edinburgh law degree would carry. However, it might be the better choice for you if you don't like Edinburgh. However, if it is the course or uni life that you don't like then moving to another university to do law might not actually be helpful.

If you could give more specific reasons why you are having a bad time at Edinburgh (city, uni, the people, the course, etc) then we can help you better.
Edinburgh law degree is very prestigious. Almost worth sticking out for. Maybe take a year out and clear your head?
Reply 5

Thanks!

I've been in your exact situation when I first started my first degree at Bath, I hated it the first year, but hoped it would get better the second year - it didn't. I ended up re-applying to start another degree in London (mildly related to what I was doing at Bath) in the middle of my second year.
I dropped out as soon as I got an offer from another uni. Wasted so much time, but honestly it was the best decision I ever made. If you really feel like Edinburgh is not the right city for you and you're miserable, don't wait. It never got better for me and I wish I dropped out sooner.

Your mental health is just as important as your education and London is great for work experience, so even if the degree might be slightly less regarded, you may well make up for it by getting good work experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ally-x
I've been in your exact situation when I first started my first degree at Bath, I hated it the first year, but hoped it would get better the second year - it didn't. I ended up re-applying to start another degree in London (mildly related to what I was doing at Bath) in the middle of my second year.
I dropped out as soon as I got an offer from another uni. Wasted so much time, but honestly it was the best decision I ever made. If you really feel like Edinburgh is not the right city for you and you're miserable, don't wait. It never got better for me and I wish I dropped out sooner.

Your mental health is just as important as your education and London is great for work experience, so even if the degree might be slightly less regarded, you may well make up for it by getting good work experience.

this is such a helpful answer!! :smile: thank you so much!!! Hope your happier in London too!! Yeah I reckon I'm going to go to City!! thank you!! :smile:
city does English and welsh law and Edinburgh does Scots law
Reply 8
this is such a helpful answer!! :smile: thank you so much!!! Hope your happier in London too!! Yeah I reckon I'm going to go to City!! thank you!! :smile:

I am so glad I could help :smile: All the best to you!

Quick Reply