Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A-levels choice help

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will have my Tutor interview on the 29th August. I will have to bring in my GCSE results, aswell as other things. But the problem is I cant decide between my A-levels. I want to take Economics, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics but my College doesnt let me more than 4 A-levels.

So I dont know which to chose especially since that I equally prefer a Master in Physics, to Master in Chemistry, a Medicine Degree, a Bachelors in Economics and a Master in Mathematics. I dont know which subject (Bio, Chem, Phy, Econ, Maths) to drop.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well which subject d you believe you will least use in your future?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Difficult decision. Looking at your plans, I think that Economics or Physics might be the best to drop.

For a Medicine, Chemistry or Physics degree, they wouldn't care about Economics -- and Economics isn't actually required to study for an Economics degree either. Mathematics will be more important.

Likewise, Physics wouldn't be required for a Chemistry degree (though useful, I think most places ask for Chemistry and one other science - you'd have Biology).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would look up the entry requirements for some of the unis you might consider.

To have the option of studying all of those at Oxford (since they have a nice handy table I could look these up in ), you'd need chemistry, physics and maths which would leave you with not doing economics or not doing biology.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki)
    To have the option of studying all of those at Oxford (since they have a nice handy table I could look these up in ), you'd need chemistry, physics and maths which would leave you with not doing economics or not doing biology.
    True, but I think you would definitely be disadvantaged if you didn't have Biology if applying for a Medicine degree.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki)
    I would look up the entry requirements for some of the unis you might consider.

Do you have an electronic version of this?

It sounds handy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    seaspray, Economics is not required for Economics but I dont want to disadvantage myself for not taking it at A-levels. If I dropped Physics how will it become possible for me to do Physics?

(Original post by unfinished sympathy)
    well which subject d you believe you will least use in your future?
    Biology.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    u need biology for some universities for Medicine though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    True, but I think you would definitely be disadvantaged if you didn't have Biology if applying for a Medicine degree.
    Quite possibly, I don't know much about applying for medicine, but you wouldn't get anywhere at all without the requirements.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I decide to drop Biology so I can put my strength towards Economics (with Economics and Math A-levels) or Physics, Chemistry (I will make a formal decision in the later stages of my A-levels)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by denzil)
    Do you have an electronic version of this?

It sounds handy.
    Yup, it's on their website: http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/enreq.shtml

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 22, 2006
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.